Amida Brimah's Legacy | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah's Legacy

Reaction Score
I thought about this after the game. He made significant contributions his freshman year and certainly during the Tourney (beyond the St. Joes 3 point play). His blocked shots in the kentucky game were memorable, especially considering the "mighty uk front line'. In the biggest game of his life he imposed his will and let them know he was there.

DHam and him were music making match his sophomore year.

Last year he helped us win the AAC Championship Game and was rewarded with a Trophy.

Sure we all wished it turned out better, but perhaps he has maxed out his talent on the D1 level. If an NBA team were to invest in Brimah, and I mean strength/weight/conditioning/skills with a lot of oversight in a D league environment he could just make a nice living in the states and prove us all wrong.

I will say that he is a poster child of why 'projects' should carefully choose schools which will improve their game. No offense to our Coach but a 'rookie' Coach may not have been the best for him (individually wise), but I don't recall him being highly recruited anyway. Overall he can't complain about his basketball life at UConn, many Centers with more talent wish they had his position the last four years. So teamwise he's had a hellava ride under Ollie.

Perhaps we should just enjoy whatever we can from him, and send him off with some cheers and Thank You. Personally I don't like to see him frown or be upset, his jovial teeth smiling face is his UConn trademark and I will miss it when he leaves.

The one thing we can all remember him for is his ability to alter and block a lot of shots! All opposing Coaches and Players know his name, that's a nice legacy to tell his children one day. I can see him smiling and bragging when he tells his story and shows off his ring and Trophies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
He may not be called for as many fouls in a pro setting. On the other hand, he will get pushed around a lot. But at least he can stay on the court without foul trouble, and he can also then block shots. Handfighting, pushing, fighting for position, all allowed when the grown men are out there. The problem is of course that he will feel the brunt of the pushing, but as long as you don't expect him to do anything offensively, or to rebound, he can stay on the court and block shots.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He may not be called for as many fouls in a pro setting. On the other hand, he will get pushed around a lot. But at least he can stay on the court without foul trouble, and he can also then block shots. Handfighting, pushing, fighting for position, all allowed when the grown men are out there. The problem is of course that he will feel the brunt of the pushing, but as long as you don't expect him to do anything offensively, or to rebound, he can stay on the court and block shots.
A pro setting?

Reaction Score
The legacy of the contributions in the championship run of course. He'll be the player nobody wanted, but most will miss when he's gone. Like next year, when other teams are taking it to the rim anytime they want and there's nobody there to block the shot.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Come on BU10. Brimah will be a first round NBA pick with Adams in the spring!
I was just asking for clarification really. Brimah can certainly find a role in an overseas league if he so chooses to,I am confident in that, but if the post was in reference to the NBA then he must be out of his mind.

Reaction Score
He's a fantastic defender with holes in his game which people love to complain about. He's cold lately, but he's been huge for the program and probably doesn't get enough credit for the good he has done. People will miss him next year.

Reaction Score
A pro setting?

Yes, a pro setting. There are a lot of them. Souleymane Wane played in Europe for several years. But it doesn't have to be Europe, could be any continent.

Reaction Score
I was just asking for clarification really. Brimah can certainly find a role in an overseas league if he so chooses to,I am confident in that, but if the post was in reference to the NBA then he must be out of his mind.

Sigh. If I meant NBA I would have written NBA. I mean, I wrote "Pro Setting" for a reason. What is with you people?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Great kid, great enthusiasm, very good defender, unfortunate basketball mind which lead to a much lower ceiling than most (if not all) anticipated.

Author of one of the most important plays in UCONN history. Key cog in winning a program-righting championship.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If Brimah doesn't hold the school record for fouls committed in his career already, he's closing in on it.

Reaction Score
He'll likely be among the most misunderstood players in UConn history, for better or worse. The consensus - that he's great defensively and terrible offensively - is not supported, to my knowledge, by any factual data. By my count, he's occasionally great defensively - but sometimes a liability - and generally useful offensively depending on the match-up.

It's important to consider that his on/off splits are very much colored by what we've had behind him (which hasn't been much). That we crater with him off the court is less a credit to him than it is an indictment on how sanctions, injuries, etc. have compromised our depth.

Still: there is nothing to suggest that he's not a player who has consistently helped us win when he is out there. The same has not always been true of our other seniors. Conversely, it's also fair to wonder if he's the worst type of player to have on your team - good enough that he has to be depended on, but not actually, you know, dependable.

The project is still a huge success at large. It looked like it was going to be a monumental success at times, though, and when what you think is your greatest asset isn't, maybe it turns out to be your greatest handicap.

I won't have anything but warm feelings for him, though. He helped us win a championship, and these last three years fell on his shoulders only because he was our best option. I'll take him on my team every time. I can't say that about a senior Purvis or an early-season Facey. I don't even care if it's one of our vintage teams, I'll take him on my team because he has a skill set that better players can't replicate.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If Brimah doesn't hold the school record for fouls committed in his career already, he's closing in on it.
What really hurt both him and the team was that those fouls were in such few minutes as well. So often in big games he would almost instantly get two fouls and wind up
on the bench for the whole half. All that defensive presence (blocking and altering shots) even without rebounds was really intimidating to opposing teams. Kind of tragic
because he did not lack intensity. Hope he can continue to grow; have to remember how few years he actually played basketball. Will also remember him winning the Husky run every year he was in it I think which is kind of incredible for a 7 footer.

Reaction Score
I would love he see his fouls per minutes played stat. I see a very limited, and short professional career in his future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom