Amida Brimah's Legacy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah's Legacy

Reaction Score
We will have to agree to disagree on this.

He is the best defensive player in the AAC and one of the best in D1. We are a good defensive team with him on the floor and atrocious when he's off, and not all of that is attributable to Enoch's shortcomings.

As for where he blocks his shots too -- if a shot is blocked and kept in play it's likely to be picked up by the offensive team and put back for a score - better to put it in the stands and get ready to play some D. The only shot blocker I ever saw who could direct his block to his own team's players was Bill Russel -- it's a myth that this is some problem with Brimah.

He has become a better rebounder, the facts on that are clear, and his offense will not keep him from the NBA because they won't ever want him to touch the ball on that side of the court.

His biggest problem as a player is staying on the floor, I am very disappointed with that aspect of his play this year, but that only emphasizes how valuable he is when he's out there.

His legacy is that he gave it his all, every game, even when he was just cheering from the bench, and he was a big contributor on a championship team. That's a better legacy than most. And I fully agree with the poster who said you'll first miss him next year -- you don't miss your water ...

Not even close to the best defensive player in the AAC, certainly not in the country and not even on the team maybe. He was schooled out of the clock this year vs Wagner and 6'7 white dude who threw his shoulder into him and scored probably more than he did the rest of the year vs anyone. His defense will also keep him from the NBA we know he's pitiful offensively but he has zero defensive ability vs physical bigs and that's all he will see. He can't rebound worth a squat in all reality you overrate him immensely. Can't hedge well, doesn't move his feet when he needs to help - believe it or not this is ALL part of defense not just blocking shots. He blocks shots, that's it and every 3 or so he even keeps them in play.

Won't miss him at sorry (we will miss Facey now that he actually gets it and improved though) - will be able to play 5 on 5 on offense too which will be great and even adding an extra guard will give us more rebounds if we go small. Zero shot in the NBA ever just not a smart enough basketball player. Admit he's a great kid, love his cheering but unfortunately for us this was his best attribute. I wish him luck and for his sake I hope you're right but the NBA is not even looking is my guess. Imagine getting in foul trouble vs 6'9 centers who aren't very good or even that physical then think about him vs any NBA center - ouch painful thought.

Agree to disagree we aren't close.

Reaction Score
A good, solid shot blocker, but rarely leading to anything useful offensively (into the stands!), too many fouls too quickly, fouls out a lot, needs to work on his foot work on the offensive end.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The legacy of the contributions in the championship run of course. He'll be the player nobody wanted, but most will miss when he's gone. Like next year, when other teams are taking it to the rim anytime they want and there's nobody there to block the shot.

He has been sitting more than playing this year so why would teams be taking it to the rim next year and not this season? Nobody has taken it to the rim with him in there this year? Don't understand this logic.
The guy is not accountable to himself or his team for the lack of understanding the importance of playing within the limits of the rules and staying in the game. Nor will I understand how a guy of this size has not improved his foot skills, his ability to catch a ball, the desire to rise up and grab a rebound or gain a defensive position on a 1 on 1 situation. It's not the coaching. I think it's a lack of desire on his part to improve and work on these areas - it's easier to be an occasional fly swatter. He has needed to become a tougher and stronger player and to date that has failed to happen - that requires a stronger heart and again, desire.
AB is a great ambassador for the program and I wish he had decided to play basketball earlier in life. But most guys get better - he has, in my opinion, stagnated.
I wish him luck in the future but I see no way he plays in the NBA - but maybe I'll be wrong

Reaction Score
He has been sitting more than playing this year so why would teams be taking it to the rim next year and not this season? Nobody has taken it to the rim with him in there this year? Don't understand this logic.
The guy is not accountable to himself or his team for the lack of understanding the importance of playing within the limits of the rules and staying in the game. Nor will I understand how a guy of this size has not improved his foot skills, his ability to catch a ball, the desire to rise up and grab a rebound or gain a defensive position on a 1 on 1 situation. It's not the coaching. I think it's a lack of desire on his part to improve and work on these areas - it's easier to be an occasional fly swatter. He has needed to become a tougher and stronger player and to date that has failed to happen - that requires a stronger heart and again, desire.
AB is a great ambassador for the program and I wish he had decided to play basketball earlier in life. But most guys get better - he has, in my opinion, stagnated.
I wish him luck in the future but I see no way he plays in the NBA - but maybe I'll be wrong

Amazing to me that the only thing they see is a blocked shot and he's "dominating". Never hear the apologists talk about the little guard scoring in his face because he was lining it up but swung (literally) and missed. Or the block OOB's which leads to an open 2 on the in bounds, or the missed rebounds which continuously go off his hands on the defensive side, which by the way is part of defense. The swat down to fold someone when at 7' all he had to do was hold his arms straight up and not foul and the offensive guy wasn't going to get the ball to the rim.

Listen have to love the kid for his passion and charisma, but no one owes it to say he's better than he actually is. It seems some of you do that and the loyalty is inspiring. I really hope he finds a way to make a living from the game and is happy doing so I really do. But anyone who wants any more of that frustration we've lived for 4 years now is plain crazy, to me of course and Lord knows it's just one crazy man's opinion!;)

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Amazing to me that the only thing they see is a blocked shot and he's "dominating". Never hear the apologists talk about the little guard scoring in his face because he was lining it up but swung (literally) and missed. Or the block OOB's which leads to an open 2 on the in bounds, or the missed rebounds which continuously go off his hands on the defensive side, which by the way is part of defense. The swat down to fold someone when at 7' all he had to do was hold his arms straight up and not foul and the offensive guy wasn't going to get the ball to the rim.

Listen have to love the kid for his passion and charisma, but no one owes it to say he's better than he actually is. It seems some of you do that and the loyalty is inspiring. I really hope he finds a way to make a living from the game and is happy doing so I really do. But anyone who wants any more of that frustration we've lived for 4 years now is plain crazy, to me of course and Lord knows it's just one crazy man's opinion!;)
Brimah's defensive dominance can be easily neutralized by drawing him away from the basket and making him move his feet. His lack of lateral quickness is the key to his lack of development as a player. It's why he can't rebound out of his area, why he has such a limited post up game, and why he's constantly reaching and committing so many fouls. He's a lumbering giraffe in a game of lions and rhinos.

Reaction Score

It's simple to understand. Just subtract this year's MPG for Brimah from next year's team, and you have less MOG at the center position.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's really simple, Brimah was a soccer player from Africa until the age of 15, and then someone noticed his height and put a basketball in his hands. The rest is history, I'd say he has accomplished a lot relative to his starting position, maybe expectations at a program like UConn are simply too high, maybe why I think we have invested too heavily in the "raw projects" game lately. Programs like UConn produce inherently high expectations, and guys who need to be taught the game will really only lead to disappointment and frustration.

Reaction Score
It's really simple, Brimah was a soccer player from Africa until the age of 15, and then someone noticed his height and put a basketball in his hands. The rest is history, I'd say he has accomplished a lot relative to his starting position, maybe expectations at a program like UConn are simply too high, maybe why I think we have invested too heavily in the "raw projects" game lately. Programs like UConn produce inherently high expectations, and guys who need to be taught the game will really only lead to disappointment and frustration.

This is true unless they can learn and bring it on to the basketball court. Again not AB's fault he wasn't a student of the game didn't have the ability to learn the game. But others have played late in their careers and been real good players it's just a matter of being coachable or not. The kid from Penn State averaging 9/8 in this his redshirt freshman year also started playing at 15 and he thinks the game like a kid who played AAU all his life.

Like this 2* kid we're looking at, has he progressed while in HS at all, has he shown development in a year, 2 or 3? If he's just 6'11 and looks like he might be able to play I'm hoping now the coaches learned there needs to be some natural instincts somewhere in that game also or it may be a waste of time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Like this 2* kid we're looking at, has he progressed while in HS at all, has he shown development in a year, 2 or 3? If he's just 6'11 and looks like he might be able to play I'm hoping now the coaches learned there needs to be some natural instincts somewhere in that game also or it may be a waste of time.

You know, I don't think it's that simple though. When a kid is that raw, and has been exposed to the game for such a short time, it's gotta be difficult as hell to predict. How do you know when/if it will click? Even coachable kids look mentally challenged at first.

Basically, if a kid has height, athleticism, and some semblance of ability, you just hope he can catch on. It's easy for us to say it was never there after the fact.

Reaction Score
Brimah's defensive dominance can be easily neutralized by drawing him away from the basket and making him move his feet. His lack of lateral quickness is the key to his lack of development as a player. It's why he can't rebound out of his area, why he has such a limited post up game, and why he's constantly reaching and committing so many fouls. He's a lumbering giraffe in a game of lions and rhinos.

I have always been a Brimah supporter. I have to admit, your post brings some very good insight. Thanks.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Let's get this straight-Amida Brimah was a 3 star recruit who was never built to be a physical beast of a center.
Despite having only played basketball for a handful of years (I believe?), being a mostly one-dimensional player, and us having a seemingly sub-par development system for big men at UConn, he was a great husky.

10, 20 years from now, when I think of Amida Brimah I will think of his basket against St. Joe's, alley-oops from Daniel Hamilton, the times when he blocks 2 or 3 shots in one possession, and running across the court holding the "UCONN" on his shirt after winning the national championship before falling over.
^Because that's all that really matters.
AR-141119955.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Let's get this straight-Amida Brimah was a 3 star recruit who was never built to be a physical beast of a center.
Despite having only played basketball for a handful of years (I believe?), being a mostly one-dimensional player, and us having a seemingly sub-par development system for big men at UConn, he was a great husky.

10, 20 years from now, when I think of Amida Brimah I will think of his basket against St. Joe's, alley-oops from Daniel Hamilton, the times when he blocks 2 or 3 shots in one possession, and running across the court holding the "UCONN" on his shirt after winning the national championship before falling over.
^Because that's all that really matters.
AR-141119955.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667
That's cute and all, but he still won't be remembered as a good basketball player.

Reaction Score
I've wondered for a while now about some of our players off season training program and dedication to really getting better. We hear very little about what they do and I can't fault someone for wanting to enjoy their summer vacations but was Amida working on post moves and other bb related skills 4-5 hours per day? I don't question his passion when he plays but I do wonder if he prepared himself to the best of his abilities during his 4 years here.

Reaction Score
His legacy is 2-fold:

1) he made the great Fros St Joe's play
2) made next to zero improvement in his next 3 years and still have a basketball IQ in negative #s

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brimah is a good role player whose deficiencies would've been better hidden on better UConn teams.

I think there were two main reasons he underachieved as a player:

1) He was never quite the talent people on here considered him to be. I remember people on here projecting that he'd leave after his junior year before he even had one dependable offensive move (a hook shot, a 15-foot jumper - anything).

2) He simply never developed up to his potential. Sometimes that happens with college kids, or even pros for that matter.

But he still made arguably the biggest play of the NCAA tourney en route to UConn winning its fourth national title. No, Brimah is not among the best centers in UConn history, but if you want to talk about his legacy, it starts there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Brimah is a good role player whose deficiencies would've been better hidden on better UConn teams.

I think there were two main reasons he underachieved as a player:

1) He was never quite the talent people on here considered him to be. I remember people on here projecting that he'd leave after his junior year before he even had one dependable offensive move (a hook shot, a 15-foot jumper - anything).

2) He simply never developed up to his potential. Sometimes that happens with college kids, or even pros for that matter.

But he still made arguably the biggest play of the NCAA tourney en route to UConn winning its fourth national title. No, Brimah is not among the best centers in UConn history, but if you want to talk about his legacy, it starts there.
Sometimes the legacy of a program is highly dependent on significant plays from players whose statistics are never going to stand out.

Souleymane Wane and Amidah Brimah for critical plays on the most important stage and Tyler Olander who gave us 2>1.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great defensive centers get rebounds, a lot of them.
He's actually improved year over year in rebounding.
YEAR MPG REB BLK
2013-14 16.2 3.0 2.3
2014-15 26.3 4.4 3.5
2015-16 21.0 4.6 2.7
2016-17 22.4 5.7 2.9

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
One of the most likeable Huskies ever. For that I'll miss the lunk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom