Alterique potentially coming back | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alterique potentially coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I still think part of his problem is that he and Vital don't trust the bigs to catch and make plays. I can see why. But aside from the one pass, which really hurt, he and Vital made many really good decisions most of the game. He just missed some shots.

He always misses some shots tho. He shoots 33% from the floor. Gotta be in the bottom 5% of all NCAA PGs with any kind of N

Reaction Score
We would be crazy not to want AG to come back. He may never bring the brilliance we anticipated, but he can handle the rock. With the addition of RJ Cole and the development of Brendan Adams and Gaffney, there won't be as much of a reliance on him...I think the combination of all of them, will give us a lot of versatility...and versatility is key in March

Reaction Score
He always misses some shots tho. He shoots 33% from the floor. Gotta be in the bottom 5% of all NCAA PGs with any kind of N
His shot had just not been there. He's been below average... I agree. I still think part of the problem is who he plays with.
I wasn't a big fan of Brimah when he was here because of his lack of development. That said, Brimah knew how to set a pick and roll to the rim with a purpose or know to just get out of the way sometimes.
I've seen it with Bouknight sometimes too. He drives and has an open lane but it's his own big dragging an opposing big into the space they are driving to.
I think basic spacing is a problem with this team's half court offense.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
His shot had just not been there. He's been below average... I agree. I still think part of the problem is who he plays with.
I wasn't a big fan of Brimah when he was here because of his lack of development. That said, Brimah knew how to set a pick and roll to the rim with a purpose or know to just get out of the way sometimes.
I've seen it with Bouknight sometimes too. He drives and has an open lane but it's his own big dragging an opposing big into the space they are driving to.
I think basic spacing is a problem with this team's half court offense.

I think it's his shoulder. Maybe not the same ROM or balance or what have you. Kid was a 50% 3pt shooter in high school iirc. I don't think he'll be a great shooter here on out.

Reaction Score
More depth at PG is never a bad thing, but Hurley would have to crack down on his low basketball IQ tendencies much more than he does now. And he would have the depth to do it.

Gilbert would have to deal with not being the go-to guy. I'd welcome him back in that scenario, scholarships permitting.
I thought you meant DH would have to crack down on his low basketball IQ tendencies...???

Reaction Score
I think it's his shoulder. Maybe not the same ROM or balance or what have you. Kid was a 50% 3pt shooter in high school iirc. I don't think he'll be a great shooter here on out.
Int Man....don't you think it was odd everyone had Gilbert bolting? It must have been wishful thinking for that crew. He should consider the GT route. Consider it and then make a decision on his return to UConn. If he returns great.

Reaction Score
Lol, we’d be lucky to have AG back next year. Newsflash, a guard from the worst conference in the country is not gonna turn us into a contender. And double LOL at those saying AG would be benched for Cole. Either they start together, or Cole is 6th man.
No way cole starts over AG next year. Either their both starting in backcourt or cole coming off bench.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score

How we feeling about this?

Where else would he go and why would he want to go? I don't see him leaving and getting a better opportunity elsewhere. When he plays smart and takes care of the basketball he is a solid player. In my opinion, his best opportunity is to stay right where he is and finish his collegiate career strong. Al's final chapter at the collegiate level, with all he's been through with injuries and making a comeback, should end at UConn.

C

Chief00

I would welcome him back. I never felt that we had enough ball handlers this year. Adding RJ Cole and retaining gilbert/gaffney will give us enough in my opinion.
I agree, good to have ball handlers. The issue is we need shooters and Bigs too.

C

Chief00

He’s got a skill - getting around his man & into the paint - that’s a superlative. I want him back. I want his shot better. I want him to be respectful of his ball security & passing with purpose.
His other talent is on the ball defense when he puts his mind to it. I think if Hurley used a Calhoun quick hook then re-insert for 2-3 games with AG his ball security would dramatically improve. He has a bad habit and you need real time in game learning to break it.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Hurley can coach him objectively. Coaches tend to not take away the keys from seniors and AG might only be worthy of a backup role. Then again he could be a better player, but he has to be played accordingly.

Reaction Score
Not a chance Cole doesn’t start.
Then I guess both are starting and bouk plays the 3. If AG plays the way he played today for 75% of the rest of year, there’s no way he doesn’t start

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Int Man....don't you think it was odd everyone had Gilbert bolting? It must have been wishful thinking for that crew. He should consider the GT route. Consider it and then make a decision on his return to UConn. If he returns great.

I didn't know either way. There were a few quotes that could have been read that way? I still don't know what he's gonna do!

I think though, if he stays in college, it's def at UConn.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Then I guess both are starting and bouk plays the 3. If AG plays the way he played today for 75% of the rest of year, there’s no way he doesn’t start
Have to believe Jackson is a day 1 starter at the 3. These are good problems to have.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Honest question, why wouldn’t we want him back?
I don’t think anyone in this thread has really said that. Just a healthy debate over what his role would be and other options for him.

Reaction Score
Do you think Sid’s recent emergence and AG possibly coming back might impact?
I have no clue about Sid or Whaley. I want Sid to stay, we haven't come close to seeing the best of him. Whaley is a really nice kid but there just won't be any minutes for him next season.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Do you even watch games or do you just here to bitch about what other people post?
I watched today's game and many others since 1962.

Some posters like to criticize the players harshly. You qualify sometimes.

I'm surprised by those who do so and object when thereafter their posts are criticized. It's as though they don't recognize that they've 'opened the door.' You might as well be tweeting, "So unfair." The old phrase, "dish it out but can't take it" applies. What's up with that?

My belief is that you can present yourself better. Nobody is playing defense, or pressuring you. That's what the players have to contend with.

You are likely among the many here who are older than their teens and young 20s, and have had many years to mature emotionally and improve tbeir skills in supporting the team they root for. You've written twice as many posts as I have, and it bothers you that you're catching some flak for punching down? You want a free ride to complain about and rag on the players, perhaps? What other friction-free expectations do you have?

Reaction Score
Do we have an open scholarship to offer to Cliff (or whomever) if AG stays?

After 4 mostly frustrating years, I think it’s better for everyone (AG included) if he goes the grad transfer route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom