Alterique Gilbert injures shoulder at JBC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert injures shoulder at JBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You know nothing.
Do you remember when Steve Pikiell played? He was a fantastic recruit and a good player but was constantly getting hurt. I hope it is not a chronic issue but shoulders can be problematic. We need this kid to be able to play especially with Hamilton leaving. I guess I do know something.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Do you remember when Steve Pikiell played? He was a fantastic recruit and a good player but was constantly getting hurt. I hope it is not a chronic issue but shoulders can be problematic. We need this kid to be able to play especially with Hamilton leaving. I guess I do know something.

That's a gigantic leap to be making, one injury on the same body part as a guy who played in the 1980s and all of a sudden his career path is stunted in the exact same way.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Not so sure. Once you have one you are prone to them. It looked like he just made a play on the ball and it popped out. Not a good sign, as it would seem to suggest he has some really loose ligaments. I defer to the board's medical brain trust for a more informed opinion.

Here's some info so that I don't have to write it all.

Chronic Shoulder Instability-OrthoInfo - AAOS

The bottom line is that at his age, having dislocated it once previously, it was virtually certain that it would come out again eventually. The decision will be surgery vs. give it a try of rest and a global strengthening program to see if it will be stable enough for basketball. The MRI will help with that decision, but it's not definitive.

Y'all are in the same boat as me, wanting whichever option is best for the player. Honestly, that decision is between the player, the doctor and the parents. The coaches will step aside and avoid influencing it either way if they're smart.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I played 2-1/2 years of HS ball with a chronic, recurrent subluxation of the right shoulder. The first couple times it came out, I was in a sling for a couple days and didn't play for a week or two. Once it "wore in", I could pop it in and out at will. It came out pretty much every time I reached above shoulder height, and it would lock out and hurt like hell if I didn't bring my arm back down in the right direction, but that was the only pain involved. I was a 4/5, and it took a lot of banging in awkward positions. I'm left handed, but became a right handed shot blocker, because I could reach 4 or 5 inches higher with that arm.

That was 50 something years ago. These days, I'm careful not to knock it out, because I have to use my other hand to push it back into position, and it hurts quite a bit if I don't do it just right. I keep telling myself I'm going to get a new shoulder, but never get around to it. My older brother got one and had an 8 month recovery before he could fish again. I ain't doin' that.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Hi everybody!
latest

Alterique just needs to rub some Robitussin on it and he'll be good to go in no time.

Reaction Score
As an FYI: There is a distinct difference between a dislocated shoulder and a separated shoulder.

Dislocation: Causes the top of your arm to pop out of the shoulder socket

Separation: Tears the ligaments that connects the collarbone to the shoulder blade

They are not interchangeable.

This post cannot be stressed enough. We have had conflicting reports on what exactly the injury was.

UConn Report, Oz from TOS, and Borges in his NH register article are all saying shoulder separation (though Borges in his tweet contradicts his article by calling it a dislocated shoulder). That is a AC joint injury, not a true shoulder dislocation.

Amore is saying shoulder dislocation and in his article actually describes a true dislocation and spontaneous relocation of his shoulder joint.
Jordan Brand Classic Offers Some UConn Previews; Alterique Gilbert Injures Shoulder

It would be nice to have definitive confirmation on what the injury was because it drastically changes the treatment options.

My pure speculation is that it was a true shoulder dislocation and, if this is his 2nd, needs a MRI to evaluate his labrum. I'm sure the team docs have one pending.

Doc hoops, where are you practicing?

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
From my experience, shoulders are rarely nothing. I'm hoping the something is minimal.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Here's some info so that I don't have to write it all.

Chronic Shoulder Instability-OrthoInfo - AAOS

The bottom line is that at his age, having dislocated it once previously, it was virtually certain that it would come out again eventually. The decision will be surgery vs. give it a try of rest and a global strengthening program to see if it will be stable enough for basketball. The MRI will help with that decision, but it's not definitive.

Y'all are in the same boat as me, wanting whichever option is best for the player. Honestly, that decision is between the player, the doctor and the parents. The coaches will step aside and avoid influencing it either way if they're smart.
If a surgery helps avoid the injury from reoccurring, what's the time involved before fully playing again?

Reaction Score
I guess this is where I need to weigh in. If it's a separated shoulder (an ac joint injury) that's the best case scenario. Since it was non-contact it would be grade 1, or at worst grade 2, and no surgery needed

Based on the video I think a deltoid strain is even more likely, and should also recover uneventfully.

A subluxation/instability episode of the shoulder is also possible, but with a non-contact injury it is possible that it's simply due to being stretchy, and might be treatable with just rehab. Unfortunately if there is a torn labrum virtually 100% of young athletes will have additional instability episodes without surgery.

Let's hope it's the deltoid or the ac joint.

And yes, as a matter of fact I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
What does surgery do? I mean prevent it from popping out, or something else. Is it a permanent/long-term fix or just something that reduces recurrence?

Just curious how does one keep that sucker in the socket for good or tighter?

I'm talking context of athlete not common man.

Reaction Score
If a surgery helps avoid the injury from reoccurring, what's the time involved before fully playing again?
Not sure if same condition at all, but Purvis had a recurring shoulder issue back in 2013 and got surgery to fix it. 4-5 month recovery.

Rodney Purvis, a redshirt freshman at UConn, is slated to undergo surgery on his left shoulder to repair a torn labrum on Tuesday morning at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.

Purvis, who transferred to UConn after playing his freshman season at N.C. State, will undergo a left shoulder arthroscopy to not only repair the torn labrum but also to tighten up muscles to stabilize a condition that has bothered him since high school. The surgery is expected to alleviate sporadic episodes of pain he has suffered throughout the past few years while playing basketball.

Purvis, a 6-foot-4 guard, is sitting out this season per NCAA transfer rules. He has been a valuable practice player this season for the Huskies.

According to UConn, an MRI done earlier this year revealed the condition and the decision was made to have surgery now. The recovery period is usually 4-5 months, which should allow him to have a full summer to get back in game shape for next season.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Not sure if same condition at all, but Purvis had a recurring shoulder issue back in 2013 and got surgery to fix it. 4-5 month recovery.

Rodney Purvis, a redshirt freshman at UConn, is slated to undergo surgery on his left shoulder to repair a torn labrum on Tuesday morning at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.

Purvis, who transferred to UConn after playing his freshman season at N.C. State, will undergo a left shoulder arthroscopy to not only repair the torn labrum but also to tighten up muscles to stabilize a condition that has bothered him since high school. The surgery is expected to alleviate sporadic episodes of pain he has suffered throughout the past few years while playing basketball.

Purvis, a 6-foot-4 guard, is sitting out this season per NCAA transfer rules. He has been a valuable practice player this season for the Huskies.

According to UConn, an MRI done earlier this year revealed the condition and the decision was made to have surgery now. The recovery period is usually 4-5 months, which should allow him to have a full summer to get back in game shape for next season.
Thanks Tcf. Hope he makes a good decision for himself. Timing & severity is a factor I'm sure.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
This post cannot be stressed enough. We have had conflicting reports on what exactly the injury was.

UConn Report, Oz from TOS, and Borges in his NH register article are all saying shoulder separation (though Borges in his tweet contradicts his article by calling it a dislocated shoulder). That is a AC joint injury, not a true shoulder dislocation.

Amore is saying shoulder dislocation and in his article actually describes a true dislocation and spontaneous relocation of his shoulder joint.
Jordan Brand Classic Offers Some UConn Previews; Alterique Gilbert Injures Shoulder

It would be nice to have definitive confirmation on what the injury was because it drastically changes the treatment options.

My pure speculation is that it was a true shoulder dislocation and, if this is his 2nd, needs a MRI to evaluate his labrum. I'm sure the team docs have one pending.

Doc hoops, where are you practicing?

North of Boston

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score

4-6 months most likely, depending on the type of surgery performed.

Reaction Score
next season is over

Dislocation is no simple injury. Every time the shoulder pops out it just gets easier for it to pop again. I dislocated my left shoulder 4 times between the initial incident early senior year of football to freshman year in college football. Back playing 4 weeks later with a brace to eliminate the ability to raise the arm above shoulder height. It would roll out of place in my sleep if I put my arms under the pillow. The trainers sent me to the ortho who operated on my shoulder, back (then they put metal staples in), rehab was long. Today, it's much easier arthoscopy sp and rehab much easier.

If he has dislocated it twice, the odds are quite good it will happen again. Pain is unbelievable.....

j/k

Reaction Score

I dislocated the same shoulder 4 times and subluxed twice, so I ended up having the surgery. I was cleared for contact after 4 months, but I wasn't truly 100% for about a year. I'd say I was 90% after 4 months, 95% after 8.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I haven't seen anything posted more recent on Gilbert but according to this it says out 1 month. Its not as bad as it initially looked, but just hope he can strengthen the shoulder and prevent it from re-injuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom