Alterique Gilbert injures shoulder at JBC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert injures shoulder at JBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many may have forgotten, but Ricky Moore and even Steve Pikel had the same problem and eventually both needed surgery to correct it. Since this has happened to him before, I wonder if it makes sense for him to get surgery sooner than later, especially since it's a non-contact injury that will happen when he just moved his arm in the wrong way. Although this isn't some sort of season ending type injury, it's something that could result in him missing a stretch of games if this occurs during the season if he doesn't take care of it.

Reaction Score
Don't need an MD to know, NOT GOOD.

That written, the most important thing is his health - take care of yourself, young man, and we'll keep your spot warm. Be well. God bless.

Reaction Score
148-128 wow, nice defense LOL..Vital and Thompson must have done some good things. Vital sounds to be very fond of Pitino I believe they can't let him get there or it's over. Thompson is intriguing, liked the interview posted above sounds like he has his head on straight despite not knowing much about UConn, which amazes me a bit. Interesting duo to watch the next week or so.

As fas as AG man that blows for him. My question is "it's happened before" how many times? I know Steve and Ricky were 2 guys wasn't there another? When it oops out there's no telling how long we lose him it would seem as DogMania mentioned surgery may be the way to go in order to strengthen the area but who knows. Chris Dunn too right? Anyway best of luck to him and his recovery.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Don't like the sound of this. Typical HS coach response. He's done it before. 4-6 weeks recovery. That is a season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sounds like this will be an on going problem. Don't like the sounds of that.
Like Steve Pikell. He never reached his full potential as a player because of his shoulder.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It pains me (seriously, no pun intended) me to post this...

NEXT!

Reaction Score
Sounds like the same thing that Purvis went through before he had his labrum surgery during his redshirt year, he said the shoulder kept popping in and out so he had the surgery to take care of it.
And Steve Pikiell.

Reaction Score
It pains me (seriously, no pun intended) me to post this...

NEXT!

Don't be silly. Would you have "nexted" Okafor knowing he'd have recurring back problems? Or AJ Price?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Could be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully, there are exercises that he can do prevent future injury. Better now than Jan. to work on this problem.
If he needs surgery, he can redshirt a year. One way or another we need to suit up for three years.

C

Chief00

This will be a great opportunity for Travis - building flexibility and gymnastic type strength for Gilbert. This is what he is good at. The fact that he has done it before and it's no big deal is actually a bad sign. It show an inherent weakness that needs to be addressed especially for a guy who can drive and take hard fouls.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Better this happens 7 months from the start of the season than in October/November. Those first few months are HUGE for getting acclimated to the college game, see Jalen.

Reaction Score
Here we go. Steve Pikiell all over again except he'll probably leave after 2 years because he needs to cash in before the NBA realizes he has shoulder issues.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Here we go. Steve Pikiell all over again except he'll probably leave after 2 years because he needs to cash in before the NBA realizes he has shoulder issues.

You know nothing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Looks like a dislocation, which really hurts but the recovery time shouldn't be too bad.

Hope he's ok
Not so sure. Once you have one you are prone to them. It looked like he just made a play on the ball and it popped out. Not a good sign, as it would seem to suggest he has some really loose ligaments. I defer to the board's medical brain trust for a more informed opinion.

Reaction Score
Could be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully, there are exercises that he can do prevent future injury. Better now than Jan. to work on this problem.
If he needs surgery, he can redshirt a year. One way or another we need to suit up for three years.
You are consistently so doom and gloom, yet are optimistic about our star recruit dislocating his shoulder. In fact, you go past optimism and call it a potential blessing.

Jesus

Reaction Score

This makes my brain hurt :confused:

You have to be joking, right?

EDIT: @Rocktheworld, hadn't seen your post yet because my eye sight is clearly horrible. Let's hope it's a blessing in disguise.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Rocktheworld, post: 1668158, member: 5037"]You are consistently so doom and gloom, yet are optimistic about our star recruit dislocating his shoulder. In fact, you go past optimism and call it a potential blessing.

Jesus[/QUOTE]

Since this is the 2nd injury of this nature to Gilbert and this one was caused by virtually no contact whatsoever, it most likely means he has a
weakened condition in his shoulder that needs to be addressed and that this injury most likely would have occurred during the season.
It is a blessing that this condition was revealed during the off season when steps can be taken to either repair the injury or start a regiment of exercises to prevent another injury when this one had healed. I am sorry that this logic eludes some posters.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I guess this is where I need to weigh in. If it's a separated shoulder (an ac joint injury) that's the best case scenario. Since it was non-contact it would be grade 1, or at worst grade 2, and no surgery needed

Based on the video I think a deltoid strain is even more likely, and should also recover uneventfully.

A subluxation/instability episode of the shoulder is also possible, but with a non-contact injury it is possible that it's simply due to being stretchy, and might be treatable with just rehab. Unfortunately if there is a torn labrum virtually 100% of young athletes will have additional instability episodes without surgery.

Let's hope it's the deltoid or the ac joint.

And yes, as a matter of fact I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I like having a qualified sports medicine guy on the board.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't be silly. Would you have "nexted" Okafor knowing he'd have recurring back problems? Or AJ Price?

It's Dove man. No chance that wasn't a joke. Even worked in a pun that might have thrown you off.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I would have but...

...AJ took my laptop.

:cool:

Reaction Score
Since this is the 2nd injury of this nature to Gilbert and this one was caused by virtually no contact whatsoever, it most likely means he has a
weakened condition in his shoulder that needs to be addressed and that this injury most likely would have occurred during the season.
It is a blessing that this condition was revealed during the off season when steps can be taken to either repair the injury or start a regiment of exercises to prevent another injury when this one had healed. I am sorry that this logic eludes some posters.
The point

Your head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member