All Players Attending Hurley Presser | Page 9 | The Boneyard

All Players Attending Hurley Presser

Reaction Score
We figure this means he’s coming back, right? We were all pretty confident but sounds like he hadn’t fully made up his mind until he remembered he scored 30 that one time.

Attachments

• 33BE5399-2DD6-48A3-8E56-76ECE9BC9107.png
    33BE5399-2DD6-48A3-8E56-76ECE9BC9107.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 171
C

Chief00

Jalen just wants to see if Coach Hurley is going to give him the red or blue scooter for his Senior Year.

You know maybe that’s why we are such a poorly conditioned team the last few years - taking scooters rather than walking around campus doesn’t establish a decent level conditioning floor. That probably removes 10 Miles a week of low intensity cardio.

Reaction Score
well he's not wrong lol I have no idea what we were trying to do with workouts. Seems like it didn't matter who the S&C coach was, no one really got bigger.
This is stupid, the "team" he was looking at was a bunch of scrawny freshmen for the most part. Vital is a solid dude, jalen is close to where he needs to be, Cobb is a bit too solid. Don't blame scrawny freshmen on a strength and conditioning coach. The guys need to be getting bigger but saying they need to hit the weights to me is more a statement of our personnel at current date than a criticism of coaching

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This is stupid, the "team" he was looking at was a bunch of scrawny freshmen for the most part. Vital is a solid dude, jalen is close to where he needs to be, Cobb is a bit too solid. Don't blame scrawny freshmen on a strength and conditioning coach. The guys need to be getting bigger but saying they need to hit the weights to me is more a statement of our personnel at current date than a criticism of coaching
every team we've matched up against for the past couple years we look like a JV team compared to them. We didn't have height or mass

Reaction Score
I’m hoping it means he’ll be dunking a lot more
Jalen is my favorite player on the team. I wonder if he had to conserve energy so much since KO told him he would never be coming out. It would be good to see his minutes down and some highlight dunks from him like in this video. I know seeing some of those highlight reel dunks in college got me excited about his athletic ability. I think if Jalen comes back DH is going to get the best out of him for shooting and dunking the ball while lowering the minutes.

Reaction Score
every team we've matched up against for the past couple years we look like a JV team compared to them. We didn't have height or mass
Fully agree, but I don't think saying the current squad needs to hit the gym is a bold statement. Polley/Whaley/Carlton are all freshmen and all look like juniors... in high school

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Don't blame the players for being hesitant. It must be a huge upheaval for them. The guy who recruited them to UConn was fired unceremoniously. You read in the media about how you aren't developed enough, or talented enough, etc. A new guy comes in and everyone's excited but you don't know this dude and he didn't recruit you.

And these kids are like 18-22? I can't blame 'em for feeling a little out of sorts. I hope they stay, but it's not hard to have some empathy for them.

Thought these quotes were noteworthy:
Dan H. "The Huskies will be “the hardest working, hardest playing” team, Hurley said. “That’s the kind of culture I establish when I take over a program.”

Dan's Dad "“I looked today, they’re not as physically strong,” Bob Hurley Sr. said. “I thought I would see some bigger, kids a little bit thicker. The Rhode Island kids, an older team, they looked very strong, they had worked very hard on the conditioning and training.”

I am sure our AD got this point when they considered a Uconn coach. Those quotes had an almost musical quality to my ears.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hurley Sr is on target. I am tired of excuses or Travis’s New Age theories. Get back to the old fashion gym.

Those New Age theories really killed us this past season, especially among the freshmen.

Reaction Score
His high schoolers were more developed.

Reaction Score
this is a bad take. it has been an issue for years now.

Reaction Score
I get all the modern strength methods, but there is just no substitute for toting iron. The weights should be the foundation and everything else around them versus having weights be a secondary part of the program. It’s so easy to add muscle at that age, if it’s not happening then they aren’t spending enough time with the weights.

Perhaps they’ve been on the iron hard, but I doubt it.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I mean, there's enough evidence (Kemba, for instance), that you can teach a kid to shoot. But it takes time and a lot of reps in the gym.

I seem to remember a game this year where there was talk that JA, CV and AA had spent extra time in the gym one night until 11 pm. It was made to sound like a revelatory experience. When I heard it I was like, really, that's a big deal? Since when?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If you told me Durham would be here next year, I'd take it. I think people will be surprised at what he can do.

I said t before and I’ll say it again. Durham is the worst what if guy.

Cause what he does next year isn’t what he could’ve provided this year. Who knows if this year off didn’t do his health a whole heap of good.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember a game this year where there was talk that JA, CV and AA had spent extra time in the gym one night until 11 pm. It was made to sound like a revelatory experience. When I heard it I was like, really, that's a big deal? Since when?
I have a feeling these players will find out what real work is soon.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I mean, there's enough evidence (Kemba, for instance), that you can teach a kid to shoot. But it takes time and a lot of reps in the gym.
I always used to believe that (you either can or can't shoot) until I read more than one pro scout or coach say it was the other way around. It really surprised me. They said shooting was the easiest thing to teach (mechanics) and repetition. But there is a mental/confidence/belief aspect to it that is basic and essential. Mechanics, GOOD repetitions, mental approach. I watch CV take free throws and I see why he is shooting around 85%. He is focused and then goes through muscle memory. He reminds me of Ray Allen mental approach. Play hard but stay calm. Simple but not easy. Self mastery. Body/Mind connection.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom