All Players Attending Hurley Presser | Page 8 | The Boneyard

All Players Attending Hurley Presser

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
well he's not wrong lol I have no idea what we were trying to do with workouts. Seems like it didn't matter who the S&C coach was, no one really got bigger.
Seeing that picture of Jalen back in the gym yesterday the first thing I thought of was he should be lifting. Is it true that KO won the Husky Run last fall?

Reaction Score
He sold a system to kids, and then felt obligated to roll with it when they couldn't run it, it seems.

The concept is pretty deadly, in theory. It's nearly impossible to run in the NBA. Really only the Warriors can run it. Which means it's completely impossible to teach to college kids who are 18-19, especially when half the team are transfers.

You need multiple people who can dribble and make decisions. This team had one guy who could do both, and we played like we had 4-5. Hence the record.

It's unbelievable how tone-deaf of a move it was, for a guy who lasted a dozen years in the NBA. It's even more amazing that he barely adjusted it in six years as a coach.

It's funny, I've seen some posters describe our offense as "an offense from the NBA of the 1990s" but that's not it at all. KO's goal was to emulate the modern NBA but we so greatly lacked the skill to pull it off that we couldn't even get into what we wanted to execute most of the time. Instead of trying something else, more structured or otherwise, we kept beating our heads against the wall all the way to the worst offensive season in program history.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This quote from Hurley Sr really stood out to me :

“I looked today, they’re not as physically strong,” Bob Hurley Sr. said. “I thought I would see some bigger, kids a little bit thicker. The Rhode Island kids, an older team, they looked very strong, they had worked very hard on the conditioning and training.”
UConn Men Will Have To Train Hard To Please Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
It's unbelievable how tone-deaf of a move it was, for a guy who lasted a dozen years in the NBA. It's even more amazing that he barely adjusted it in six years as a coach.

It's funny, I've seen some posters describe our offense as "an offense from the NBA of the 1990s" but that's not it at all. KO's goal was to emulate the modern NBA but we so greatly lacked the skill to pull it off that we couldn't even get into what we wanted to execute most of the time. Instead of trying something else, more structured or otherwise, we kept beating our heads against the wall all the way to the worst offensive season in program history.
Guards with a high screen surrounded by shooters is essentially an NBA offense. We saw it--a little--in 2014, but we kept the offense going at a snail's pace.

Even this year we tried to do that some, but there was little off-ball movement, and when you can't shoot defenders can cheat off their guys with impunity and clog the lane.

Reaction Score
Guards with a high screen surrounded by shooters is essentially an NBA offense. We saw it--a little--in 2014, but we kept the offense going at a snail's pace.

Even this year we tried to do that some, but there was little off-ball movement, and when you can't shoot defenders can cheat off their guys with impunity and clog the lane.

That's what really got my blood boiling during games. Most NBA teams run some kind of weakside action on a high ball screen, we rarely did. Agreed on the shooting issue, you can't run that offense against vs a clogged paint/sagging defense not to mention a shorter 3PT line and be efficient. Bazz's absurd range also helped it in 2014.

From what I've watched of Hurley's offense, it's also a ton of PnR but does feature weakside stuff consistently. Might be an ugly first season if we're still a terrible shooting team.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more. If Adams could shoot consistently from the outside he would be one of the best guards in the country. Why he doesn't shoot 500 shots a day is beyond me. It has driven me crazy for the past 3 years with him. Last year he seemed to be making some progress, but then this year he went back to his freshman year.

He could be shooting 500 a day, we dont know. At all.

And 500 shots a day at this level isn't enough. Try 500 MAKES a day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Part of me thinks he thought he could fill the roster with athletic looking guys and "just" teach them to shoot. It's the only explanation.
Can't be. Ollie was one of the worst shooters in UConn history. Then again, those who can't do, teach.

Reaction Score
That's what really got my blood boiling during games. Most NBA teams run some kind of weakside action on a high ball screen, we rarely did. Agreed on the shooting issue, you can't run that offense against vs a clogged paint/sagging defense not to mention a shorter 3PT line and be efficient. Bazz's absurd range also helped it in 2014.

From what I've watched of Hurley's offense, it's also a ton of PnR but does feature weakside stuff consistently. Might be an ugly first season if we're still a terrible shooting team.
Even without great shooters PnR will be just fine if you have other stuff going on.

If they're not throwing up prayers at the end of the shot clock I expect CV and Adams to shoot better. If Sid, Gilbert, or Matthews can shoot at all, it will just change the whole dynamics.

Also, if your half court offense isn't generating a lot of points, you have to try to get out on the break. We really didn't.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not to mention there are a bagillion bigs in the NBA who never took a three before they turned pro and are now snipers.

Michael Redd
Antwan Jamison
Kawhi Leonard

were awful shooters before they made the NBA.

Hope we can speed up the timeline on a few of our guys.

Reaction Score
With a down year in the AAC and our guys so far committed to staying with the program we are in a good spot.

-Memphis, Houston, WSU, Tulsa and UCF are rebuilding
-Cinci will be pretty good but losing a couple key players (Washington & Clark)

Reaction Score
This board loves to over rate Adams. There are some things he does well and there are many he doesn't. Would love to see what Hurley can do with him next year. I may be wrong, but in three years he has never impressed me. And I am homer.

If Adams played 3 years under Calhoun, I’m thinking conservatively he goes top 20 in the NBA draft. He’s not the shooter Gordon was, nor as explosive as Kemba, but hes got better size than both of those guys and, aside from passing, he has an excellent mix of offensive skill. I also think he’s got a higher ceiling than AJ Price.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We may look back and say it was worth hiring Ollie because he got us through the banned year, won us a natty, and ultimately led us to bringing in D Hurley.

Edit: I’m already there

+1

Given how the Ollie years ended, it's so natural to downplay his contribution. But damn man, keeping the guys who stuck around. Keeping heads high during that banned year. And most importantly, winning #4. A lot to be said for that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
well he's not wrong lol I have no idea what we were trying to do with workouts. Seems like it didn't matter who the S&C coach was, no one really got bigger.

The one S&C guy with gravitas left after a few months. Yeah, he got a better gig, but that alone tells you something.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He could be shooting 500 a day, we dont know. At all.

And 500 shots a day at this level isn't enough. Try 500 MAKES a day.

Also matters the type of shots you're taking. If you are just sitting their with a rack, hoisting them up, then you're letting yourself down. Dribble and pop. Quick release. Run to the open spot, receive the pass and put it up. Different ranges, etc.

Reaction Score
+1

Given how the Ollie years ended, it's so natural to downplay his contribution. But damn man, keeping the guys who stuck around. Keeping heads high during that banned year. And most importantly, winning #4. A lot to be said for that.
Yeah. The way this ended will never not be sad. I had to happen, but you just wish it could have worked out.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If Adams played 3 years under Calhoun, I’m thinking conservatively he goes top 20 in the NBA draft. He’s not the shooter Gordon was, nor as explosive as Kemba, but hes got better size than both of those guys and, aside from passing, he has an excellent mix of offensive skill. I also think he’s got a higher ceiling than AJ Price.

A post multiple injury AJ Price perhaps, but pre injury AJP was gonna be a top 3 guard in UCONN history.

Reaction Score
A post multiple injury AJ Price perhaps, but pre injury AJP was gonna be a top 3 guard in UCONN history.

We got to see what that kid could potentially be for about a month, than the ACL happened.

He’s still the closest Uconn men’s player I’ve ever seen to my ideal point guard. And would rank damn high on the “smartest player to play here” list.

And he’s my favorite player of all time.

But Adams is just pure talent. I think he has the highest ceiling of any guard we’ve had. It’s a shame he’s playing in this Uconn era. Hopefully next year is different for him.

Reaction Score
I truly believe that we now have a coach who knows how to evaluate talent and figure out how best to use it. He’s going to add to the roster but he will try to get the most out of this roster. His father’s observation about us looking like string beans is something we on the Yard have been screaming about.....for years. We look weaker than almost every team we have played. Don’t know what kind of strength program we’ve had but it was a failure. I don’t expect a huge success next year but for the first time in a while I have lost the tension that has built up over our team. Big relief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom