Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Exactly. This is what seems odd to me. Not like a trainer is free. Unless an agent fronts the money to recoup it from Akok’s future contracts.

That is what happens, if he hires one.

Reaction Score
My gut is now telling me he’s training with someone for the next few months and if he doesn’t get drafted in spring, ends up enrolling at UConn. Really no reason for him to play prep school ball n go to class if he already has a dimploma and top level college offers and only cares about turning heads at the draft combine in a few months time

Reaction Score
I in no way mean this in a derogatory manner towards anyone, but it’s amazing how close to the vest Akok is keeping all his moves.

With all the people here who have connections either to the UConn staff or PSA staff, I feel like this move just came out of nowhere.

I wonder how much Hurley and the staff are aware of this situation.

He’s 19.

Ready, Fire, Aim.

We’ve all been there.

Reaction Score
Given the change where undrafted players can now return to school, I'm curious how that would affect Akok. Wonder if there's a scenario where he "commits" to a school and then enters the draft to see if he gets picked

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
So do we start going all in on Mitchell or the Coulibaly kid?

Reaction Score
Given the change where undrafted players can now return to school, I'm curious how that would affect Akok. Wonder if there's a scenario where he "commits" to a school and then enters the draft to see if he gets picked

Isn’t lecque doing something like this?

Reaction Score
Isn’t lecque doing something like this?
Yeah he's considering entering the draft as well, and is likely in a similar situation where he won't go round 1. I'm honestly not sure if the same rule would apply and allow these kids to go to college if they went undrafted, but from what I've read it sounds like it could.

Reaction Score
Yeah he's considering entering the draft as well, and is likely in a similar situation where he won't go round 1. I'm honestly not sure if the same rule would apply and allow these kids to go to college if they went undrafted, but from what I've read it sounds like it could.
In order to be able to return, undrafted guys need to have been invited to the NBA Combine. Last year, of all the undrafted guys, only seven guys would have been eligible to return based on that rule:

Trevon Duval (Duke)
Jaylen Barford (Arkansas)
Malik Newman (Kansas)
Brandon McCoy (UNLV)
Allonzo Trier (Arizona)
Billy Preston (Kansas)
Brian Bowen (South Carolina)

Don't think Akok would come close to a combine invite if those are the 7 guys who got one and didn't get drafted.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
In order to be able to return, undrafted guys need to have been invited to the NBA Combine. Last year, of all the undrafted guys, only seven guys would have been eligible to return based on that rule:

Trevon Duval (Duke)
Malik Newman (Kansas)
Brandon McCoy (UNLV)
Allonzo Trier (Arizona)
Billy Preston (Kansas)

Don't think Akok would come close to a combine invite if those are the 7 guys who got one and didn't get drafted.
Im not completely sure Akok is even on the NBA radar. Remember Akok was ranked outside of the top 70 in his class until one game late in the third live period when he hit a bunch of 3s in front of Slater(? I could be wrong, it was a big name 247 scout) who shot him up the rankings and made him a 5 star the next day. Very raw player. Too raw to even properly grade imo. Right now I’m wondering if he’s going overseas to play......

Reaction Score

Trevon Duval (Duke)
Malik Newman (Kansas)
Brandon McCoy (UNLV)
Allonzo Trier (Arizona)
Billy Preston (Kansas)

Duval has a bizarre trajectory. Top 5 recruit struggles in college, still tries to go 1 and done and goes undrafted into the G League. I can't remember anything similar that resembled this immediate stud to bust situation.

Reaction Score
The reason this is especially strange is because Akok seems like a very humble kid. His coach said he barely even talks. Not exactly of the prototype of a kid whose ego vastly outweighs his skills. Gotta think there is more to the story.

C

Chief00

I in no way mean this in a derogatory manner towards anyone, but it’s amazing how close to the vest Akok is keeping all his moves.
With all the people here who have connections either to the UConn staff or PSA staff, I feel like this move just came out of nowhere.
I wonder how much Hurley and the staff are aware of this situation.

Hurley and his staff know all the details and this is what Chief posted Thursday.
9354C2CF-6390-4FB2-8BE2-5525D4724D25.jpeg

Reaction Score
What I don’t get is that if he actually plans to spend 7mos preparing for the draft—who pays for that? Presumably he was attending PSA for free. Now he needs a place to live, $$ to train, etc.
If he's made up his mind that he's going pro an agent will take a flyer and float him some cash. Hope Uconn stays clear of him now, sorry Akok there is no dorm room for you at UConn until the summer.

It's one thing to be unhappy likes his PSA coach said he was but not much class just walking away with no contact at all.....wouldn't trust his commitment written or otherwise....wish him the best though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Over a week ago, he mentioned he might skip college and go straight to the draft...

Link

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So did he declare for the nba or commit with another school? If no then everyone should calm down. If he did choose the nba then good luck to him

Reaction Score
Agreed. You never know a families circumstances.
True, but is his family destitute? Somebody must know. Wharton husky makes a good point. Now he has to live somewhere, train, eat etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom