Akok Akok vs UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok vs UConn

Reaction Score
He nearly ripped Hawkins's shoulder out of the socket on that block. We don't have that kind of dynamic shot blocking this year (hopefully Johnson will bring it back). I'm glad he's somewhere getting a great education and where he can thrive as a player.
Clingan and Akok are tied for 3rd in BE in BPG w/ 2.0 BPG.

The difference?
Akok 34 MPG
Clingan 14 MPG

:cool:
Johnson is a shot blocker as well that can join the block party.

Reaction Score
For anyone who was at the game, what kind of crowd reaction was there during Akok's intro?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Might've hurt his feelings, but any foul would've been ticky tack imo. These are Big East refs. From what I saw on the replay, it looks like mostly or all ball, and Akok was just stronger when Jordan tried to force it up.

Could be wrong though. I haven't checked a replay. Might've got him on the body?

Ticky tack?

He went into the right side of Jordan’s shoulder and nearly killed him.

Folks who think Akok somehow made Jordan fall onto his back from six feet up by putting his hand on a basketball….need to watch closer.

Reaction Score
Ticky tack?

He went into the right side of Jordan’s shoulder and nearly killed him.

Folks who think Akok somehow made Jordan fall onto his back from six feet up by putting his hand on a basketball….need to watch closer.

Eh I'm going to disagree on this one. I watched the play a few times. Just looks like tough Big East basketball to me. Jordan got blocked and bumped in the air a little bit. All part of the game. I call it incidental contact.

Reaction Score
For anyone who was at the game, what kind of crowd reaction was there during Akok's intro?
There was some clapping around the arena but the student section at the Georgetown end booed loudly and drowned out the positive cheers. I was surprised actually. Once the game started all boos like for his free throws. Akok did help Hawk up after he hit he deck. The other 8 players were already down the other end. Nice to see. Still a good guy.

Reaction Score
Akok had a great game, but like most of the Georgetown team just didn’t have enough gas to make it the full 40 minutes to pull out a win

A foul could have been called on the Hawkins block for getting him on the arm (50/50 call), but definitely an honest play going for the ball. He’s a rim protector, he’s not going to let a guard get a free dunk. The landing made it look worse than it was, but notice Akok didn’t even go play offense because he was making sure Hawkins was okay. Akok is a great guy and a class act, always has been

Jackson got Akok on a poster and was chirping. Akok got Jackson on an alley oop poster later and was chirping back. Don’t think there’s much more happening than that, aside from the off-season Instagram videos

It’s impossible to not root for Akok, hope he has a great year

Reaction Score
I was trying to see if they all dapped up / caught up after the game but FS1 switched to the next game. Anyone see anything after game in person?

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I love that Hawkins has this mentality to put people on posters. I wish Andre would channel that same type of energy at the hoop because I think we can all agree, he is even better equipped to finish the deed. When Andre dunked on Akok, he still contorted himself to avoid contact. It was remarkable no doubt, but I look forward to the day that he finishes through contact and gets the and 1.

Also, Andre missed one alley oop because he tried to gently place it in the hoop without touching the rim. Goes back to my question from last game... I wonder if he tries to avoid making contact with the rim on dunks sometimes because of that wrist injury from earlier in his career.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I love that Hawkins has this mentality to put people on posters. I wish Andre would channel that same type of energy at the hoop because I think we can all agree, he is even better equipped to finish the deed. When Andre dunked on Akok, he still contorted himself to avoid contact. It was remarkable no doubt, but I look forward to the day that he finishes through contact and gets the and 1.

Also, Andre missed one alley oop because he tried to gently place it in the hoop without touching the rim. Goes back to my question from last game... I wonder if he tries to avoid making contact with the rim on dunks sometimes because of that wrist injury from earlier in his career.
I remember you posted this in another thread and it's a legitimate question. In fact when that play happened I immediately thought of your prior post with that question. Unless one of the BY posters has a direct line to the AJax and the staff I don't think we will get an answer, but I would love to know the answer myself.

Reaction Score
There was some clapping around the arena but the student section at the Georgetown end booed loudly and drowned out the positive cheers. I was surprised actually. Once the game started all boos like for his free throws. Akok did help Hawk up after he hit he deck. The other 8 players were already down the other end. Nice to see. Still a good guy.
I do wish Akok the best. Seems like a great guy. That being said, he did go to one of our biggest historic rivals. They suck now, so it's not as big of a deal, but I'm not sure students see those nuances. Cory Floyd seemed to have left under different circumstances and was never really a UConn player. But he also went to a rival (all Big East teams are rivals at some level) that is still successful. I don't wish anything bad on Corey, but I'm fine seeing that he's bringing nothing to Providence this year. If he went to a non-Big East team, it might be different.

Reaction Score
Jackson got Akok on a poster and was chirping. Akok got Jackson on an alley oop poster later and was chirping back. Don’t think there’s much more happening than that, aside from the off-season Instagram videos

People are acting like that chirping is a sign of bad blood. Anyone who has played competitive basketball knows when your boys are on the other team, you talk more trash than ever. These are competitive young men--it's part of the game.

In high school, when I was playing guys that were on my AAU team from other towns, I'd talk more than any 5'10 white boy who can't pass or jump deserves to talk.

I only ever got my ass kicked in college, so we'll ignore that part. Lol.

Reaction Score
These were two different situations. AJ didn't get T'd up after the Akok block.
It was 3 minutes or so apart but this is what started it. I don't know who was talking to him from the bench - they were trying to mirror Ezewiro with Sanogo and they might have taken him out quickly when Donavan got in there for a minute. God knows it wasn't Ewing jarring and Andre... I've never seen a less active coach in my life.

Reaction Score
Akok had 10 points and 5 rebounds and was 1/2 in free throws. Nice to see you again Akok and good luck at Georgetown. Good luck with your future Akok
he was running like he did as a freshman. Beat us down the court at least once.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
People are acting like that chirping is a sign of bad blood. Anyone who has played competitive basketball knows when your boys are on the other team, you talk more trash than ever. These are competitive young men--it's part of the game.

In high school, when I was playing guys that were on my AAU team from other towns, I'd talk more than any 5'10 white boy who can't pass or jump deserves to talk.

I only ever got my ass kicked in college, so we'll ignore that part. Lol.

Andre will chirp at his mother if her sneakers are on hardwood.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I'm happy to see he's apparently back to full mobility, too bad he's not somewhere else because GT is a dumpster fire regardless of how hard they fought last night.

That block was brutal so I was glad to see Akok help Hawkins up, I definitely had a moment of "oh no did he hit head again?!".

Reaction Score
Not up high it wasnt. Maybe a little body below, but he had his whole palm over the ball. It was impressive and brutal. Glad Hawkins is OK and it says something about Akok that he stayed to help Jordan instead of running on break as he should've done.

View attachment 82202
He got all of Hawkins’ elbow before he made contact with the ball.

It was an impressive play and I can easily see how the ref missed it in real time. But it was a foul.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He got all of Hawkins’ elbow before he made contact with the ball.

It was an impressive play and I can easily see how the ref missed it in real time. But it was a foul.
Which elbow? The elbow that is fully extended straight out holding the ball that's getting stuffed? How is that possible ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom