Akok Akok vs UConn | The Boneyard

Akok Akok vs UConn

Reaction Score
He nearly ripped Hawkins's shoulder out of the socket on that block. We don't have that kind of dynamic shot blocking this year (hopefully Johnson will bring it back). I'm glad he's somewhere getting a great education and where he can thrive as a player.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He almost gave Jordan Hawkins his next concussion. I was sweating when I saw him go down.

We all were watching that carefully. Looked like Hawkins took it on the hip. Gtown was very aggressive going after Hawkins in the second half and their guards consistently scored on him. Hawkins has been much better this year on D, especially moving his feet and staying squared up in front of his man. Last night, I think that landing after the block affected him in the second half.

Reaction Score
He nearly ripped Hawkins's shoulder out of the socket on that block. We don't have that kind of dynamic shot blocking this year (hopefully Johnson will bring it back). I'm glad he's somewhere getting a great education and where he can thrive as a player.
If he had to make the play he made, it was nice seeing him stop to help Hawkins up when he otherwise could have sprinted back to make it a 5 v 3 on the other end. Gave up a potential basket. Happened pretty early in the game and maybe he was afraid he was going to get booed a lot lol

Reaction Score
Happened pretty early in the game and maybe he was afraid he was going to get booed a lot lol

Nah, he's just a genuinely good dude and wanted to make sure his friend was okay. I saw him in his private workouts before he got on campus January 2019 or whatever it was. He's super competitive on the court, but all smiles and kindness off.

Reaction Score
We have it out of Clingan, but definitely miss it when he's not on the court.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I liked Akok when he was here and wish him well at Georgetown. Seems like he has a nice role carved out for him there.

Definitely one of the worst losses to injury in recent memory when he tore his Achilles.

Reaction Score
Some posters seem to be implying that there is bad blood between Akok and the current UConn roster. To anyone (@BFieldHusky and others) with knowledge of it: Did this predate the transfer, or was it a result of the transfer?

Reaction Score
Some posters seem to be implying that there is bad blood between Akok and the current UConn roster. To anyone (@BFieldHusky and others) with knowledge of it: Did this predate the transfer, or was it a result of the transfer?
I think it's just referring to some of the comments/posts that he and Jackson made directly after Akok's transfer. I don't think there is any real ill will.

Reaction Score
He almost gave Jordan Hawkins his next concussion. I was sweating when I saw him go down.
yeah, I didn't care about the block in the moment. During that moment my heart sank into my stomach when I saw Jordan hit the floor and I yelled "oh no!". I am having some certain degree of this reaction anytime Hawkins falls to the floor. Another poster asked this question and it's a legitimate one: During practices I have seen players wear soft helmets. I wonder if that will make it's way into a game in the near future?

Reaction Score
Nah, he's just a genuinely good dude and wanted to make sure his friend was okay. I saw him in his private workouts before he got on campus January 2019 or whatever it was. He's super competitive on the court, but all smiles and kindness off.
yeah I wish nothing but the best for Akok as well except during UConn games. According to a few Georgetown games I have watched this year, including last night's game, it seems like he has gotten his mobility back from the achilles tear. That's just purely anecdotal and not based on any data.

Like you stated in an earlier post on this thread, here is hoping he found a place where he can get a great education and get significant playing time to perform well.

Reaction Score
I liked Akok when he was here and wish him well at Georgetown. Seems like he has a nice role carved out for him there.

Definitely one of the worst losses to injury in recent memory when he tore his Achilles.
It sure is. He was never the same after that, well, at least here at UConn. Without that injury I think he still would've been at UConn

Reaction Score

There is exactly 0 bad blood. Anyone implying that is just making things up.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that was a foul.

Might've hurt his feelings, but any foul would've been ticky tack imo. These are Big East refs. From what I saw on the replay, it looks like mostly or all ball, and Akok was just stronger when Jordan tried to force it up.

Could be wrong though. I haven't checked a replay. Might've got him on the body?

Reaction Score
I don't know what they showed on TV because I was at the game, sitting 3 rows behind the Georgetown bench but after the Akok block on Hawkins, Akok stayed with him and tried to get him up, pulling on his arm and I think that's what set off Andre (again, this could have all been on TV broadcast... ) I don't think Akok meant to hurt Hawkins on the block or trying to help him up and pull on his arm but Andre is full of spunk and got right over there and said something. Georgetown bench barely reacted but the T was called.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah, that was a foul.

Not up high it wasnt. Maybe a little body below, but he had his whole palm over the ball. It was impressive and brutal. Glad Hawkins is OK and it says something about Akok that he stayed to help Jordan instead of running on break as he should've done.

ak.JPG

Reaction Score
I don't know what they showed on TV because I was at the game, sitting 3 rows behind the Georgetown bench but after the Akok block on Hawkins, Akok stayed with him and tried to get him up, pulling on his arm and I think that's what set off Andre (again, this could have all been on TV broadcast... ) I don't think Akok meant to hurt Hawkins on the block or trying to help him up and pull on his arm but Andre is full of spunk and got right over there and said something. Georgetown bench barely reacted but the T was called.
These were two different situations. AJ didn't get T'd up after the Akok block.

Reaction Score
Not up high it wasnt. Maybe a little body below, but he had his whole palm over the ball. It was impressive and brutal. Glad Hawkins is OK and it says something about Akok that he stayed to help Jordan instead of running on break as he should've done.

View attachment 82202
Exactly. The sportsmanship Akok showed after the play was unique to an in-game situation as Akok stopped playing and attended to Hawkins. It was exactly like this happened at a UConn practice and Akok was simply caring about his former teammate.

At same time I don't blame Andre for trying to spin it into an edge, that's what he does. In fact maybe the contrast between Akok and 'Dre who is ALWAYS at "11" out there looking to get his opponent any way possible from tip to buzzer.

Reaction Score

View attachment 82202

That's a block that comes from having played Hawkins 1000s of possessions in practice. Akok knew exactly what he was going to do the second he went up with the ball. Great block. Hawkins was fine. Nothing to see here.

Reaction Score

Andre didn't get called for a T here--it was after his made 3. I don't know where this "Andre has beef with Akok" thing is coming from. All I saw was a bunch of competitive kids trying to win a basketball game. Even on the techs, the only mean spirited folks on the court were Georgetown's coaching staff for jawing at Andre.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom