Akok Akok is special | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok is special

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
My concern, voiced in other threads, is this; He seems to start every game dominating both ends. But after 6 or 7 minutes of incredible play, he fades into the flow. He'll have a few (2 or 3) more highlight moments but is not consistently dominant. He still runs hard and blocks shots but doesn't dominate like at the beginning of a game. I have thoughts as to why this is, but will not digress at this point.
I noticed this in the game before last and it looked to me like he was winded and profusely sweating after 6 mins of all out play at both ends. Not unlike Brimah only Akok knows exactly what he is doing. Does not appear to have the stamina of someone like say Brimah. I do think Brimah was a freak athlete. Brimah ( a seven footer) winning the annual preseason race every year (I think) for example. Not sure about this but he has been on campus a long time as far as conditioning.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sheffer?
That's the correct question.
We'll see if it turns out to be the correct answer.

Above, someone speculated that Akok might be remembered as the program changer. Here, as well, more of a good question than answer. What he brings to mind is how winning the recruiting battle over Syracuse for Donyell always felt like a major shifting moment in the program a quarter century ago.

A year ago, Akok visited Syracuse and someone posted a picture of him and Boeheim. He looked thoroughly uninterested in being at Syracuse, and chose UConn not long after. And then we won the battle for Jackson this year.

A year before, we had lost on Jalen Carey. Once again, we have overtaken Syracuse.

Reaction Score
This was definitely a concern early in the season, but I think he is improving already. The last three games he has shot 100% (IU) 50% (St Pete) and 80% (UNH) from two. Currently averaging 51% from two, which is good for fourth on the team behind Bouk, Adams, and Carlton.

Let me rephrase a little, because I do agree with you on that. It doesn't seem like he can score at will from inside the arc - and tends to disappear offensively for stretches, but the potential is just oozing. I think that would make the difference of him getting drafted somewhere in the late-ish second round this year to being a lottery pick next year. Hope he sticks around so we can all find out :)

Reaction Score
That's the correct question.
We'll see if it turns out to be the correct answer.

Above, someone speculated that Akok might be remembered as the program changer. Here, as well, more of a good question than answer. What he brings to mind is how winning the recruiting battle over Syracuse for Donyell always felt like a major shifting moment in the program a quarter century ago.

A year ago, Akok visited Syracuse and someone posted a picture of him and Boeheim. He looked thoroughly uninterested in being at Syracuse, and chose UConn not long after. And then we won the battle for Jackson this year.

A year before, we had lost on Jalen Carey. Once again, we have overtaken Syracuse.
I do believe Jalen Carey is not happy there ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Amazing piece, right there!!

The Sponge!!!!
The question is are we sponge worthy?
1577225051651.png

Reaction Score
Let me rephrase a little, because I do agree with you on that. It doesn't seem like he can score at will from inside the arc - and tends to disappear offensively for stretches, but the potential is just oozing. I think that would make the difference of him getting drafted somewhere in the late-ish second round this year to being a lottery pick next year. Hope he sticks around so we can all find out :)
He's 10 games in and getting better every game. Akok is a hard worker and very coachable. He'd be scoring more if he was more of a focal point. Akok could very well end up in the first round this year.
Heard he gave Boeheim a handkerchief for Christmas.
Heard when Boeheim was picking out Xmas gifts he couldn't decide where to go Left or right nostril

Reaction Score
My concern, voiced in other threads, is this; He seems to start every game dominating both ends. But after 6 or 7 minutes of incredible play, he fades into the flow. He'll have a few (2 or 3) more highlight moments but is not consistently dominant. He still runs hard and blocks shots but doesn't dominate like at the beginning of a game. I have thoughts as to why this is, but will not digress at this point.

I think it is partly due to teams not knowing what they’re up against in the first couple minutes. They play against a lot of 6’9” guys so to say they’re gonna avoid going at him early in the game is not the best mindset for the opposing team. They learn the lesson quickly. The timing of his first foul is also a factor. He doesn’t want to pick up #2 early or at all in the first half.

We’ve been lucky enough to see a lot of shot blockers affect the game outside the stat sheet (Hash being the most impactful in my opinion) from a block perspective. We’ve started to see it here with Akok where the opposing teams begin to pass on shots they’d ordinarily take because of his early impact.

I’d love to see him block a shot a minute all game, but if he’s only gonna have 3-5 I’d love to see 85% of em in the first TV timeout to send the message early.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
As concerns go, that one ain't s bad. Like to have it for all 10 players.
Yeah, that true. It lookks like DH is starting to cut the rotation as we get into conference p
I noticed this in the game before last and it looked to me like he was winded and profusely sweating after 6 mins of all out play at both ends. Not unlike Brimah only Akok knows exactly what he is doing. Does not appear to have the stamina of someone like say Brimah. I do think Brimah was a freak athlete. Brimah ( a seven footer) winning the annual preseason race every year (I think) for example. Not sure about this but he has been on campus a long time as far as conditioning.
i have a feeling that it might be nutritional deficiencies. He is certainly in good enough physical shape. It seems as if he runs out of gas and that could be linked to diet. Purely speculation I know but the great athletes who played at a high level for a long time mostly had good diets. Long distance runners have known for years that the ability to finish strong is linked to diet.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He will be testing draft waters. I think his offense isn't quite there and he'll need another year. He does want to be a one and done though
I think he'll get his PPG up high enough by seasons end, he should've already been taking more shots, and we're seeing him become more comfortable each game. We know he has everything NBA scouts are looking for, and he's not close to his ceiling. Believe me, I selfishly want him back next year being perhaps the best player, on our best team since 2014, but i'm not betting on it.

Reaction Score
When he steps on the Court at the beginning of the game he reminds me so much of Amida Brimah.

Then the game starts and all similarities end. Sure they both block shots and run like greyhounds, but Akok has that extra 'sumthin-sumthin' that you rarely see. I know we have a small sample, but I have yet to see him outplayed and certainly not out-hustled.

The kid will be our foundation, and as was said earlier will lead us back to where we belong. Can't wait to see what happens when we start feeding our beast the ball. Enjoy him while we can, he will be aggressively courted.

If we have a future AA candidate, then surely its him. And its not too early to say or see that.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yeah, that true. It lookks like DH is starting to cut the rotation as we get into conference p

i have a feeling that it might be nutritional deficiencies. He is certainly in good enough physical shape. It seems as if he runs out of gas and that could be linked to diet. Purely speculation I know but the great athletes who played at a high level for a long time mostly had good diets. Long distance runners have known for years that the ability to finish strong is linked to diet.
Being on a campus like Uconn that should be fixable. I hope so. Keep that motor revved up to full potential.

Reaction Score
Imagine Akok was Brimahs size:eek:

Reaction Score
When he steps on the Court at the beginning of the game he reminds me so much of Amida Brimah.

Then the game starts and all similarities end. Sure they both block shots and run like greyhounds, but Akok has that extra 'sumthin-sumthin' that you rarely see. I know we have a small sample, but I have yet to see him outplayed and certainly not out-hustled.

The kid will be our foundation, and as was said earlier will lead us back to where we belong. Can't wait to see what happens when we start feeding our beast the ball. Enjoy him while we can, he will be aggressively courted.

If we have a future AA candidate, then surely its him. And its not too early to say or see that.
I think he'll be really good in a Uconn uniform but I wonder if we'll ever get to see him play on an all American Wooden Award candidate level. I mean will he be a guy who averages 12/6/4 as a really good player with but not star guy next year or will we see a big leap to an 17+/7+/4 conference player of the year/AA type? I really cant wait to find out.

Reaction Score
He's 10 games in and getting better every game. Akok is a hard worker and very coachable. He'd be scoring more if he was more of a focal point. Akok could very well end up in the first round this year.
He would cost himself millions and he wouldnt get off the bench much if at all. Hes got a way to go be physically ready for the NBA never mind a developed enough skillset on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
A lot of talk about Akok being one and done on here, I don’t see it. I see akok as a 3 and done. He needs to add a bunch of weight and improve his offensive game. At least he’ll be back next year.
Seeing that Big East logo just gives me chills in a good way. Its going to be so great to be home.

Reaction Score
A lot of talk about Akok being one and done on here, I don’t see it. I see akok as a 3 and done. He needs to add a bunch of weight and improve his offensive game. At least he’ll be back next year.

I don’t think one and done is realistic, as his offensive game is not instinctive enough yet. Once or twice a game he will make a move reminiscent of a freshman Donyell, but not often enough. I would hardly be surprised to see him take a huge leap on the offensive end next year, though, leading to an early departure at that time.

He’s already an elite defender and excellent rebounder , even in traffic against bigger and stronger guys.

Reaction Score
I don’t think one and done is realistic, as his offensive game is not instinctive enough yet. Once or twice a game he will make a move reminiscent of a freshman Donyell, but not often enough. I would hardly be surprised to see him take a huge leap on the offensive end next year, though, leading to an early departure at that time.

He’s already an elite defender and excellent rebounder , even in traffic against bigger and stronger guys.
I agree 100%. The flashes are there but he’s an undersized big who needs to add muscle and become a better shooter. Does his shot blocking prowess in college at 6’9” translate well to the NBA?

I think he has massive potential but would be afraid he’d be buried on an NBA bench for years or stuck in the D League if he leaves prematurely. Three years sounds right.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. The flashes are there but he’s an undersized big who needs to add muscle and become a better shooter. Does his shot blocking prowess in college at 6’9” translate well to the NBA?

I think he has massive potential but would be afraid he’d be buried on an NBA bench for years or stuck in the D League if he leaves prematurely. Three years sounds right.

I think two is more likely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom