Akok Akok is special | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok is special

Reaction Score
I think two is more likely.
I remember when early in Caron’s 2nd year it looked like he wasn’t ready, then he had an amazing 2nd half and was undeniably ready. If Akok had a jump like that next year or like Donyell did from his sophomore to junior year I’d be more than happy for the kid If he left after two years.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. The flashes are there but he’s an undersized big who needs to add muscle and become a better shooter. Does his shot blocking prowess in college at 6’9” translate well to the NBA?

I think he has massive potential but would be afraid he’d be buried on an NBA bench for years or stuck in the D League if he leaves prematurely. Three years sounds right.
His shooting is fine what he needs to work on is his ball handling which will help him drive passed defenders and making him lethal on the fast break. Id also like to see him develop some post moves. He has a nice shooting stroke so hes going to be a good shooter. Once he puts those things together with another 10+lbs of muscle he is going to do whatever he wants on the court at the college level and play himself into the NBA lottery.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember when early in Caron’s 2nd year it looked like he wasn’t ready, then he had an amazing 2nd half and was undeniably ready. If Akok had a jump like that next year or like Donyell did from his sophomore to junior year I’d be more than happy for the kid If he left after two years.
I think this is very likely. With the talent hes showing I find it hard to believe he willl be here 3 years.

Reaction Score
This kid could wind up being remembered as the recruit that singlehandedly began the turnaround for the program.

He adds a championship to it, legendary. I haven't enjoyed watching a husky this much since Bazz.
So you really mean he’s Cliff 2.0. Same game too.

Reaction Score
A lot of talk about Akok being one and done on here, I don’t see it. I see akok as a 3 and done. He needs to add a bunch of weight and improve his offensive game. At least he’ll be back next year.
One and done is possible but I think he will be back next year. I think he’s a 2 and done player and that is also Hurley’s goal for him. I’m not an insider in any way but everything I’ve heard informally from people who know people around the team say he’s on a two year plan.

Reaction Score
He will be testing draft waters. I think his offense isn't quite there and he'll need another year. He does want to be a one and done though
Shoot me now. Finally get a stud and they’re ready to leave in one year.

Reaction Score
If he leaves after one year, it would probably be because his game takes off and we make a tournament run. I’m not counting on that. I don’t think he’s on the radar as a first round pick for this year, but he obviously should be eventually. Three years would probably be best. Two years wouldn’t shock me. And if he’s good enough to leave after next year, it likely means we’ll be awesome.

Reaction Score
After Charleston there were a lot of posts about how Bouknight could be gone after this year and now this about Akok.
People need to take a deep breath, consider his strength and stamina, watch games of the other great players out there, factor in the international players likely to be drafted. That said, if we start to see 10-20 NBA scouts at our games going forward......................

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
His shooting is fine what he needs to work on is his ball handling which will help him drive passed defenders and making him lethal on the fast break. Id also like to see him develop some post moves. He has a nice shooting stroke so hes going to be a good shooter. Once he puts those things together with another 10+lbs of muscle he is going to do whatever he wants on the court at the college level and play himself into the NBA lottery.

I agree with this. The other thing to consider is that Akok seems to have a really high BBIQ so I would expect him to have little trouble improving. I can't remember the last freshman we've had that has looked this comfortable on the court. I mean, has Akok made a single "freshman mistake" on the court so far? The only one I can think of that would be classified that way was his 2nd foul against Indiana (I think?) where he just hugged his man when he didn't even have the ball and he was fighting for position. Some guys just get the game; Akok gets it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Folks have to adjust. One ounce of worry about what a kid might do in the future is wasted effort. It's a year-to-year game today.

Reaction Score
A lot of talk about Akok being one and done on here, I don’t see it. I see akok as a 3 and done. He needs to add a bunch of weight and improve his offensive game. At least he’ll be back next year.
I think a lot of the one and done talk/concerns stems from his recruitment. For a while there was talk that he was not going to attend college at all. Also, the NBA drafts on potential. With the current rules, he should be advised to enter the draft this year to see where he stands. If an NBA team thinks enough of his potential to draft him in the first round, it would be hard to turn down that money.

Reaction Score
When will high schoolers probably be allowed to go into the draft again? 2021 or 2022? Whatever draft that is, is a good draft for college players to avoid if they can which would mean going in a year early.

Reaction Score
We are having the same conversation about Akok we had with Bouk 3 weeks ago. It's funny to me how badly we want our guys to be stars we ignore the fact that there is still a ton of growth to be had. Akok unlike Bouk has come out every game and looked a little better. Has been everything you all have said, I'm not challenging that. What I would say, is what I said three weeks ago about Bouk. Be patient, this is a freshman, he's going to have ups and downs. Very unlikely he's a 1 and done, at least not realistically with a smart personal decision at years end. If it ends up that he is and it's the right decision well we have a great ride to look forward to over the next few months. But lets not pretend that's likely. As I reread this it reads much more negative then it's meant. Underlying point: We as a fan base are so hungry for success we have 0 patience. Still think the most likely player to be gone next year is AG and the likelihood of everyone being back is a significant percentage. We are 8-3 team, getting little respect nationally, with a lot to prove but we are and should be very excited about the coaching, recruiting, and direction of the program!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We are having the same conversation about Akok we had with Bouk 3 weeks ago. It's funny to me how badly we want our guys to be stars we ignore the fact that there is still a ton of growth to be had. Akok unlike Bouk has come out every game and looked a little better. Has been everything you all have said, I'm not challenging that. What I would say, is what I said three weeks ago about Bouk. Be patient, this is a freshman, he's going to have ups and downs. Very unlikely he's a 1 and done, at least not realistically with a smart personal decision at years end. If it ends up that he is and it's the right decision well we have a great ride to look forward to over the next few months. But lets not pretend that's likely. As I reread this it reads much more negative then it's meant. Underlying point: We as a fan base are so hungry for success we have 0 patience. Still think the most likely player to be gone next year is AG and the likelihood of everyone being back is a significant percentage. We are 8-3 team, getting little respect nationally, with a lot to prove but we are and should be very excited about the coaching, recruiting, and direction of the program!
Player most likely to be gone next year is Christian.:)
It’s a beautiful thing to observe Boneyard feelings ebb and flow like the tide.
You have offered some pragmatic suggestions to temper expectations.
This endeavor however is like shoveling shixty against the tide.
Persist but go with the flow.

Reaction Score
When will high schoolers probably be allowed to go into the draft again? 2021 or 2022? Whatever draft that is, is a good draft for college players to avoid if they can which would mean going in a year early.

Remember Andrew Bynum going early and not enrolling at UConn because he feared the NBA would implement a minimum age of 20 for the draft? He had a so-so career but still earned between $80 and $100 million. So much money in the NBA it's hard to pass up if you are advised you'll be drafted in a guaranteed slot.

Reaction Score
Sheffer?

Sheffer had the unbelievable touch on the 2 handed low release full court pass it was a sight to see. As far as actual outlets Jake was solid, crisp outlets or 2 handed over the head passes. We've had very few really good ones, Josh Boone was ok too most the one handed push but he was good. For those who are old like me (a few here won't believe this lol) John Thomas in the late 70's was the best. Threw the over the head 2 hander like a rocket a long way, one of our best rebounders ever so he had some practice.

Reaction Score

I don't see him sticking around for 3 full seasons.

1) He came mid-year last year, surely with the idea of being ready to leave after 1 year or at most 2.
2) He's exactly the sort of guy who would be drafted high on "potential" even before he puts up big numbers and dominates at the college level. Think Drummond.

I can see Hurley convincing him to stick around for a 2nd full year to really show what he can do. A 3rd year I don't think so.

Reaction Score
I don't see him sticking around for 3 full seasons.

1) He came mid-year last year, surely with the idea of being ready to leave after 1 year or at most 2.
2) He's exactly the sort of guy who would be drafted high on "potential" even before he puts up big numbers and dominates at the college level. Think Drummond.

I can see Hurley convincing him to stick around for a 2nd full year to really show what he can do. A 3rd year I don't think so.
This. People need to remember the draft is about potential. Whether he is "ready" for the NBA isn't nearly as important as how high teams rate his ceiling.

Reaction Score
Sheffer had the unbelievable touch on the 2 handed low release full court pass it was a sight to see. As far as actual outlets Jake was solid, crisp outlets or 2 handed over the head passes. We've had very few really good ones, Josh Boone was ok too most the one handed push but he was good. For those who are old like me (a few here won't believe this lol) John Thomas in the late 70's was the best. Threw the over the head 2 hander like a rocket a long way, one of our best rebounders ever so he had some practice.
Emeka was a beast at this too and doesn’t get enough credit, but then again he excelled at everything. Boone was always my favorite at starting the break. He was instinctive at grabbing boards like a magnet.

Reaction Score
What's really cool to me is how much my youngest (13 yo) loves watching him play. He's a hoop fan of the highest order (NBA mainly), but he saw some highlights of him in the condensed games on youtube and now he can't stop raving about him every time he makes a play. Really fun to see a kid latch on to a player.

Reaction Score
What's really cool to me is how much my youngest (13 yo) loves watching him play. He's a hoop fan of the highest order (NBA mainly), but he saw some highlights of him in the condensed games on youtube and now he can't stop raving about him every time he makes a play. Really fun to see a kid latch on to a player.

Best part about the game is watching kids learn to love it.

I never would have played if I didn't watch Khalid. And I wouldn't be coaching if it wasn't for Kemba. Most entertaining playets I've ever seen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom