Akinjo Commits!!!!!! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Akinjo Commits!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No SJ wrong. I took umbrage with someone thinking in 12 months this kid can't contribute (or translate his game to college) like Bazz did as a freshman. So if you guys get a chance read my reply - better yet here:

No one is saying he's "going to be Bazz" what I am saying why can't we believe in 12 months we can think he can translate into the college game, why not?

Freshman Bazz vs Akinjo 12 months form now. I'm not sure but his video's are really similar to Bazz as a Sr in HS so while he may not be Bazz in impact when he leaves my point is he could still contribute as a freshman. This isn't that hard. We could only hope he could turn out good enough after 3-4 years to even speak of him in the same sentence as Bazz, Kemba or even Boat.
Why is it ridiculous? It was ridiculous to think he was going to do what he did when he got here. So it's also ridiculous to assume this kid can't do that.

You say two entirely different things.

I don't even know what you're saying because you seemed to take umbrage with the idea it's ridiculous to think Akinjo will be like Bazz at Uconn and then you turn around and say "No one is saying he's going to be Bazz."

I expect Akinjo to contribute as a freshman at Uconn and also think it's ridiculous to assume he will be like Bazz at Uconn.

Pretty sure we think the same thing.

Reaction Score
You say two entirely different things.

I don't even know what you're saying because you seemed to take umbrage with the idea it's ridiculous to think Akinjo will be like Bazz at Uconn and then you turn around and say "No one is saying he's going to be Bazz."

I expect Akinjo to contribute as a freshman at Uconn and also think it's ridiculous to assume he will be like Bazz at Uconn.

Pretty sure we think the same thing.

I am pretty sure that's what I said and yet I don't know what I'm saying? Holy crap I quit.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that's what I said and yet I don't know what I'm saying? Holy crap I quit.
If you can't see you said two different things, I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
Akinjo looks good. What he does he does well but not as good as he is going to. Everything I've read or heard about his upbringing or who he is now indicates that he is a hard nosed tough competitor that lives and breathes basketball and works, works, works at it until he made himself a 4 star Peach Jam MVP scoring 42 points. And get this,... he's 16 years old I think. This kid scheduled a visit and committed with no hesitation and no fanfare. Took one visit. Wants to play for us. Everything he's been working for his whole Life he's trusting the Uconn program/staff to help bring his game to the next level. He wants to be here, no question about it. Ollie probably loves this kid's heart and work ethic.This kid does remind me of Shabazz in more ways than one. Mostly his attitude and reputed toughness. Shabazz was fearless and that's how Akinjo seems to play. Those long distance 3s definitely remind me of Bazz. This kid is good and is going to get better. Dribbling, passing, scoring will improve because the kid works and he wants it.

Reaction Score
Ray
Rip
Ben
Donyell
Caron
Cliff
Emeka
Kemba
Then a lot of folks you could argue about

If we're talking about talent alone then no Bazz is not in UConn's top five but if we're talking about accomplishments at UConn then you can easily put him in top five. Not only does he have two rings but he put the team on his back and led them to the national championship his senior year. Kemba is the only other UConn player to do that. Plus you have to give Bazz points for staying with the program and becoming a leader through the whole Calhoun/Ollie transition and postseason ban.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love Bazz, but he is not one of the 5 best UConn players

I have to disagree here. After Kemba and Ray, Shabazz is next. Played a big part in 2011, carried us through the postseason ban, and then lead us to #4 by going on an incredible tournament run.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Nice list BUT how many guys put the team on their shoulders and carried it to a NC?
Anyone who did that should be in a top 10 list
Khalid?
Wow UConn had so many exceptional players we argue who belongs in the top 5 from field of fifteen.

Reaction Score
Khalid?
Wow UConn had so many exceptional players we argue who belongs in the top 5 from field of fifteen.
Khalid was great but Rip was hands down the best player on that team.

Only players you can legitimately argue had a career as good or better than Bazz at Uconn is Rip, Kemba, Donyell, Emeka, and Ray. I personally wouldn't with Ray but the case could be made.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I think the argument could be made if the Yard voted on a Mount Rushmore of men's hoops to be created outside Storrs, you might not need to look further than 4 titles for 4 heads on our mountain top.

Rip, Ray, Chris Smith, Ben, Caron are all legends but I'd vote KEA, Ok4, Kemba, Bazz. Without each, there's one less banner. One extraordinary player represents each magical title. They were each teams leader in my humble opinion.

Reaction Score
The question is top 5 what? Career or player? If we are talking careers Bazz has to be top five, 2 NC is unprecedented in UConn history

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think the argument could be made if the Yard voted on a Mount Rushmore of men's hoops to be created outside Storrs, you might not need to look further than 4 titles for 4 heads on our mountain top.

Rip, Ray, Chris Smith, Ben, Caron are all legends but I'd vote KEA, Ok4, Kemba, Bazz. Without each, there's one less banner. One extraordinary player represents each magical title. They were each teams leader in my humble opinion.

I don't see how you don't include Rip. I mean, the first one was the most important of all. Without that, there very well might be nothing...

Reaction Score
Should only care about the banners. Shabazz helped deliver two. He's a top-5 player no doubt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because Bazz is one of the best players to ever play here and he is the only star player here with 2 national championships.
Hmm,

Who are your 5?

1. Bazz, and...

Reaction Score
I love Bazz, but he is not one of the 5 best UConn players
Top 5 beloved (by UConn fans)? Sure. Top 5 Onions? Probably. Put up some awesome numbers, but yeah, far from being objectively a top 5 player. If we are drafting UConn players only, he ain't even in that lottery.

Reaction Score
Top 5 beloved (by UConn fans)? Sure. Top 5 Onions? Probably. Put up some awesome numbers, but yeah, far from being objectively a top 5 player. If we are drafting UConn players only, he ain't even in that lottery.

C'mon. One of only 6 1st-Team All Americans. 2 National Championships. NCAAT Tournament MVP. 2 Time 1st team All Conference. Cousy award winner.

I don't see any point in ranking all these dudes but he is pretty clearly in the mix for top 5. Unless we are just talking about pure talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom