Akinjo Commits!!!!!! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Akinjo Commits!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When did fans not get excited about the commitment of a top 100 recruit with high upside?
Our history for a couple of decades has been recruiting unfinished diamonds. Many of the older fans here understand what potential looks like and certainly get excited.

Shabazz (4 star) is a recent example if you are young. I don't have the time to name more, but the point is made.

So the answer to'when'; is 'for decades'.

Reaction Score
Looks legit!! He'll be a ton of fun to watch.

On a side not, can someone tell me at 1:01 why this little shuffle step never gets called a travel? I see it everywhere and it drives me nuttttttttttts that it never gets called.

Because it's not a travel.

As long as you shoot or pass the ball.

Sometimes players will step into a shot, and then dribble again--that is a carry and a travel.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Sorry but watching strokin' Daffy Duck while listening to Clarence Carter is amazing.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Because it's not a travel.

As long as you shoot or pass the ball.

Sometimes players will step into a shot, and then dribble again--that is a carry and a travel.

He's fine because he does it before catching the ball. If he caught it, then did the hop, then landed and went back up to shoot, then it should be a travel.

Reaction Score
Our history for a couple of decades has been recruiting unfinished diamonds. Many of the older fans here understand what potential looks like and certainly get excited.

Shabazz (4 star) is a recent example if you are young. I don't have the time to name more, but the point is made.

So the answer to'when'; is 'for decades'.
Completely concur with you

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
time doing it's thing, I love the progress and I love the kids our staff is landing

can't wait

PS: Don't think anyone can say "we landed the wrong Akinjo" :)

Although I may be mistaken

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He looks very similar to Alterique Gilbert more than anyone else to me. Shabazz had more craftiness to his game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Rique is far more athletic

I know nothing about this kid, but is he at least more athletic than Bazz? Sounds like he might be a better defender coming in.

Reaction Score
He looks very similar to Alterique Gilbert more than anyone else to me. Shabazz had more craftiness to his game.

Alterique is a signifcantly better basketball player at this stage tham akinjo.

I may be in the minority, but i do not believe that akinjo will translate well to the college game at first. Hes going to need to put in WORK to be successful. He doesnt have riques ballhandling or athleticism. He needs to develop more moves off the bounce if he wants to thrive. Im sure the coaches have told him

Reaction Score
Alterique is a signifcantly better basketball player at this stage tham akinjo.

I may be in the minority, but i do not believe that akinjo will translate well to the college game at first. Hes going to need to put in WORK to be successful. He doesnt have riques ballhandling or athleticism. He needs to develop more moves off the bounce if he wants to thrive. Im sure the coaches have told him

Same things said about Bazz, same questions. Kid has another year to work on his skill set although it looks pretty damn good to me. He has a solid handle, can pass the ball and can shoot it. Just the fact he can make a shot gives him some space let's give it time he's not coming here for 12 months. Alterique is stronger physically no doubt and quicker, different players but I like his shot a lot better than AG's. He's not supposed to be as good out of the gate as a McD AA so that's fine, he doesn't have to be. Bazz was great next to the McD AA guy his freshman year, made each other better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Same things said about Bazz, same questions. Kid has another year to work on his skill set although it looks pretty damn good to me. He has a solid handle, can pass the ball and can shoot it. Just the fact he can make a shot gives him some space let's give it time he's not coming here for 12 months. Alterique is stronger physically no doubt and quicker, different players but I like his shot a lot better than AG's. He's not supposed to be as good out of the gate as a McD AA so that's fine, he doesn't have to be. Bazz was great next to the McD AA guy his freshman year, made each other better.

It pretty ridiculous to assume anyobe will come close to as good as bazz. Im just saying yall need to temper expectations. Freshman are freshman, and hes not even one of them yet

Reaction Score
It pretty ridiculous to assume anyobe will come close to as good as bazz. Im just saying yall need to temper expectations. Freshman are freshman, and hes not even one of them yet

Why is it ridiculous? It was ridiculous to think he was going to do what he did when he got here. So it's also ridiculous to assume this kid can't do that. No one is saying he's "going to be Bazz" what I am saying why can't we believe in 12 months we can think he can translate into the college game, why not?

Reaction Score
Why is it ridiculous? It was ridiculous to think he was going to do what he did when he got here. So it's also ridiculous to assume this kid can't do that. No one is saying he's "going to be Bazz" what I am saying why can't we believe in 12 months we can think he can translate into the college game, why not?
Because Bazz is one of the best players to ever play here and he is the only star player here with 2 national championships.

Reaction Score
Because Bazz is one of the best players to ever play here and he is the only star player here with 2 national championships.

No kidding I didn't know that? But did you expect him to be that when we said yes to UConn? I mean anyone who now says they knew he was going to be the player who would win 2 NC's and also dominate the NCAA tourney his senior year is a liar. I mean what am I missing here, no one said he was going to be Bazz but someone said he's not going to translate into the college game immediately because he has an inadequate handle and is not athletic enough. My point is he is 12 months away, looks in his video's like Bazz a lot when he left prep school, the same kid we had no idea of what we were getting. Why not think he might be able to be a very good player and have some impact immediately? The comparison is coming into UConn not the player that left, I would assume.

Wow I guess I should say "nice get but the kid may not play until his senior year because he looks inadequate" then I won't have all these negative replies. WTH

Reaction Score
No kidding I didn't know that? But did you expect him to be that when we said yes to UConn? I mean anyone who now says they knew he was going to be the player who would win 2 NC's and also dominate the NCAA tourney his senior year is a liar. I mean what am I missing here, no one said he was going to be Bazz but someone said he's not going to translate into the college game immediately because he has an inadequate handle and is not athletic enough. My point is he is 12 months away, looks in his video's like Bazz a lot when he left prep school, the same kid we had no idea of what we were getting. Why not think he might be able to be a very good player and have some impact immediately? The comparison is coming into UConn not the player that left, I would assume.

Wow I guess I should say "nice get but the kid may not play until his senior year because he looks inadequate" then I won't have all these negative replies. WTH
You took umbrage with someone saying it's pretty ridiculous to assume Akinjo will be as good as Bazz. Yes, it's pretty ridiculous that Akinjo will be one of the 5 best Husky player's of all-time. The chances are remarkably slim.

Reaction Score
You took umbrage with someone saying it's pretty ridiculous to assume Akinjo will be as good as Bazz. Yes, it's pretty ridiculous that Akinjo will be one of the 5 best Husky player's of all-time. The chances are remarkably slim.

No SJ wrong. I took umbrage with someone thinking in 12 months this kid can't contribute (or translate his game to college) like Bazz did as a freshman. So if you guys get a chance read my reply - better yet here:

No one is saying he's "going to be Bazz" what I am saying why can't we believe in 12 months we can think he can translate into the college game, why not?

Freshman Bazz vs Akinjo 12 months form now. I'm not sure but his video's are really similar to Bazz as a Sr in HS so while he may not be Bazz in impact when he leaves my point is he could still contribute as a freshman. This isn't that hard. We could only hope he could turn out good enough after 3-4 years to even speak of him in the same sentence as Bazz, Kemba or even Boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom