AK/ESPN combine story | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AK/ESPN combine story

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If he's a first round pick with guaranteed money, he should leave

If not, he should return. Players improve their draft status each and every year without exception. Those suggesting this can't happen are simply not paying attention.

So I think it's a toss up, slight lean towards returning. Nothing cast in stone

All the best Alex, good luck, chase your dreams

Reaction Score

If not, he should return. Players improve their draft status each and every year without exception. Those suggesting this can't happen are simply not paying attention.

So I think it's a toss up, slight lean towards returning. Nothing cast in stone

All the best Alex, good luck, chase your dreams
I think people get caught up in this being a bad draft. It’s bad top end talent wise, but there’s not much difference after that.

Reaction Score
I think Alex if he gets stronger will be able to put the ball on the floor and get his own shot and he’s smart enough to be valuable. At this point though he seems a bit weak for the NBA, but I admit I’m no NBA guru, just watching the playoffs these guys are tough MF’s.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

If not, he should return.
What if he's ready to go? If he wants to go, and that's what it sounds like, it's better for everyone if he goes.

Reaction Score
Seems like some folks aren't aware that the last 2 picks in last year's draft each got $1.9m guaranteed on total contracts north of $7m. If someone likes you, the NBA money is there.

Reaction Score
AK the pic on the story

Assisted access

Karaban has the option to return to UConn, where he was instrumental in the Huskies' consecutive championship runs, making him one of the more consequential stay-or-go decisions. He'll also have an opportunity to take that momentum and build on it at the combine. Karaban has fans around the NBA due in large part to his considerable basketball IQ, toughness and winning acumen. He's a good shooter with enough positional size to play both forward spots, and a smart connective player who moves the ball and understands his role.
The primary knock on Karaban is his average athleticism and length, and how that translates defensively -- he won't be quick enough to defend every wing, nor is he the type of strong, disruptive player who will impact the game much as a rim-protector in help. He's also not going to create many shots for himself off the dribble, relying more on his passing and cutting ability to impact the game away from the ball. These factors aren't going to change, but the combine presents a stage for Karaban to showcase the many things he does well outside of UConn's complex, read-heavy offensive system. Whether he stays in the draft might hinge on whether a team rates him enough to guarantee him a deal, making this a big week for him -- and the Huskies.
I wonder what he tests on vertical. He seems to have decent ups. He definitely was able to block some shots that made him look more athletic than this commentary gives him credit for. I think he is an underrated defensive player and I loved that he improved his strength this year to battle bigger guys inside. I wonder if some his measurables test higher than thought if that will be the reason he leaves.

Reaction Score
Seems like some folks aren't aware that the last 2 picks in last year's draft each got $1.9m guaranteed on total contracts north of $7m. If someone likes you, the NBA money is there.
So I’m assuming that if the last 2 picks got guaranteed money,then all second round picks did better than 1.9 guaranteed? seems to change the calculus

Reaction Score
So I’m assuming that if the last 2 picks got guaranteed money,then all second round picks did better than 1.9 guaranteed? seems to change the calculus
This isn’t true. Andre signed a 4 year deal for 7.9 with 2 mil guaranteed. The aav of the deal is 1.9 but more of it is back loaded.

Reaction Score
If he’s looking at G league contract, what’s then benefit of leaving? Won’t his NIL. Be at least G league money?
He’ll be offered close to a Million to stay by our NIL collective.
i’m hoping he stays

Reaction Score
While Andre (Pick #44) got $2M guaranteed and Tyrese Martin (Pick #51) got $1M guaranteed, most in the second half of the second round get two-way contracts with little guarantee. AK should know his prospects by the end of the week.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
First, thanks for the assisted access.

Second, I just read that most second round picks sign contracts for $500k or less, with the money not guaranteed.

I realize that next year’s draft is projected to be stronger than this year’s, but I still can’t help thinking that maybe returning to UConn might not be such a bad option for him.
I just don’t think he’s going to get any faster or start jumping higher at UConn. His limitations are mostly physical. He’s also fairly old now.

If he sees his future as mostly outside of basketball, they come back and get a degree. If he wants to give pro ball a shot he should probably stay in the draft, depending on what he hears this week.

Reaction Score
Which last 2 picks are you referring to?

Reaction Score
First, thanks for the assisted access.

Second, I just read that most second round picks sign contracts for $500k or less, with the money not guaranteed.

I realize that next year’s draft is projected to be stronger than this year’s, but I still can’t help thinking that maybe returning to UConn might not be such a bad option for him.
Leaving didn’t really help AJ, it was a wasted year. All depends on the situation you’re drafted into. Even Hawkins as a lottery pick had a wasted year as far as improving his career.

Reaction Score
I think it’s 50/50. There is no reason to go if you feel that you can still improve while playing in college AND make more money. I don’t think coming back will hurt him at all. Staying might net him an extra 200-300k in guaranteed income and maybe a little more star power. No matter when he enters the draft he’s probably a late pick. His situation is kind of unique. Most players would have a clearer answer.
I think he shot the ball a little better last season than this season. I think he should stay, and he definitely ups the ante for a 3-peat if he stays. If he stays and makes AA he definitely gets a better NBA contract. The odds for a Duke vs UConn regular season game next year are very good, and Karaban has a chance to prove himself.

Reaction Score
Traycee Jackson+Davis and Chris Livingston each got 4yr, $7.6ish deals with 1.9 guaranteed. I think they were technically late 50s picks since last year had some forfeits.

NIL is definitely catching up for elite single year payments, but cumulative value isn't quite there yet. NBA seems to be expanding available cash for second rounders and I wouldn't be surprised if the folded OE, and made available some of those funds for later draft picks as well.

Reaction Score
The reason the last two picks were anomalies and got big guaranteed contracts when the picks ahead of them didn't, was that they had worked out deals at the combine with the teams that wanted them. Tim Kawakami, who follows the Warriors, says that Trace Jackson-Davis turned down being drafted early in the second round when teams called to see if he would take a two-way contract, knowing what the Warriors had guaranteed him. Shams Charania, also of The Athletic, said the same thing happened with Chris Livingston, who came on strong late in the season, got a promise from the Bucks, and cancelled all his workouts after the combine.

Reaction Score
The reason the last two picks were anomalies and got big guaranteed contracts when the picks ahead of them didn't, was that they had worked out deals at the combine with the teams that wanted them. Tim Kawakami, who follows the Warriors, says that Trace Jackson-Davis turned down being drafted early in the second round when teams called to see if he would take a two-way contract, knowing what the Warriors had guaranteed him. Shams Charania, also of The Athletic, said the same thing happened with Chris Livingston, who came on strong late in the season, got a promise from the Bucks, and cancelled all his workouts after the combine.
Yeah, if I'm not mistaken the NBA CBA doesn't require guarantees for 2nds but they are increasing in size and frequency. I think about half of 2nds got guarantees of around $1.9m last year with almost all of the first 10 picks.

Reaction Score
He gone… No way the NBA lets him go past the first round, there’s more than a few teams that come to mind that could use Karaban, just my opinion of course
Admittedly the mock drafts are just the opinions of others, but most don’t think he’s a first round choice. In fact, some don’t even list him as a second round pick either.

Reaction Score
Admittedly the mock drafts are just the opinions of others, but most don’t think he’s a first round choice. In fact, some don’t even list him as a second round pick either.
I hear ya, I’m no draft expert

Reaction Score
On the other hand, neither am I. And, in support of your assessment, the Athletic just slotted him at #28, going to Denver.
#28 was slotted for over 6 million over 3 years but how much guaranteed? Just year 1?

Reaction Score
I just don’t think he’s going to get any faster or start jumping higher at UConn. His limitations are mostly physical. He’s also fairly old now.

If he sees his future as mostly outside of basketball, they come back and get a degree. If he wants to give pro ball a shot he should probably stay in the draft, depending on what he hears this week.

He was a liability on defense his freshman year and last season he was solid . He might win national POY if he returns.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think people get caught up in this being a bad draft. It’s bad top end talent wise, but there’s not much difference after that.
It’s a little weak at the top but there’s a lot of guys who are first round talents. I haven’t seen Alex being mocked in the first. More of a mid-2nd type prospect right now. He should honestly get his degree. The money won’t be that different anyway.

Reaction Score
#28 was slotted for over 6 million over 3 years but how much guaranteed? Just year 1?
First round contracts are all guaranteed the first 3 years with 4th and 5th year team options. The 5th year escalates more in value as well.

Bouknight didn't have his 4th year picked up, but still made close to 15 million.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom