AK/ESPN combine story | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AK/ESPN combine story

Reaction Score
People are getting a little out of control with his three point shooting. AK lighting it up from three in drills was pretty much expected. It’s the other stuff that will determine his draft stock and whether he goes or returns.

Could easily see him going. Could easily see him returning.

Reaction Score
People are getting a little out of control with his three point shooting. AK lighting it up from three in drills was pretty much expected. It’s the other stuff that will determine his draft stock and whether he goes or returns.

I don't know if being the top shooter was expected. Good for him, hopefully Coach has a good roster addition in the hopper if needed.

Reaction Score
"Back half of the first...."

Are you basing this on his lane agility, his shuttle run or his always important height w/o shoes? :D

Reaction Score
Something that will low-key help our more borderline guys like Karaban and Newton is that a lot of their 3-point attempts were from deep.

This was frustrating when it felt like we were taking more difficult 26-footers than easier 23-footers, but will help them and their credibility as NBA shooters.

Reaction Score
I do wonder if any teams would have pause about his low/slow/awkward release. It clearly seems like a "don't fix what ain't broke" scenario from an accuracy point of view, but can he get the shot off against NBA athletes (or does that even matter given the spacing these offenses generate)?

I guess it worked for Shawn Marion.

Reaction Score
As always, the private workouts with NBA teams will be the most important phase of the draft. However, if the combine meant nothing, they NBA wouldn't hold it. You can help or hurt your draft stock in Chicago. It fair to say AK did NOT hurt his draft stock with his shooting and he very well may have helped it.

Reaction Score
I do wonder if any teams would have pause about his low/slow/awkward release. It clearly seems like a "don't fix what ain't broke" scenario from an accuracy point of view, but can he get the shot off against NBA athletes (or does that even matter given the spacing these offenses generate)?

He’ll be able to make open shots when he’s on, but he’s not creating space to get a jumper off. Marion was a freak athlete and that weird release was a pretty quick “throw”. He also had the advantage of being a threat to blow by you and posterize you so he had to be given some space. They aren’t really comparable situations.

Alex is going to have value as a solid and smart all around basketball player. I’d love to see him rework that shot a little so it looks more conventional and he can release it quicker. It would really help take his game up a notch. Unlike a guy like Andre Jackson, rebooting Karaban’s shot should be pretty easy.

Reaction Score

Brandon Hausen just released a video a few months ago of him hitting 30+ in a row. Bronny hit almost 75% of his threes, too. As did Castle. Who we all know is not yet a good in-game shooter.

Reaction Score
Brandon Hausen just released a video a few months ago of him hitting 30+ in a row. Bronny hit almost 75% of his threes, too. As did Castle. Who we all know is not yet a good in-game shooter.

I wonder if there's any in-game footage of whether Karaban is capable of hitting clutch 3pt shots to validate his combine shooting prowess...

Reaction Score
I don't know, man. Castle did pretty confidently drain a few open 3s in a high-pressure spot early against Alabama in the Final Four (strongly reminiscent of wide-open Sanogo pouring in two in a row in the same scenario against Miami). Castle's stroke looked good by the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Something that will low-key help our more borderline guys like Karaban and Newton is that a lot of their 3-point attempts were from deep.

This was frustrating when it felt like we were taking more difficult 26-footers than easier 23-footers, but will help them and their credibility as NBA shooters.
Funny you noted the deep 3s he would take. I actually liked that he and Newton would often take open threes two to three feet beyond the collegiate three-point Arc. Knocking down outside Js are more a factor of repeated execution at comfortable distances than the distance themselves.

I've often wondered why wouldn't coaches teach their good shooters to take their threes at least a foot or more beyond the outside Arc, where defenders often allow more a buffer from that distance. I wonder statistically if there much of a big difference between taking a less contested 25 footer compared to taking one with their toes just behind the arc with a hand in their face.

Seeing how often Newton and Karaban took deep threes, would seem to indicate that it was part of Hurley's player development and game plan. Not only do those deep dagger threes have a psychological impact on the opponent, it also opens up the court forcing the D to defend further out and provides a lot of intriguing film for NBA franchises that are looking for shooters that are comfortable beyond the NBA 3-point arc.

I think we're going to see more of the same this coming season and beyond as long as UConn has one or more outside shooters who feel comfortable shooting out there and are able to knock them down at reasonable clip.

Alex did struggle with consistency for some stretches during the season, but I think as he gets stronger and has more time to work on his game, he'll get those percentages back up to an impressive number. Selfishly, I wish he wasn't shooting them quite as good at the combine ensuring a return to UConn, but I think there will be more than one franchise that will see enough in his overall game in addition to his sharp shooting to commit to taking him at an acceptable draft position and dollar figure. I have often wondered what if a team picks him in the second round that hasn't promised a certain contract number before one of the teams is able to select him that did lay out some parameters. Some second round picks are getting some big contracts with solid guaranteed money, but not all of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here are the actual numbers for the three drills. The goal of the projected 2nd rounders is to get noticed. I think Karaban got noticed.

He shot 27-of-30 on dribble jumpers, 21-of-25 in the star drill and 21-of-26 on side-mid-side jumpers, all first-place numbers.

Reaction Score
Here are the actual numbers for the three drills. The goal of the projected 2nd rounders is to get noticed. I think Karaban got noticed.

He shot 27-of-30 on dribble jumpers, 21-of-25 in the star drill and 21-of-26 on side-mid-side jumpers, all first-place numbers.
Being able to hit corner 3s is so important for how NBA offenses space the floor.

And it's an underrated skill. I was a good shooter, but mostly from the wing and top of the key. I hated shooting from the corners.

Reaction Score

Yeah I was wondering if he would change his release as it is too slow and with a hitch but he didn't. It will be interesting how NBA GMs view it.

Reaction Score

You're judging this by the combine shooting? During games Alex had a very quick release. Too quick, if you ask me.

Reaction Score
You're judging this by the combine shooting? During games Alex had a very quick release. Too quick, if you ask me.
Alex has a very slow release due to how he loads with the hitch in his shot. There are definitely times he couldn't beat the shot clock buzzer since he does have a slow release.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom