AK/ESPN combine story | The Boneyard

AK/ESPN combine story

Reaction Score
AK the pic on the story

Assisted access

Karaban has the option to return to UConn, where he was instrumental in the Huskies' consecutive championship runs, making him one of the more consequential stay-or-go decisions. He'll also have an opportunity to take that momentum and build on it at the combine. Karaban has fans around the NBA due in large part to his considerable basketball IQ, toughness and winning acumen. He's a good shooter with enough positional size to play both forward spots, and a smart connective player who moves the ball and understands his role.
The primary knock on Karaban is his average athleticism and length, and how that translates defensively -- he won't be quick enough to defend every wing, nor is he the type of strong, disruptive player who will impact the game much as a rim-protector in help. He's also not going to create many shots for himself off the dribble, relying more on his passing and cutting ability to impact the game away from the ball. These factors aren't going to change, but the combine presents a stage for Karaban to showcase the many things he does well outside of UConn's complex, read-heavy offensive system. Whether he stays in the draft might hinge on whether a team rates him enough to guarantee him a deal, making this a big week for him -- and the Huskies.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Excerpt:

Karaban has fans around the NBA due in large part to his considerable basketball IQ, toughness and winning acumen. He's a good shooter with enough positional size to play both forward spots, and a smart connective player who moves the ball and understands his role.

The primary knock on Karaban is his average athleticism and length, and how that translates defensively -- he won't be quick enough to defend every wing, nor is he the type of strong, disruptive player who will impact the game much as a rim-protector in help. He's also not going to create many shots for himself off the dribble, relying more on his passing and cutting ability to impact the game away from the ball.

Whether he stays in the draft might hinge on whether a team rates him enough to guarantee him a deal, making this a big week for him -- and the Huskies.

Reaction Score
AK the pic on the story

Assisted access
First, thanks for the assisted access.

Second, I just read that most second round picks sign contracts for $500k or less, with the money not guaranteed.

I realize that next year’s draft is projected to be stronger than this year’s, but I still can’t help thinking that maybe returning to UConn might not be such a bad option for him.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Toss a coin.

Weak 2024 draft gets him a +/- $500k not guaranteed contract.

Stronger 2025 draft gets him a +/- $500k not guaranteed contract.

His inabilities (weaknesses) will likely be unchanged between 2023 and 2024.

His strengths have a possibility/probability of some improvement.

(He also runs a risk of being the only NCAA player in history to have earned 3 rings. So there is that.)

Reaction Score
I think it’s 50/50. There is no reason to go if you feel that you can still improve while playing in college AND make more money. I don’t think coming back will hurt him at all. Staying might net him an extra 200-300k in guaranteed income and maybe a little more star power. No matter when he enters the draft he’s probably a late pick. His situation is kind of unique. Most players would have a clearer answer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think it's 90/10 he's leaving. He doesn't have anything left to prove at UConn.

Reaction Score
He gone… No way the NBA lets him go past the first round, there’s more than a few teams that come to mind that could use Karaban, just my opinion of course

Reaction Score
Inside source - he wants to go, but it remains up in the air. If he’s projected high second, he’s gone. You can still get plenty of guaranteed dollars in early second, negotiated. I can’t blame him. I’d say 75-25 he’s gone. If he bombs at the combine and drops into the second half of round 2, maybe he considers it.

Reaction Score
First, thanks for the assisted access.

Second, I just read that most second round picks sign contracts for $500k or less, with the money not guaranteed.

I realize that next year’s draft is projected to be stronger than this year’s, but I still can’t help thinking that maybe returning to UConn might not be such a bad option for him.
Is that really true for second round picks? I thought the year 1 salary was just over 1M.

Reaction Score
Toss a coin.

Weak 2024 draft gets him a +/- $500k not guaranteed contract.

Stronger 2025 draft gets him a +/- $500k not guaranteed contract.

His inabilities (weaknesses) will likely be unchanged between 2023 and 2024.

His strengths have a possibility/probability of some improvement.

(He also runs a risk of being the only NCAA player in history to have earned 3 rings. So there is that.)
He is a great college player but a very marginal NBA prospect.

Frankly I was always under the assumption he would return . He would be a rock on a somewhat new team . Getting Diarra , SJ along with Stewart , Ball back plus Karaban is huge . You go from a rebuild to filling in the missing pieces. For the casual fan the former is a lot harder to do than the latter.
I was a little surprised that he might be drafted so this must be a weak draft .
Yes he is not the greatest athlete to come down the pike but I was impressed with his strength , a factor that could overcome some of his negatives.

Reaction Score
I would have to think AK and DH have a good idea what the outcome is going to be.

To me, that UConn has yet to fill his spot (with the additional scholarship) means he hasn't made the decision to leave. And his situation is rather clear cut (other than perhaps a team offering to fully guarantee his second-round selection).

AK is AK. The facts are going to be the same in 2024, 2025, or even 2026. It is just a matter of when he decides to leave.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Inside source - he wants to go, but it remains up in the air. If he’s projected high second, he’s gone. You can still get plenty of guaranteed dollars in early second, negotiated. I can’t blame him. I’d say 75-25 he’s gone. If he bombs at the combine and drops into the second half of round 2, maybe he considers it.

Don't know your source, and maybe things have changed, but last week Hurley seemed pretty adamant that Alex would return without a 1st round grade.

Reaction Score
Celtics pick at #30 unless they trade up. Is there a need or interest in AK? Stevens has been to a number of UConn games this year. AK would bolt if he knew the Celts were committed to him at #30. If the advice Danny is hearing is second round and non-guaranteed money. Unless it was OKC or Timberwolves. I think AK comes back for another year.

Reaction Score
No one ever seems to mention that just about all his bros either have, or are leaving. Simple, but I'm 100% that's bouncing around his head. If the NBA's his dream, no time like the present.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom