A'ja Wilson Surprised Herself at U-19s

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by UConnCat, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Tonyc

Tonyc Optimus Prime

Its really simple. UConn offers everything, EVERY THING. No other team in the country can compete with what UConn offers. Now if a kid wants it, she comes and if something else is more important to her she doesn't come. Wilson likes UConns 3 amigos. That will help. I'm sure they've talked about UConn and I'm sure Geno already knows what she's thinking and considering. If she comes to the Big Night I like our chances.

2. UCONNfan1

UCONNfan1

No sorry. Did not mean to imply. Also not sure of her actual relationship with Turner given UCONN recruited her but something happened and the recruiting stopped. But given that ND is a great school and Muffet is a really good coach, I could see mutual interest there too. Would make a lot more sense than Tennessee.

3. Icebear

Icebear Andlig Ledare

There is no indication those are priorities for A'Ja.

4. UcMiami

UcMiami How it is

I am pretty sure they were not part of trials and don't believe Russell was either - suspect they may have declined because of other commitments - the initial trials were before the end of most high school academic years, so they might have had exam issues or not been able to get time out of classes. That was one reason this was A'ja's first trial - every other USA team she might have been asked to try out for had conflicts with her school. As for other college Freshman - many were too old.

5. Ozzie Nelson

Ozzie Nelson ImPoster

I am always amazed at how posters can talk regarding stuff they know nothing, about, in terms of recruiting.

6. pap49cba

pap49cba The Supreme Linkster

Since the DD soap opera I've basically fallen into the John A. camp: When they commit I'll get excited. Trying to predict what these young girls are going to do is like trying to pick winning lottery numbers.

7. Geno-ista

Geno-ista Embracing the New Look!!!

No argument from me- we just can't get inside her head to know. The distance away from home is probably the biggest factor we battle. She seams like a more "grounded" person than Diamond also-IMO.

HGN and reno tony like this.
  8. Geno-ista

DD- i was referencing the team as the pond vs the conference. But that is an excellent point. I think it will be the distance to UC vs other issues that will be her decision.

9. Geno-ista

I didnt c that quote- i love Morgan Tuck even more now!

10. alexrgct

alexrgct Wise Guy

Indeed, recruiting is highly speculative when it comes to top high school players.

What we do know:

-Geno is the best coach in WBB by a country mile, and arguably the best coach ever. His assistant coaching staff is also top notch. There is no reason to believe anyone is going anywhere by 2018, so any 2014 recruit gets them for the full four years. Uconn also has a grand tradition of winning games, making Final Fours, and winning NCs. The tradition is basically unparalleled...except by Tennessee, who's a far cry from 2008. In short, if you want to win and you want to be developed by a tremendous coaching staff, alongside a team of other stellar (and potentially transcendent) players, Uconn is the place. I believe firmly these should be priorities, as well as the television exposure, the opportunity for international competition, etc., and the decision seems like a no-brainer for an elite player.

-First night is historically a special night for recruiting, so a recruit choosing to attend is a positive.

-A lot of kids like to stay local. However, Uconn also has a ton of success recruiting outside of New England and New York State, including kids as remote as Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, California, and Texas.

-The fact that A'Ja is happy with her experience playing with so many Uconn kids doesn't necessarily entail anything. But it is pretty heart-warming to the Uconn fanbase.

-Ultimately, we don't know what A'ja will do, and we can't encourage her in our capacity as boosters. All we can do is hope. She has a chance to make the most important decision of her young life. If she comes to Uconn, I'm confident she'd make the most of that opportunity.

CaliHuskyFan, Geno-ista, HGN and 2 others like this.
  11. doggydaddy

doggydaddy Grampysorus Rex

I usually don't get involved in the recruiting threads and discussions. I just wait for the verbal and celebrate.

But the Wilson recruitment is very important for UConn. Add her to Ekmark, Williams and Edwards and you have the #1 class. Geno will probably take 1-2 more with some great players on his list. The class then becomes as good as any they've had.

It's important to show future classes that the new conference will not impact recruiting.

Geno-ista and Icebear like this.
  12. 01Neaggrad02

01Neaggrad02

Where do you come up with this stuff? Seriously, it makes little to no sense. The year that A'ja would join UCONN if she were to commit would find the roster with 7 players. KML, Banks, and Stokes would be seniors. Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck juniors, and Chong a sophomore. There is plenty of room for A'ja. For a year she could play as Stewart's backup or.... right along side of her.

13. reno tony

reno tony

I think you would agree if Wilson went to most other programs that she would likely get more playing time her freshman year. That is assuming she is as good as everyone thinks. I don't know of any player worth a scholarship that doesn't want to play immediately, but UCONN might not be the easiest place to break into the lineup. On the upside, Geno will certainly play anyone that earns time regardless of their.

14. doggydaddy

doggydaddy Grampysorus Rex

She would be part of the rotation getting plenty of minutes her freshman year. If she needs to start, Uconn might not be for her.

15. reno tony

reno tony

I hope so. But first we must get her in a UCONN uniform. But it is fun talking about it.

DaddyChoc likes this.
  16. baggerbob

baggerbob

She wants to play the game like Stewie, where better to learn then with Stewie, and from Geno, and CD. Her father had to be impressed with the UConn teammates, and I'm sure he will have some influence on what she does.

17. Tonyc

Tonyc Optimus Prime

Just something to think about. There was a tweet on the ESPN board a few months ago where Turners dad said after that point guard committed to UCLA. He wished her good luck and tweeted I guess Bri will be playing with Mojeff again????? Now perhaps Wilson quietly has said she wants to come to UConn and that's why Turner went to ND. Too much competition in the post at UConn??? Just a thought and I have no inside information on that. Just my hunch.

18. DaddyChoc

DaddyChoc His Chockishness

"nothing indicates that" like we know every dang conversation these players have. We thought we had Diamond in the bag with KML dangling all over her etc.... now we're saying everything indicated that she wasnt coming, she wants to call the shots etc. :rolleyes:

hopefully UConn lands Wilson cause I dont want to hear "I knew she wasnt leaving home blah blah blah"

19. DaddyChoc

DaddyChoc His Chockishness

they won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP... unlike all the others!

reno tony likes this.
  20. blakeon18

blakeon18 Dormie

Do we know for sure when First Night is being held???

Web Hosting Service by Host Duplex