AJ - point guard | The Boneyard

AJ - point guard

Reaction Score
After watching him today it looks like his best position is point guard. Very good defense, athletic, sees the court well, can handle and what I liked best is the few possessions he was at the point he got the offense going early. Looks to me that he has a point guards mentality.

Reaction Score
He initiated the offense in high school and always had the ball in his hands to make plays. I believe he can do that at this level without specifically being the 'point guard'. To be the guy in the last 2 minutes of the game protecting a lead, he hasn't shown yet he is the guy you want to get fouled shooting over 80% from the line. I've seen him take the ball end to end, make half court behind the back passes to 3 point spot up shooters, and throw full court lead passes off of rebounds. As our 3rd point guard behind Cole and Gaff, I think he is better than Adams and will be used in that role as often as Adams has been called on to do it, (Charleston tourney last year). He can play point just like Bouk can play point, but likely there are other ways to use him. Him being used at point was discussed even way back in his recruitment because of his skills.

Reaction Score
He has by far the best vision on the team, and while it's not saying much he is the best passer by a wide margin as well. Not sure he'll ever be a point guard but we certainly need to get him in more playmaking situations.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
I’m not opposed to it...maybe in a game when we’re up big or against a team with length. Wouldn't mind seeing what he can do. His first step and vision are definitely upgrades from Cole.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if the light switched on for Gaffney, but he looked like our 'point guard'. Sure he has a lot to learn, but he was distributing, had good handles and when he decided the team needed some points he took charge. AJ could have just not have one of his good games, but Gaffney showed some positive development today. If he continues then the two will switch, of course depending on Hurley's affinity to Cole. Cole has always to me looked like a combo or even a scoring guard who can't finish well at the rim.

Gaffney also has the added quality of being an excellent foul shooter. Needs more coaching, but we've got something real in him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jackson is just the shiny new object. It certainly was nice to see him play. And play well. But he's not ready to take over. Being a smart basketball who makes good plays doesn't necessarily equal pg. It just means we have another dude on the floor who plays good basketball.

The offense is not going to run through Jackson this year. If the reports are accurate, Bouk will be back soon and the offense is going to run through him.

Maybe Jackson is the guy next year. With all the likely departures, he will have lots of opportunity.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
AJ is not a point guard. He is a point forward. Huge difference for those who care about semantics. Reality is, yes, the offense can be run through him as primary ball handler and ball distributor for extended periods.

Reaction Score
He has by far the best vision on the team, and while it's not saying much he is the best passer by a wide margin as well. Not sure he'll ever be a point guard but we certainly need to get him in more playmaking situations.
I think that's a good take. He can play the 2 guard and still help facilitate the offense. Although he's going to have to shoot it well to play that role. He did hit a three today, so that was nice to see. I wouldn't want him being the straight up starting PG.

Reaction Score
AJ is not a point guard. He is a point forward. Huge difference for those who care about semantics. Reality is, yes, the offense can be run through him as primary ball handler and ball distributor for extended periods.

I love point forward players...has it ever been announced in the starting line up before a game though? “Starting at Point Forward from New York, number 44..” I’ve never heard it lol

Reaction Score
Yes, he's a point forward. My best comp for the talents he brings is Ginobili. You could put Ginobili at point guard, shooting guard, and forward and all he does is make plays for you with his vision, passing, intangibles, and athleticism. Jackson is going to be the same way.

Reaction Score

Point guard or point forward, doesn't matter, he can handle, see the court and pass. Polleys only open looks were off of AJ passes. No other player makes those passes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
After watching him today it looks like his best position is point guard. Very good defense, athletic, sees the court well, can handle and what I liked best is the few possessions he was at the point he got the offense going early. Looks to me that he has a point guards mentality.

In the NBA, yes, possibly. Here he’s a point forward, a facilitator. He’s not a good enough ball handler yet to handle those duties in college. I do think he will make us much better at both ends of the court. I have said that all year. Some guys, you don’t even notice them, they aren’t impact players. Jackson is noticeable and impacts the game at both ends.

Reaction Score
Now he's a guard or a forward - without the point. He's gonna have to work a lot on his handle.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind another great point forward

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Because some fans don't know much. He's a point forward and will most likely play point guard at the next level.

Yep. That’s what I said too. People don’t pay attention. Freaking 6’9 Ben Simmons played PG. Magic obviously. Lebron more or less does as well, depending on the rest of his roster. But in college he would deal with little PGs he likely rarely sees in the NBA. So no, not his role here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom