ADB on Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ADB on Ollie

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
At this point part of me is like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe giving him one more year so we can get Akinjo in the door and avoid a mass exodus at the same time Adams and Larrier are most likely leaving isn't the worst thing. It's not like we are going to change conferences by next season. Worst case scenario we suck again. We have dealt with 4 years of mediocre results is what is one more at this point? It is not going to kill the program.

The other part of me recognizes UConn basketball is dead and we will never finish above 8th place in the American again.

I can’t see what Adams and Larrier have done up to this point that screams they are leaving. If they are getting advice to go then it’s bad advice because they are no where NBA ready and maybe not even Mid European ready.

Reaction Score
Which incoming players are asking out?

Do you have anything to back this up, or is this just your wish?
He is talking about track record, not rumors for the current team or crop of recruits. Ollie lost three returning players and MAL (incoming player) over the summer. Again, these people QUIT on him and/or rejected him. He didn't "press" any "reset" button. It was pressed for him, because of him. He labeled those guys as players that "didn't want to be here" but the truth was probably closer to them "not wanting him to be their coach". Since this just happened, it is more like to keep happening than not. It is possible that Ollie loses no one this summer but that is not what a reasonable person assumes will happen. There is inertia here and it isn't good inertia. If the boosters want Ollie back, we will see what happens. We have no choice. If more kids/recruits quit on him, that is almost worst than the dreadful on-court performance. If such a scenario plays out, you can't keep giving the guy "one more year" to fix the messes he is creating. Eventually the buy out will be manageable and/or the boosters will give up on Ollie.

Reaction Score
I can’t see what Adams and Larrier have done up to this point that screams they are leaving. If they are getting advice to go then it’s bad advice because they are no where NBA ready and maybe not even Mid European ready.
That hasn't stopped players in the past. I'm not sure Daniels or Hamilton made good decisions but they still left. Hamilton seems to be making out OK but I am not sure one more year wouldn't have helped him. Point is, players sometimes leave even when it doesn't seem to make sense.

Reaction Score
It was made pretty clear before the season started that Larrier was only here for this season.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Both have indicated their intentions were to leave after this season. Is that actually going to happen? IDK. Would either get drafted? Not in the first round. Is it the right decision? IDK. Look at the success DHam and Purvis have had in the G League. Maybe both those guys are better off trying testing their skills in the G League than one more year under Ollie.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Pretty sure he was referring to last year when UConn lost top recruit and three players transferred with Ollie staying.

No, he was saying that we would lose incoming guys if Ollie stayed for ‘18-19. If he has inside info, I’d like for him to share it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

In their own minds they’re ready, and that’s what determines the outcome.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, he was saying that we would lose incoming guys if Ollie stayed for ‘18-19. If he has inside info, I’d like for him to share it.
Didn't read it that way either.

Reaction Score
The fact that the Ollie apologist crowd is worried about losing incoming recruits and players is comical. You do realize that Ollie added 8 new players to the current team (more than 60% of the roster) and most were thrown together last minute, right?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

They'd both find homes in the G-League, where they'd receive far better coaching, against better competition, and be able to focus 24/7 on their games.

Reaction Score
And like the donors Im an Ollie supporter. Sorry.
Many donors are not Ollie supporters and the UConn Foundation and AD David Benedict are very much aware of that.

Reaction Score
The fact that the Ollie apologist crowd is worried about losing incoming recruits and players is comical. You do realize that Ollie added 8 new players to the current team (more than 60% of the roster) and most were thrown together last minute, right?

And how, may I ask, is that working out?

Reaction Score
Where to begin...

Do you think the AD is currently doing well enough financially for that? Furthermore, do you think it will see the requisite financial success in the future? How will we compare to programs in P5 conferences whose content is being bought for a much higher value than those in the AAC?

We are a basketball school first and foremost, everyone knows that - even the AD from the football background. We aren't going to skimp on men's hoops salaries.

Not to mention, at some point when Geno is gone, so is his 2.5 million salary which we can skoot at least a healthy chunk of that over into the men's hoops program. Not to mention, it's possible in 5 years we will make a decision to cut bait on football if the dominos don't fall the right way, saving even more money that way, along with cutting some other sports on the women's side if we aren't giving football schollies (at least I think thats what would happen, but someone feel free to correct me).

At some point when Ollie is gone, his replacement will make a good salary, whether it be now or 5-10 years from now. If we continue to suck under another coach, it won't be because of salary.

Reaction Score
If you think 5'11" James Akinjo will save Ollie's program then I want what you're having.
It was a 5'11", non-athletic looking guard that led us to our first national championship, Khalid El Amin. It's not his stature, but ability to run the team and be a leader that will matter most. I have no idea if he's that kind of player but let's not write him off already.

Reaction Score
I do think frequently to myself (at times) that there's some guys who might be pretty good and if they can return a lot of this team next year, they might have a shot to contend in the conference. But again and I feel like I say this every year, but it's a roster of what ifs and too many what ifs for me to feel confident in projecting out success.

IF Adams stays
IF Larrier stays
IF Gilbert gets healthy
IF Vital, Whalley, Diarra and Carleton can continue to develop
IF the freshmen are a little better than we expected
IF Sid Wilson can be good as advertised

They still lack REAL size down low. The front court is so raw at this point. Having a dedicated PG (TWO!) will actually help, but Gilbert hasn't shown that he's at all capable of staying healthy. Larrier could be an interesting late-bloomer, but I haven't seen anything more form him than that he is what he is. Adams is a good player and can flat out score. He should score even more... but he's not a knock down shooter. Doesn't seem to really be a leader. And honestly I dunno... I don't think he's anywhere close to being ready to be a pro, but i'm not sure how much college ball is in his future as he just *comes off as* (not saying he actually is) disinterested all the time.

And after that you just need soooo many dominos to fall.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He is talking about track record, not rumors for the current team or crop of recruits. Ollie lost three returning players and MAL (incoming player) over the summer. Again, these people QUIT on him and/or rejected him. He didn't "press" any "reset" button. It was pressed for him, because of him. He labeled those guys as players that "didn't want to be here" but the truth was probably closer to them "not wanting him to be their coach". Since this just happened, it is more like to keep happening than not. It is possible that Ollie loses no one this summer but that is not what a reasonable person assumes will happen. There is inertia here and it isn't good inertia. If the boosters want Ollie back, we will see what happens. We have no choice. If more kids/recruits quit on him, that is almost worst than the dreadful on-court performance. If such a scenario plays out, you can't keep giving the guy "one more year" to fix the messes he is creating. Eventually the buy out will be manageable and/or the boosters will give up on Ollie.

Lots of unproven speculation
Perhaps they didn't like what he said to them about competing for PT the following season - thus he's not the coach for them
Those three guys have been tossed and turned on this site way too much - they wanted out so good riddance
NEXT............................ again

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom