ADB on Ollie | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ADB on Ollie

Reaction Score
Anyone surprised that the donors don't feel like cashing out KO after the extension was made? Sure there is probably some actual support in the room for KO, but if things go south from here his performance won't be the main deciding factor. Just like Steve Bannon it's who pays the bills.

If the right guy is out there at the end of a disastrous season, you'd love to take advantage of that. But DB might not be in a position to do anything other than plant the seed for next year with donors. There comes a point when you can't live on excuses anymore but Ollie's contract may buy him another year to show some results. My mind is just slightly open to see what he could do with 1 or 2 decent shooters and an improved Carlton. He hasn't had any answers with the group he has, but he at least needs to show some resiliency to finish this year or the confidence needle drops to zero.
Comes a time when the donors have to start questioning if the people making the decisions know what they're doing. To fire Diaco right after giving him an extension was crazy. To expect that well to be tapped into again is lunacy. I just hope they're learning from their mistakes.

Reaction Score
I can’t see what Adams and Larrier have done up to this point that screams they are leaving. If they are getting advice to go then it’s bad advice because they are no where NBA ready and maybe not even Mid European ready.
I'd prefer if 1 of them bounced. The chemistry between those two is off.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Comes a time when the donors have to start questioning if the people making the decisions know what they're doing. To fire Diaco right after giving him an extension was crazy.

Giving him the extension was crazy, firing him was mandatory.

Reaction Score
Giving him the extension was crazy, firing him was mandatory.
I agree. But how many times can you go to the donors hat in hand and ask them to fix your mistakes with their money?

I'm hoping KO turns it around. Getting your ish pushed in on national TV against Auburn and Arkansas has been demoralizing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree. But how many times can you go to the donors hat in hand and ask them to fix your mistakes with their money?
I'm hoping KO turns it around.

I agree there, KO turning around is our only hope.

Reaction Score
At this point part of me is like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe giving him one more year so we can get Akinjo in the door and avoid a mass exodus at the same time Adams and Larrier are most likely leaving isn't the worst thing. It's not like we are going to change conferences by next season. Worst case scenario we suck again. We have dealt with 4 years of mediocre results is what is one more at this point? It is not going to kill the program.

The other part of me recognizes UConn basketball is dead and we will never finish above 8th place in the American again.
If it were just another year of sucking I would be on board possibly. My concern is someone like Danny Hurley who would likely be available now and willing to make move, might not be available or willing should this collapse of relevancy extend this another year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We can't rely on donors to come to the rescue becuase of overpaid coaches failing too soon.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
If it were just another year of sucking I would be on board possibly. My concern is someone like Danny Hurley who would likely be available now and willing thanks make move might not be available or willing should this collapse of relevancy extend this another year.

If Benedict decided that Hurley is the man he wants for the job and this is his one chance to get him, then by all means he should make his move. That is what he was hired to do. However, if something like this were to happen I feel there are some things that UConn fans will need to accept.

The first is that, based on the current conference situation if we hire someone outside the Calhoun family the UConn job might be seen as a stepping stone. The good thing about a successful Ollie is that we wouldn't have to worry about him going to another school. If Hurley came here and succeeded in turning the program around he might move on to the next big thing. I am not saying this would be a certainty or even the worst thing in the world, just that there would likely be rumors at the end of each season and we couldn't brush them off as easily.

The second is that if Ollie's replacement is a dud we are likely in an even worse situation than we are now. If (God forbid) Geno were to retire in the next couple years, what would our athletic program have to hang its hat on, and why would any decent conference have incentive to add us?

I am really not trying to argue that Ollie deserves another year. I just hope that if things move a little slower than some people would like we should consider that it might be better for the program in the long run.

Reaction Score
If Benedict decided that Hurley is the man he wants for the job and this is his one chance to get him, then by all means he should make his move. That is what he was hired to do. However, if something like this were to happen I feel there are some things that UConn fans will need to accept.

The first is that, based on the current conference situation if we hire someone outside the Calhoun family the UConn job might be seen as a stepping stone. The good thing about a successful Ollie is that we wouldn't have to worry about him going to another school. If Hurley came here and succeeded in turning the program around he might move on to the next big thing. I am not saying this would be a certainty or even the worst thing in the world, just that there would likely be rumors at the end of each season and we couldn't brush them off as easily.

The second is that if Ollie's replacement is a dud we are likely in an even worse situation than we are now. If (God forbid) Geno were to retire in the next couple years, what would our athletic program have to hang its hat on, and why would any decent conference have incentive to add us?

I am really not trying to argue that Ollie deserves another year. I just hope that if things move a little slower than some people would like we should consider that it might be better for the program in the long run.

More simply, UConn would be best off if Ollie can figure it out. The question is whether one believes that can happen. Let's just hope they continue to play like last night; they could make some noise down the stretch if they build off this UCF game.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I can’t see what Adams and Larrier have done up to this point that screams they are leaving. If they are getting advice to go then it’s bad advice because they are no where NBA ready and maybe not even Mid European ready.
But realistically, why stay in school if your goal is to play pro ball? Will another year at UConn not getting paid be better for development or getting paid to play vs better opponents with better teammates and better coaching?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom