Adams | The Boneyard

Adams

Reaction Score
The past 3 games have showed me how much one player (Adams) can have an impact on the game. Without Adams today this would have been another Houston game (probably not as bad of a blowout).

Its the points, handle, assists, rebounds, leadership, and confidence that he brings to the team.

This is why I am hoping that we can get Hamidou to play this year. He won't have the same impact as Adams but he will make the team significantly better.

Reaction Score
Anyone who is bashing Adams this game (other thread) is an absolute moron. Kid was a warrior today, tried carrying us to victory but just ran out of gas. If he had ANY help today, we win easy. Some guy saying he can't hit big shots in the other thread........really?? He was friggin gassed, he hadn't practiced since getting a concussion and played the whole damn game!! The one time KO took the ball out of his hands (still can't figure out that genius move), a deer-in-the-headlights Vital threw the worst pass this side of Brian Fair v Georgetown. We have three dreadful seniors who are forced to play major minutes and that takes away from Jalen. If we're lucky enough to have him for another year or two he will be the next UConn stud, no question. In the meantime, we pray for no further injury.

Reaction Score
The only good thing to come from this abortion of a season is that Adams has grown so much and he will be the alpha on next year's team. If MAL can come in and be a solid contributor then we'll have 3 guys that can legit handle the ball next year and Vital can be a luxury as a 4th PG. Larrier better be ready to play a lot of time at the 4. I don't really want to talk about the 5...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My biggest concern is after the foul in regulation a Bazz or Boat or KEA would have come out in overtime and shown up the refs. Jalen loses his poise when things start falling apart. Hopefully junior year this changes.

Of course the entire team lacks poise or confidence or the dagger instinct so this is not just Jalen. Might be something KO needs to think about when recruiting players because I think there is more talent than being demonstrated.

Reaction Score

Jalen has grown and improved a lot this year, and he's still learning. Today he learned that as the alpha dog in a late game situation with the game on he line he needs to go get the ball and not wait for it to get to him.

All these learning experiences will be key next year. The hard work in the field is dirty and not pretty, but through the sweat, blood, and perseverance we will reap a sweet reward come harvest time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Jalen has grown and improved a lot this year, and he's still learning. Today he learned that as the alpha dog in a late game situation with the game on he line he needs to go get the ball and not wait for it to get to him.

All these learning experiences will be key next year. The hard work in the field is dirty and not pretty, but through the sweat, blood, and perseverance we will reap a sweet reward come harvest time.

Jalen was also exhausted. You don't always make the right/easy decision in that state. Not an excuse, just an explanation

C

Chief00

im hoping maybe chief or some can tell me if Ollie gets credit for Adams' growth? Or is he a Calhoun guy?
Thanks - I will take that. KO works well with guards - Adams played well today - given how ineffective some of the others are offensively.
Quite frankly, he needs to take on even more of the burden. Brimah's foul shooting has gone backwards - Purvis is very inconsistent.

C

Chief00

Jalen was also exhausted. You don't always make the right/easy decision in that state. Not an excuse, just an explanation
Agree with the observation he needs to own the ball at that time.

Reaction Score
Love Jalen, bu the turns it over way too much as a PG and he has to work on his left hand. He has the makings of the next great one, we'll know if he works and turns those flaws into strengths.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Love Jalen, bu the turns it over way too much as a PG and he has to work on his left hand. He has the makings of the next great one, we'll know if he works and turns those flaws into strengths.
two of the turnovers from the last game standout were the bad passes into bigs who were out of position... other than that it's when no one comes to help him get the ball or dribble it up and he has to make a play... Kemba had lamb, bazz, and bev. Bazz had boat, samuel, and kromah. Boat had maybe samuel. Adams has... purvis at times? Vital is a good handler but he is still learning and hasnt experienced pressure. People are underestimating how much of a blow having gilbert out is. next year if Adams stays, we'll have Adams, Gilbert, and MAL as primary ball handlers. Even Larrier would be able to handle the ball

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Our bigmen suck but we have a chance to be really good next year because guards rule in college ball and Jalen should be unstoppable.
I can't wait. I am not about to compare him against other UConn floor generals, but you have to admit, this kid is real special. He has been running since he got here.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
My biggest concern is after the foul in regulation a Bazz or Boat or KEA would have come out in overtime and shown up the refs. Jalen loses his poise when things start falling apart. Hopefully junior year this changes.

Of course the entire team lacks poise or confidence or the dagger instinct so this is not just Jalen. Might be something KO needs to think about when recruiting players because I think there is more talent than being demonstrated.
Good thread. Jalen stepping up. Calhoun's rep with the NBA scouts was that UConn produced "NBA ready players". That implies both talent and toughness (no quit, grittiness). Some were pretty tough when they were recruited (sayLyman Depriest, Boat) and others he developed into tough. One thing for sure was you heard about it if you lacked it. I agree that the character test includes this or the potential to be this. I think Vital will show this in the coming years as he has for the most part already.
KO still a young and very talented coach who has demonstrated that toughness himself in college and the pros. He needs to seek it and demand it from his recruits as well.

Reaction Score
I think he could be a national player of the year contender next year if he continues to improve the way he has been. And I'd be shocked if he's here for his senior year.

I'm still a little worried he'll bolt this year, if bet he'd be a late second rounder. But he's best pushing for a first round pick after next year, but we've had guys in the same position that left before...

Reaction Score
I think he could be a national player of the year contender next year if he continues to improve the way he has been. And I'd be shocked if he's here for his senior year.

I'm still a little worried he'll bolt this year, if bet he'd be a late second rounder. But he's best pushing for a first round pick after next year, but we've had guys in the same position that left before...

I could be reading him wrong, but Adams seems to enjoy playing for his college team.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I would not take the ball out of Adams hands even it Gilbert returns. Adams has a real shot at an NBA career if he continues to improve.

Reaction Score
I could be reading him wrong, but Adams seems to enjoy playing for his college team.
I think so too. I don't think leaving this year helps him at all, and I think he came here to try to recreate the Husky PG magic in March. And next year would be his prime chance to do that.

Granted, it would have been nice if AG got a year of playing time under his belt instead of another shoulder surgery.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's also old for a sophomore. That might factor into his decision.
On the flip side, this draft is STACKED with PG talent. He'd need to put up 20/6/6 on 50/40/90 splits and lead us to the second weekend of the tourney in order to sniff the lottery this season.

Next season, though, he has a chance to be the first PG off the board.

Reaction Score

That's not fair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom