AD Benedict on WTIC | The Boneyard

AD Benedict on WTIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Well, not often that I bring useful info so I have to maximize the opportunity.

AD David Benedict was on Joe D & Gresh yesterday for a great interview.

Not sure who else heard, but I really like this guy and how he's approaching football (and all athletics).

A few notes:
- he's looking at the gameday experience, including keeping interest on the game rather than an announcer with a 30 second monologue.
- he understands the desire for improvements in parking and the ability to get into the game through the turnstiles.
- he has heard loud and clear about concession prices and has work to do there.
- !!!! Planning an open practice for the fans!!!! Not a spring game-type-affair but a chance to see the guys work. Sounds like August 13th but watch for it.
- CR is about the program and investment by the university and community. They will work on facilities for baseball and soccer now to build up the attractiveness of all the products.
- Dominate the conference we are in and beat the P5 programs we play. That is how to get out of lower tier. P5 conferences want teams that are assets to contribute to the conference playing in the playoff. TCU was a program that was beating the BCS schools for years which made them attractive.

There was more to it but this was some high points.

If anyone can find and post a replay, was a good listen.

Reaction Score
Yeah, heard part of it yesterday. He also said he' contracted a group to help sell tickets in addition to the UConn ticket office. He plans on entering PAWS ARF with a ticket for the Maine game and check out the concessions himself. He said he's working on reducing the wait time to enter the stadium (yes, please!) and making it easier to park with your friends. All sounds good to me, we'll see if anything changes.

Did he say anything about kids tickets? I would love to buy individual game tickets for my kids but not if I have to pay full price. Pretty sure Rutgers has 1 game a year where kids under 12 get in free.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He also said he was looking forward to attending his first UConn hockey match.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Concession prices? Really people? This is indicative of why the UConn endowment is so low....yankee cheapness. Every dollar you spend on tickets, food, gear and anything else is really a donation to the cause - the UConn cause. That is how other fan bases approach it, especially the big time P5 programs south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Reaction Score
Concession prices? Really people? This is indicative of why the UConn endowment is so low....yankee cheapness. Every dollar you spend on tickets, food, gear and anything else is really a donation to the cause - the UConn cause. That is how other fan bases approach it, especially the big time P5 programs south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Actually every dollar you spend on concessions goes directly to the management company dujour of the stadium, UConn and the athletic department sees none of it.

EDIT: this was taken from an old article, "UConn has a lease agreement that allows the UConn the right to use the facility for home football games, or any other event, with a minimum of 10 events per year. UConn makes payments to the state Office of Policy and Management for use of the stadium. It pays $170,000 per game, which doesn't include state revenues for parking and concessions."

EDIT EDIT: Link to article, Rentschler Field Operating At A Loss, Highlights Need For More Events

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually every dollar you spend on concessions goes directly to the management company dujour of the stadium, UConn and the athletic department sees none of it.
that just cant be true - can it? could we really have negotiated a deal where weget zero, zip, nada? if so, we belong in G5

Reaction Score
that just cant be true - can it? could we really have negotiated a deal where weget zero, zip, nada? if so, we belong in G5
I edited the post to include a quote.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear about the possibility of an open practice. I remember there being 3 or so during the Edsall era, but then they stopped. I hope it happens.

Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn pays rent at both the XL Center and Rentschler Field. They do not get more than a nominal, if any, cut of concessions or parking.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

EDIT: this was taken from an old article, "UConn has a lease agreement that allows the UConn the right to use the facility for home football games, or any other event, with a minimum of 10 events per year. UConn makes payments to the state Office of Policy and Management for use of the stadium. It pays $170,000 per game, which doesn't include state revenues for parking and concessions."

EDIT EDIT: Link to article, Rentschler Field Operating At A Loss, Highlights Need For More Events

This doesn't change my point that complaining about concession prices - which are hardly exorbitant, is just petty and trivial. No one is making a killing on those concessions, if there was real money, they wouldn't give it away to the non profits.

Reaction Score
This doesn't change my point that complaining about concession prices - which are hardly exorbitant, is just petty and trivial. No one is making a killing on those concessions, if there was real money, they wouldn't give it away to the non profits.

I thought your point was that people are complaining about concession prices when every thing goes toward the cause, because that's what you said, I was only clarifying that not every dollar goes to UConn.

But think of it another way; if concession prices were a little better maybe, just maybe we could grab a few of those people that feel they must milk every second out of the tailgate experience and get them in the game on time. Because the whole entering the stadium issue is more predicated on too many people waiting until the last moment to go in then the actual procedure of going through the gate.

Reaction Score
Apparently the income from concessions and parking may not be as big as you think. tOSU numbers show a surprising low (to me) income from parking and concessions (2014 numbers)

campus_revenue1.jpg

http://thelantern.com/2014/09/each-ohio-state-football-gameday-brings-in-about-7-15m/
Each Ohio State football gameday brings in about $7.15M

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn pays rent at both the XL Center and Rentschler Field. They do not get more than a nominal, if any, cut of concessions or parking.
I think I remember the terms changing for the new XL deal, where on a go forward basis there is no rent and instead a split of the gate. I'm not sure if it will be in effect this year or if I am even remembering it correctly.

Reaction Score
So 7 home games means $2.6 million from concessions and $1.8 in parking for a total of $4,490,000. Nice change.

Don't forget their crowds are 2 1/2 times bigger.

APA

Reaction Score
More like 4 times larger. 105,000 v. 25-26,000. The Rent hasn't seen 40K in a long time.

Reaction Score
It must have been Hathaway's doing!!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought your point was that people are complaining about concession prices when every thing goes toward the cause, because that's what you said, I was only clarifying that not every dollar goes to UConn.

But think of it another way; if concession prices were a little better maybe, just maybe we could grab a few of those people that feel they must milk every second out of the tailgate experience and get them in the game on time. Because the whole entering the stadium issue is more predicated on too many people waiting until the last moment to go in then the actual procedure of going through the gate.

My point remains, its too bad so many alumni and fans in general view the tickets, food and parking costs as some sort of a value tug of war whereby they are getting screwed. In the big picture, the more we all support the stadium (even its food vendors) and the university, the better off the institution that is UConn will be. And no, I don't hold this same view attending my pro teams. None of those organizations need more of my money whether directly or indirectly. UConn however needs all the support it can get including more people to buy hot dogs.

And yes, a discounted hot dog prior to kick off might be effective to bring more into the stadium early. But overall, I dont believe concession prices move the needle one iota on anyone's decision to attend a game. Nobody says yes to spending 3 hrs at a stadium because the hot dog is $2 rather than $4.

Reaction Score
Yeah, heard part of it yesterday. He also said he' contracted a group to help sell tickets in addition to the UConn ticket office. He plans on entering PAWS ARF with a ticket for the Maine game and check out the concessions himself. He said he's working on reducing the wait time to enter the stadium (yes, please!) and making it easier to park with your friends. All sounds good to me, we'll see if anything changes.

Did he say anything about kids tickets? I would love to buy individual game tickets for my kids but not if I have to pay full price. Pretty sure Rutgers has 1 game a year where kids under 12 get in free.
All good stuff here but I have never had a problem getting into the stadium. I am at the gate 30 minutes before kick about the same time as the band enters the stadium and have never a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom