ACC Regular Season 2023-24 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

ACC Regular Season 2023-24

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Boston College led almost the entire game in beating North Carolina, 78-74, ending its 11-game losing streak.

Bad loss for UNC.
Laughing 3.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wow - ND beats Virginia Tech by 13............I could see a win, but didn't expect it by double digits!
ND matches up well with Va. Tech...this is their 3rd win a row. Westbeld, who is very strong, and Kylee Watson, who is 6'4" and pretty rugged, too, take on Kitley and don't let her get to her favorite places. ND alternated guards on Amoore and in the 4th quarter put Citron on her, which helped a lot. Amoore scored 20, but took 24 shots and only had 2 assists.

On offense, Hidalgo and Westbeld were the first half and Citron scored all 21 of her points in the second, often on the end of HH passes like this one:

Reaction Score
State held off the Cuse in OT. Fair was fantastic early on, finished 6-13 from 3 and Syracuse rebounded extremely well (52-40 advantage!). A massive 3 from Saniya Rivers with just a tick over a minute remaining tied the game, the Pack took a 2 point lead on a nice dish from Rivers to Baldwin on State’s final possession of regulation and appeared to have won the game after an airball 3 point attempt and the horn sounding in the rebounding action. However somewhere under the roar of the crowd there was a whistle and after a lengthy review they said State fouled with 0.1 seconds left during the rebound!

Syracuse knocked down both FTs (a girl was 64% on the year no less) and it was OT. No one scored the first 2 minutes of OT. It was back and forth on lead changes for the next minute or so before State pulled away with a big bucket from Madison Hayes and ends up winning 75-71.

State now with 7 wins over top 25 teams this year. And a win against Wake this weekend will lock up 2nd place in the conference.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
ND matches up well with Va. Tech...this is their 3rd win a row. Westbeld, who is very strong, and Kylee Watson, who is 6'4" and pretty rugged, too, take on Kitley and don't let her get to her favorite places. ND alternated guards on Amoore and in the 4th quarter put Citron on her, which helped a lot. Amoore scored 20, but took 24 shots and only had 2 assists.
IYHO, do you think Kitley may have stayed too long? Her stats are pretty consistent from last year, although in playing fewer mins, her PPG is up a lil, and her 3P% has improved from 20 to 40%.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Can you point me to his presser? I can't believe he would say that.

That was just a guess based on him whining after the last two double-figure losses in Durham.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That was a great game to watch to close out the ACC regular season. 80-75 UVA. Hope KItley can get healthy in the next few days.

I think you guys will pull off an upset in the last three games. I just hope it isn't next Thursday. Yall have a good chance on Senior Night in Charlottesville.

Legal Sports betting becomes legal a week from tomorrow. I'm ready :D

@VA Huskie You going to buy me a burger when I visit Charlottesville ?? :cool:

Reaction Score
That was a great game to watch to close out the ACC regular season. 80-75 UVA. Hope KItley can get healthy in the next few days.

@VA Husky You going to buy me a burger when I visit Charlottesville ?? :cool:
Definitely ended my night on a more positive note!

Reaction Score
Duke, Clemson, NCSU and Notre Dame have let me down...Why in the world did they let a mediocre UNC team beat them?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In High School wasn't she one of the top 4-5 recruits in America? She is one of those that never could make the transition from high school all-star to college all-star.

Not sure how highly rated she was out of high school. @Dillon77 I do know she has been plagued with injuries in college. Nice to see her go out like that at home.

Reaction Score
In High School wasn't she one of the top 4-5 recruits in America? She is one of those that never could make the transition from high school all-star to college all-star.
Injuries didn't help her situation.

Reaction Score
At one time she was the #1 ranked recruit.

Reaction Score

@VA Husky You going to buy me a burger when I visit Charlottesville ?? :cool:
I was there and it was an electric atmosphere. And yes, I will absolutely buy you a burger… with a side of Krispy Creams! Sorry for your loss the UNCheat☹️.
At one time she was the #1 ranked recruit.
Yes, I believe #1 in her junior year. Seemed to have an offer, or at least interest, from UConn. But injuries took a huge toll. I think they mentioned at senior night, tonight, that she had 4 leg surgeries. She was very moved at the ceremony - crying openly.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure how highly rated she was out of high school. @Dillon77 I do know she has been plagued with injuries in college. Nice to see her go out like that at home.
As noted, at one point early in her ratings career, she was the #1 recruit. A turning point of sorts in the ratings seemed to come when she made a U.S.A. National Team and was relegated to mop-up duty. The "slip" started then...
1) Haley Jones
2) Jordon Horston
3) Aliyah Boston
4) Zia Cooke
5) Rickea Jackson
6) Sam Brunelle
7) Ashley Owusu.

Sam's best year, individually, at Notre Dame was her freshman year, when she played for the coach who recruited her, Muffet McGraw and MM's modified Princeton offense which took advantage of Sam's catch and shoot abilities. During that season:
  • Sam started in all 31 games, averaging 33.9 minutes.
  • Brunelle led all freshmen in the ACC in scoring with her 13.9 ppg. Among freshmen at power-five schools, Brunelle’s scoring average ranked 6th.
  • Her scoring average ranked 4th all-time at ND for a freshman.
Sophomore year saw injuries and the arrival of Coach Niele Ivey.
  • Sam played in 17 games, averaging 22.8 minutes off the bench.
  • However, she made big shooting improvements: Sam went from shooting 31.5 percent from three as a freshman to 38.3 percent. She also went from 39.7 percent overall to 48.4 percent.
And in 2021-2022, her junior year:
  • Sam played in 32 games and averaged 16.5 minutes off the bench. She averaged 6.8 points, which ranked 6th on the team.
What happened? Well, she was plagued by injuries and the effects those had on conditioning.
Plus:
  • Coach Ivey abandoned the modified Princton offense which could feature Brunelle and went with an offense that largely focused on individual shot creation. While Sam has some interior moves, her specialty is the catch and shoot.
  • Plus she became something of a tweener: 6'2" but not really quick enough to guard wings. But she wasn't a banger in the post, either.
  • And ND had/still has someone who could do all of that: Maddy Westbeld, who has remained a lynchpin of Ivey's program.

All said, Sam was still a contributor off the bench and, from all accounts, a solid team leader and very active as a student in many areas. Perhaps most importantly, she's got an ND undergraduate degree to go with what will now probably be a UVA grad degree. Pretty decent deal. Look forward to see where and what she does next.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom