ACC Network Done Deal? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC Network Done Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Pac's network has been a failure so far...much griping at PAC programs

Oklahoma's Sooner Sports nets $1.5-2 million according to Boren. Expenses eat up a lot.

LHN has cost ESPN money over the years and may be only now starting to break even. ESPN has a long way to go to recover this investment, and may not.

SECN was the only network that was flush right out of the box....even the BGN took a few years to make money.

In uncertain cable times, starting a new network will get a lot of scrutiny.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Fishy...didn't you just quote Swofford from the 2015 meeting? Or was it the 2014?

...and 2013, 2012, 2011. I heard that the ACC has a team of robotic engineers looking into forming their own SwoffBot for future ACC TV meeting pressers. It'll come pre-programmed with a few of Swoffy's classic favorites: "we're moving down the road", "we're fully down the trail", "it takes patience", and "I am confident". SwoffBot is set to launch at a "future date" but well before the ACC Network.

Dooley

Reaction Score
This is why UConn needs to tell Aresco to stuff it.

UConn needs to grab its Tier3 rights back and start a network in state.

Throw 'em on SNY or YES or MSG or NESN or a combination of a few/all of them. And done.

Reaction Score
Throw 'em on SNY or YES or MSG or NESN or a combination of a few/all of them. And done.

I say sign up with ESPN. Let ESPN do the production on football, men's and women's bball. Give them half the money. UConn works with NBC to produce hockey and maybe soccer and pays for the production costs (I'm assuming NBCSN has the Hockey East contract, not sure; it may be NESN).

Reaction Score
Annnnnnddddd.THUD.

We think we’re in a really good position for the long-term,” Swofford told Fischel. “We’ve just got to make the right decisions and time things appropriately.”

“I don’t know that there will be public clarity,” Swofford said of this week. “I think we will move further down the trail of where we’re headed, without question. … We’re really just not going to have a whole lot more to say until we reach a point of saying something definitive. It takes some patience with that, but we’ll get to a good place, I’m confident.”

Translation: "ESPN said no and I am running out of ways to avoid saying that."

If I am ESPN I'm not bending over backwards to create an ACC Network when I could possibly get a Big 12 Network on the cheap in the event UT capitulates over the LHN.

Honestly, I can't see how an ACC Network gets done first unless its clear that the Big 12 plans are dead.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just so Swofbot is a transformer and turns into an ATM...."Ill take our $3 million now, boss. Which button do I push?
I don't think FSU will, if it means a longer or more enforceable GOR.

Reaction Score
I say sign up with ESPN. Let ESPN do the production on football, men's and women's bball. Give them half the money. UConn works with NBC to produce hockey and maybe soccer and pays for the production costs (I'm assuming NBCSN has the Hockey East contract, not sure; it may be NESN).

For Hockey, its NESN. They mainly show mass teams, but the UConn hockey team does get on SNY and ASN(American Sports Net) when it's a national broadcast on various outlets. But yea, NESN has the HE contract.
NBC/NBCSN is pretty much strictly ND.

How about they work with CSN (Comcast sportsnet)? They only have the Celtics and the the revs. How about NESN+??? However, it's seems NESN has a contract with the ACC and plays mostly BC games plus a few others.

I think NESN+ should be the CT channel, but also broadcast it throughout NE. UConn and the Whalers(someday). Work out some deal with SNY so you still capture FC and NYC so theirs no blackout in either area

Dooley

Reaction Score
Getting back to the B12 vs ACC network debate, both conferences have their fair share of schleps that do nothing for a network. Both conferences desperately need to add markets.

Reaction Score
Getting back to the B12 vs ACC network debate, both conferences have their fair share of schleps that do nothing for a network. Both conferences desperately need to add markets.

This is why something like LHN made sense.

Reaction Score
If I am ESPN I'm not bending over backwards to create an ACC Network when I could possibly get a Big 12 Network on the cheap in the event UT capitulates over the LHN.

Honestly, I can't see how an ACC Network gets done first unless its clear that the Big 12 plans are dead.

Does anyone really believe that Texas will give up the LHN?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like that..."Moving down the trail to where we are headed...."

Easin' on down the road.

I don't know where we are going...but I know the vehicle we're in...a hand basket.

Kinda like "monitoring the situation"?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I do, but only if it is in there best interest to do so. Texas is a lot like Notre Dame as a confernence partner. They look after their own interests and don't particularly care about the rubble they leave behind them.

So, if the Big 12 sweetens the deal to guarantee Texas more than $15 million, and allows them to keep the LHN in Texas, and extends the new guaranteed return, I think Texas would bite. Why wouldn't they?

Reaction Score

I don't think there's any way UT gives up the LHN. The question is, do they believe the OU threat and are they prepared for the demise of the B12? We all know UT will never lack for options -- but it's a simple cost/benefit analysis.

Reaction Score
The Pac's network has been a failure so far...much griping at PAC programs

I would think part of the PAC's problem is that no one gets that channel. You take a league that already complains about east coast bias, and then put their games on a network nobody (in the east) has. They should be more focused on building their brand and getting exposure, even if it means less revenue now.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Just so Swofbot is a transformer and turns into an ATM...."Ill take our $3 million now, boss. Which button do I push?
Swofbot the Transformer would be a Decepticon !!

Reaction Score
This is why UConn needs to tell Aresco to stuff it.

UConn needs to grab its Tier3 rights back and start a network in state.

I think you are kidding, but just in case: why would ESPN agree to that?

Reaction Score
I think you are kidding, but just in case: why would ESPN agree to that?

ESPN? Who said anything about ESPN? The conference has 3 more years to go with ESPN. The last football season on the contract is 2019. Though there is supposedly a look-in coming this year.

Reaction Score
This just in from the ACC Meetings: New policies now in place for the ACC Tournament in Greensboro:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom