ACC Network Done Deal? | The Boneyard

ACC Network Done Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posted on the Cincinnati site:

ACC Network is a done deal, should be leaked tonight or tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Tim BrandoVerified account ‏@TimBrando May 3
Sources tell me the ACC Network (long anticipated)may happen sooner than some expect. Keeping an eye on Notre Dame. BIG10 remains an option

Reaction Score
Andrew Carter Verified account 
‏@_andrewcarter
Just heard applause in the ACC TV meeting. Probably means that league has signed that billion-dollar rights deal. Unconfirmed, at this time.

Reaction Score
Andrew Carter Verified account 
‏@_andrewcarter
Just heard applause in the ACC TV meeting. Probably means that league has signed that billion-dollar rights deal. Unconfirmed, at this time.

This was definitely sarcasm.

Reaction Score
I know, right? "Applause in the ACC TV meeting"... Like that would ever happen.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that crap network could get carriage in Oakland, PA let alone the rest of the state of Pennsylvania. Too many little brothers, second bests, and non entities to ever see anything resembling the success of BTN and SECN.

That said, with The B1G potentially going off ESPN they may be willing to throw a few dollars at this thing in order to calm the nerves of schools like FSU and GT who are watching their conference get lapped in the current revenue war.

If you are Disney how much more money are you going to let the 4 letter spend on content you either already own, or have to buy back at exorbitant rates from Raycom? I suspect not a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Call your cable or satellite provider and demand that the ACC Network be added to your cable lineup" said no one ever.
I would, get the Big 10 off my bundle and the SEC network.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just spitballin... But is there a scenario where ESPN throws it's weight behind ACCN, tries to block B12N, let's Longhorn go its course... In other words, facilitate B12 demise and recruit the more valuable pieces to other ESPN properties a few years down the line? It uh... Wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that crap network could get carriage in Oakland, PA let alone the rest of the state of Pennsylvania. Too many little brothers, second bests, and non entities to ever see anything resembling the success of BTN and SECN.

That said, with The B1G potentially going off ESPN they may be willing to throw a few dollars at this thing in order to calm the nerves of schools like FSU and GT who are watching their conference get lapped in the current revenue war.

If you are Disney how much more money are you going to let the 4 letter spend on content you either already own, or have to buy back at exorbitant rates from Raycom? I suspect not a lot.

Isn't the big problem here that if you monetize it this way, you're going to have a few schools carrying all the load?

I mean, the ACC is full of schools that couldn't carry a network on their postal code.

Reaction Score
Just spitballin... But is there a scenario where ESPN throws it's weight behind ACCN, tries to block B12N, let's Longhorn go its course... In other words, facilitate B12 demise and recruit the more valuable pieces to other ESPN properties a few years down the line? It uh... Wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that.

If ESPN isn't supporting BOTH the ACC and the B12 at this point, they would be dumb. Because one of these conferences is going to crumble.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If ESPN isn't supporting BOTH the ACC and the B12 at this point, they would be dumb. Because one of these conferences is going to crumble.
If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to support A) the more stable of the two conferences, and B) the most desirable elements of the other conference? And isn't that what they're doing?

Reaction Score
If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to support A) the more stable of the two conferences, and B) the most desirable elements of the other conference? And isn't that what they're doing?

I think (B) is what carries the day. Who does the B1G desire? If you can answer that, only then do you know who (A) is. I think it's Virginia and UNC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fire it up.

We'll answer the phone if they can't sell it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You might be right. If this is the case, the Big 12 is in dire straights. When ESPN decides it is time for a conference to go, they don't mess around.

Reaction Score

They own all of the ACC content vs half the B12 content. They've demonstrated in the past they're not adverse to destroying a conference for their benefit.

If one of the conferences is going to crumble and they can control which one why would they not create the network where they basically own everything already? That essentially puts the B12 on the clock as the likely conference to crumble.

At that point they could even continue to throw $15MM/yr to the LHN in the hopes of luring UT to whatever conference (ACC) they choose when th B12 GOR expires

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Annnnnnddddd......THUD.

We think we’re in a really good position for the long-term,” Swofford told Fischel. “We’ve just got to make the right decisions and time things appropriately.”

“I don’t know that there will be public clarity,” Swofford said of this week. “I think we will move further down the trail of where we’re headed, without question. … We’re really just not going to have a whole lot more to say until we reach a point of saying something definitive. It takes some patience with that, but we’ll get to a good place, I’m confident.”

Translation: "ESPN said no and I am running out of ways to avoid saying that."

Reaction Score
I like that..."Moving down the trail to where we are headed...."

Easin' on down the road.

I don't know where we are going...but I know the vehicle we're in...a hand basket.

Reaction Score

Jeez....You are sooooo literal. Sarcasm passes you by.

Studies show that intelligence was a strong predictor of humor, independent of other variables.

Greengross and Miller also studied mating success as a third variable, and concluded "the human sense of humor evolved at least partly through sexual selection as an intelligence-indicator".

Youngster, are you still single by any chance?

pj

Reaction Score
Only a few conferences can get networks, if there is to be content available for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc.

If the ACC wants a network, it needs more scale and it needs to cut out the middleman - ESPN - and go into business for itself, like the Pac. However, it lacks the Pac's immunity from raids (obtained via geographic isolation), so it can't easily sustain a long process of building a network with low profitability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom