ACC got short end of stick with ND | The Boneyard

ACC got short end of stick with ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, just how bad did the ACC want ND?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...faded6-0013-11e2-9367-4e1bafb958db_story.html

From Article

Notre Dame would never commit to a full slate of nine ACC games a season because that would make it very difficult to schedule the seven games that are part of its NBC TV deal each year. How much of the NBC deal does the ACC get? Zero. If Notre Dame is invited to a Bowl Championship Series bowl game — or beginning in 2014 to one of the new playoff games — the ACC gets exactly the same percentage of the money as it gets from the NBC deal: zero.

Will the ACC’s deal with ESPN be improved by Notre Dame’s presence? Slightly. Notre Dame already appears once or twice per year on ESPN’s ACC package. Now it will appear twice or three times. You can also bet that in most years that Notre Dame is scheduled to play three ACC road games, one of those games will be moved to an NFL stadium and, even though it will technically be the ACC school’s home game, much of the crowd will be wearing green and gold.

In short, Notre Dame gives up nothing in football and is guaranteed to be part of the ACC’s bowl package in years that it doesn’t reach the playoffs or a BCS game.

Additionally, the way the deal is written, an ACC team will need two more wins than Notre Dame to not get leap-frogged by the Irish in the bowl pecking order. In other words, if Maryland and Virginia finish 9-3 in a given season and Notre Dame is 8-4 and it is the Gator Bowl’s turn to pick the No. 3 ACC team, it can — and will — pick the Irish. One more bonus for Notre Dame: If and when it does return to national prominence, it won’t have to deal with playing in a conference championship game against a quality opponent in order to wrap up a playoff spot or a BCS bid.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Big East's world ACC. Sounds like ND wasted no time to put the ACC in the same place they put the BE. Ha!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I have said for years, I don't know why college football decision makers get so stupid when it comes to Notre Dame. College football today is nothing if it's not about conferences. Every major player is in a conference except Notre Dame. Why programs haven't banned together to freeze out Notre Dame until such time as they join a conference, is beyond me. Just stop playing them. Their life as an independent will come to a screeching halt.

Notre Dame has refused to join the Big East as a full time member. They joined the ACC but only on their terms which is to keep their independence while positioning themselves to benefit in the ACC's bowl lineups. Just like when they were in the BE.

Notre Dame has refused membership in the Big 10. Likewise, I think, for the Big 12. Don't know if Pac 12 or SEC has ever offered, but the point is that ND has been included/invited to participate in major conference alignments - and has refused. "We're better than that".

Well, not really if these conferences would take the simple step of isolating them from their membership. If each conference would do this, Notre Dame would be forced to join one conference or the other real quick. A Notre Dame boycott would solve this problem.

Even Notre Dame football couldn't survive that. And their other sports would wither without conference membership.

Reaction Score
Yes, they are all stupid and you get it. It can't be the case that they have better information on why they make money on this association than you do.

Reaction Score
Yes, they are all stupid and you get it. It can't be the case that they have better information on why they make money on this association than you do.
Biz, why the contraryness? Redundent I guess. Yes stupid in the sense that they could get just as much money without Notre Dame. And what you are not seeing is that a ND boycott - we are done with you for as long as you stay an independent - will force the Irish's hand. Who they gonna play if the BCS conferences turn their back until the Irish fold.

Funny, we fought and prevailed in a bloody civil war to prevent the southern states from leaving the Union. Yet, 150 years later 64 BCS schools and 6 power conferences cannot figure out how to force Notre Dame into a position where even they see that they must capitulate and join the Union (one of the conferences). The minority (ND) must be made to bow at the hands of the majority (the power conferences) and not catered to.

Reaction Score
Biz, why the contraryness? Redundent I guess. Yes stupid in the sense that they could get just as much money without Notre Dame. And what you are not seeing is that a ND boycott - we are done with you for as long as you stay an independent - will force the Irish's hand. Who they gonna play if the BCS conferences turn their back until the Irish fold.

Funny, we fought and prevailed in a bloody civil war to prevent the southern states from leaving the Union. Yet, 150 years later 64 BCS schools and 6 power conferences cannot figure out how to force Notre Dame into a position where even they see that they must capitulate and join the Union (one of the conferences). The minority (ND) must be made to bow at the hands of the majority (the power conferences) and not catered to.

I hate to break this to you, but conference commissioners, and presidents of other schools, do not spend their time figuring out how to hurt Notre Dame. They spend their time figuring out how to help their conferences and their schools. And it is entirely illogical to think they are going to harm Notre Dame if helping Notre Dame, even a lot, helps themselves.

Reaction Score
I hate to break this to you, but conference commissioners, and presidents of other schools, do not spend their time figuring out how to hurt Notre Dame. They spend their time figuring out how to help their conferences and their schools. And it is entirely illogical to think they are going to harm Notre Dame if helping Notre Dame, even a lot, helps themselves.

Wow, you really are a lawyer. I get it. . . they know, that Notre Dame knows, that they know by this point, that Notre Dame already knows what they now know. So eloquently put too.

Notre Dame the recalitrant son. Isolate 'em, ban 'em, boycott 'em , embargo 'em, ex-communicate if necessary, but bring that tired old has-been program into tow.

Reaction Score
If the ND deal was the catalyst to shove that $50 million exist fee down everyone's throat, then that alone gave Swofford and most of the ACC schools all the reason they needed. Getting five games out of ND and their tie in to the OB didn't hurt either.

Reaction Score
If the ND deal was the catalyst to shove that $50 million exist fee down everyone's throat, then that alone gave Swofford and most of the ACC schools all the reason they needed. Getting five games out of ND and their tie in to the OB didn't hurt either.

Hence the short end of the stick. Down the line Notre Dame will use them the same way it used the Big East. And how does the ACC benefit from Notre Dame's tie in to the OB. Isn't the other way around. Conference gets the bowl bid and conference winner (or runner-up if the champ is in NC game) plays in the game. And a has been program like Notre Dame try to wiggle into some 7-5 bowl game.

Reaction Score
Wow, you really are a lawyer. I get it. . . they know, that Notre Dame knows, that they know by this point, that Notre Dame already knows what they now know. So eloquently put too.

Notre Dame the recalitrant son. Isolate 'em, ban 'em, boycott 'em , embargo 'em, ex-communicate if necessary, but bring that tired old has-been program into tow.

TDH -- you hate ND so much you don't hear what I'm saying. Read it again. Other than you, the decisionmakers are not concerned about screwing ND. It is not a consideration.

pj

Reaction Score
Watching TouchdownHusky debate businesslawyer is like watching the New York Giants play a peewee football team, if the peewee football team didn't know they were losing.

Unfortunately, while universities have nothing to gain from sabotaging Notre Dame, they may have something to gain from sabotaging the Big East. So if university presidents have the morals of TDH, we might be in trouble.

Reaction Score
So if university presidents have the morals of TDH, we might be in trouble.

Unfortunately for UConn and other Big East institutions, I think TDH's morals are apparently well above those of most university presidents.

Reaction Score
Watching TouchdownHusky debate businesslawyer is like watching the New York Giants play a peewee football team, if the peewee football team didn't know they were losing.

Unfortunately, while universities have nothing to gain from sabotaging Notre Dame, they may have something to gain from sabotaging the Big East. So if university presidents have the morals of TDH, we might be in trouble.

Oh wow, so the Homecoming Queen looked right at you (you're pretty sure it was you she was looking at and not the cool kids, huh?). Nice - moral victory for you! Keep it up an she may even be including you when she says hi to a group of her friends, assuming you can get them to give you the time of day. Offer to hold her seat at lunch and maybe she'll be OK with you sitting at her table, provided one of her many friends is absent that day (and presuming that there's not a waiting list of subs).

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for UConn and other Big East institutions, I think TDH's morals are apparently well above those of most university presidents.
Why thank you, Biz! Getting a vote of confidence from an attorney on "morals". Doesn't get any better. Lolololol Just messing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Bottom line; follow the money! We can all say what we want to about Notre Dame and how much a bunch of s#it-stains they are, but at the end of the day, the Big East will make less money for having them leave. The ACC will make more money for having them come. Simple.

TDH is feeling some emotions right now; it's something that I refer to as the "Post Notre Dame Traumatic Stress Disorder" (PNDTSD). Everyone who deals with them experiences it at some point or another, so I won't fault him... ;)

Reaction Score
TDH -- you hate ND so much you don't hear what I'm saying. Read it again. Other than you, the decisionmakers are not concerned about screwing ND. It is not a consideration.

Honestly, it's not Notre Dame I hate (I'm Irish, Catholic). It is the fact that fans and TV all assume the position with them. Conferences are the order of the day in college football - not independents, or else there would be more of them. But conferences imply some level (even with Texas) of "sharing and playing well with others". Notre Dame should be in an all sports conference (I don't care which one), but "in for a penny, in for a pound". How all of college football let them get away with stuff they themselves could never do defys logic. They could so force ND to change its course of thinking, if they stuck together (no program is an island).

Reaction Score
Bottom line; follow the money! We can all say what we want to about Notre Dame and how much a bunch of s#it-stains they are, but at the end of the day, the Big East will make less money for having them leave. The ACC will make more money for having them come. Simple.

TDH is feeling some emotions right now; it's something that I refer to as the "Post Notre Dame Traumatic Stress Disorder" (PNDTSD). Everyone who deals with them experiences it at some point or another, so I won't fault him... ;)

Are you kidding, I would have thrown their s#it-stained a$$es out of the Big East years ago. I'm not missing them, I astounded that there is another BCS conference would allow themselves to be used. Had the BE given them an ultimatum, in or out: Where was the Basketball team going? Where as the women's basketball team going (not on to become national champs without a conference affiliation). Where was soccer, baseball etc going. Nowhere as independents. So unless Notre Dame football was going to underwrite the entire cost of the Big East athletic departments, they were living as parasites.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Are you kidding, I would have thrown their s#it-stained a$$es out of the Big East years ago. I'm not missing them, I astounded that there is another BCS conference would allow themselves to be used. Had the BE given them an ultimatum, in or out: Where was the Basketball team going? Where as the women's basketball team going (not on to become national champs without a conference affiliation). Where was soccer, baseball etc going. Nowhere as independents. So unless Notre Dame football was going to underwrite the entire cost of the Big East athletic departments, they were living as parasites.

Who said you were missing them? I said you were "feeling some emotions." I should have spelled out what those emotions were; hatred, spite, and disgust.

Again, you can say what you want about their football program or their olympic programs, but the success of those programs and their large following insure that the conference who has them earns more money. Period. It isn't even arguable; you do realize that, don't you?? They are arguably the most valuable athletic department in the country (along with perhaps Texas). M-O-N-E-Y....that's what it's all about, and they make a lot of it...

Reaction Score
Just how much money did UCONN get into their coffers while ND was in the BE? I have no idea myself. But, I would imagine that UCONN isn't going to head to the poor house when ND leaves. If I get the gist of what TDH is saying, it more a matter of principle than anything, the money be damned. Now I am a big boy and understand that morals, ethics and principles have no place or business even rearing their collective ugly heads in college sports, but sometimes some of us would like to see at least a smattering of it from time to time. It seems many in here get the old Chris Mathews "tingle" up their leg when ND is mentioned, I am sorry, I don't. I have always disliked ND because of how they seem to believe they are better than any other program out there and I am always amazed when conferences drool over their partial commitment, money or not.

Reaction Score
Just how much money did UCONN get into their coffers while ND was in the BE? I have no idea myself. But, I would imagine that UCONN isn't going to head to the poor house when ND leaves. If I get the gist of what TDH is saying, it more a matter of principle than anything, the money be damned. Now I am a big boy and understand that morals, ethics and principles have no place or business even rearing their collective ugly heads in college sports, but sometimes some of us would like to see at least a smattering of it from time to time. It seems many in here get the old Chris Mathews "tingle" up their leg when ND is mentioned, I am sorry, I don't. I have always disliked ND because of how they seem to believe they are better than any other program out there and I am always amazed when conferences drool over their partial commitment, money or not.

Can I hear amen! On second thought, Touchdown Jesus will probably get pissed at that. But nice post Dougsts.

"I am always amazed when conferences drool over their partial commitment, money or not." Good thing our New England ancestors didn't have that same "Love Jones" for King George.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

That's all fair and good, and I don't fault you or perhaps even TDH for taking a stand on principle, money be damned. But let me ask you this; how many university presidents and conference commissioners can go back to their constituents and say, "I made a move that will result in less money for us, but I feel better about it!!"?

And I'm not trying to be a smart , I'm really not. The presidents at Yale and Harvard could certainly make those statements, and in many cases, already have made those statements. But that's more due to the fact that they don't need the money, so the principle will do just fine. How about the commish for the Big East? How about the commish for the ACC? Principles will only get them as far as the unemployment line, I'm afraid...

Reaction Score
That's all fair and good, and I don't fault you or perhaps even TDH for taking a stand on principle, money be damned. But let me ask you this; how many university presidents and conference commissioners can go back to their constituents and say, "I made a move that will result in less money for us, but I feel better about it!!"?

And I'm not trying to be a smart , I'm really not. The presidents at Yale and Harvard could certainly make those statements, and in many cases, already have made those statements. But that's more due to the fact that they don't need the money, so the principle will do just fine. How about the commish for the Big East? How about the commish for the ACC? Principles will only get them as far as the unemployment line, I'm afraid...

I know, hence my . Now I am a big boy and understand that morals, ethics and principles have no place or business even rearing their collective ugly heads in college sports statement.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I know, hence my . Now I am a big boy and understand that morals, ethics and principles have no place or business even rearing their collective ugly heads in college sports statement.

Right, so you should have just stopped there, because if that's true, then the rest of your post is simply an emotional rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom