ACC expansion | Page 11 | The Boneyard

ACC expansion

Reaction Score
Got it. That same argument would support cutting every men's sport except for basketball and football and only maintaining sufficient women's sports to meet our Title XI obligation. We may get to the point where that is what we are facing, but we aren't there yet.

For what it's worth, UConn hockey draws pretty well, probably with attendance in excess of many men's basketball programs. Both it, and if I recall correctly, women's hockey were both ranked last year. Having a diverse and successful athletic department which sponsors a number of sports makes us more attractive as a Px addition. If we aspire to that, still, then maintaining a diversity of sports sponsored is probably in our best interest.
We already tried to go the NCAA minimum of men's sponsored sports (6). Golf boosters ended up propping up the team for a while longer. Not much left to cut

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We already tried to go the NCAA minimum of men's sponsored sports (6). Golf boosters ended up propping up the team for a while longer. Not much left to cut
I'm not in favor of it. Having a diverse number of successful sports is a primary indication of a healthy athletic department

Reaction Score
Worked so well in Houston, let's try it again.
Well played. Did we ever find out what the was about?

I didn't mean strangers from the Boneyard. I meant actual, friends, which requires you to know the people. LOL

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well played. Did we ever find out what the was about?

I didn't mean strangers from the Boneyard. I meant actual, friends, which requires you to know the people. LOL
Strangers? You really don't know us at all anymore.

Reaction Score
Years ago they had a place called Mugs and Movies...beer, food,movie....did watch a game there that you had to PPV to see from house....went with another couple and it was all good.

But it was in a different ere....when some games were PPV or not seen,,,,also hosted PPV wrestling/boxing matches.

Reaction Score
Adding SMU with no media money is going to draw attention from congress and allegations of antitrust. The only way to get into power 4 is to be taken advantage of. I could see a reduced share for a few years but no money is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Maybe this is dumb (probably is), but why doesn't the Big East add Stanford, Cal, SDSU, OSU, WSU, SMU, Memphis and USF? 18 team league for basketball with 3 6 team pods (Stanford, Cal, OSU, WSU, SDSU, SMU) / (Xavier, Butler, Marquette, DePaul, Memphis, Creighton) / (UConn, Providence, Georgetown, USF, Seton Hall, St. John's) to still allow for generally regional travel. 9-team football league with Stanford, Cal, WSU, OSU, SDSU, USF, SMU, Memphis and UConn. Retain the PAC name for the football league and keep Olympic sports under the Big East. Could maybe get Navy for 10.

Reaction Score
Maybe this is dumb (probably is), but why doesn't the Big East add Stanford, Cal, SDSU, OSU, WSU, SMU, Memphis and USF? 18 team league for basketball with 3 6 team pods (Stanford, Cal, OSU, WSU, SDSU, SMU) / (Xavier, Butler, Marquette, DePaul, Memphis, Creighton) / (UConn, Providence, Georgetown, USF, Seton Hall, St. John's) to still allow for generally regional travel. 9-team football league with Stanford, Cal, WSU, OSU, SDSU, USF, SMU, Memphis and UConn. Retain the PAC name for the football league and keep Olympic sports under the Big East. Could maybe get Navy for 10.
Look at how complicated that was to type out. Now imagine how complicated that would be to implement.

Also nobody wants to be in a conference with anyone from the big east besides maybe Villanova at this point. Why would Stanford want to play tiny catholic schools in Midwest cities?

Reaction Score
I don't think I'd waste money going to a movie theater to watch Wake Forest @ Syracuse.

Nobody would leave the comforts of their own living room and pay money to watch a random regular season football game in a Cinema with a bunch of strangers, especially in an era when channel/internet surfing during games is part of the fun. The people who want to get out of the house and make an event of the game are likely going to the actual game.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I hope the ACC adds everyone: Cal, Stanford, SMU, whoever. It makes them all look pathetic and weak. Imagine you're a Stanford volleyball player and you have to travel to BC for a Tuesday night game - and you have your physics midterm on Wednesday.

As long as the ACC agrees to be the side piece for Notre Dame, they will never have any respect. I enjoy watching ACC teams play and lose.

Reaction Score
I hope the ACC adds everyone: Cal, Stanford, SMU, whoever. It makes them all look pathetic and weak. Imagine you're a Stanford volleyball player and you have to travel to BC for a Tuesday night game - and you have your physics midterm on Wednesday.

As long as the ACC agrees to be the side piece for Notre Dame, they will never have any respect. I enjoy watching ACC teams play and lose.
I get your point and I am all for hyperbole but there is no way they schedule a stanford bc volleyball game on a Tuesday night. Besides, how many classes to do you think top d1 athletes take in season? It’s rare for it to be a full, conventional class load. Other than that, I too enjoy watching acc teams lose. This entire round of realignment is a farce and will be the nail in the coffin. Certainly, for the acc and probably for sports media rights in general. Atleast how they are negotiated. Few may actually earn more in the future, most will earn significantly less.

Reaction Score

The PAC schedules all their conference games on weekends already. I'm sure that would continue if they moved.

Also Stanford's field hockey team has been in the America East for several years, so there is one team that has done it. They have a four-game road trip early (before Stanford's late-starting semester), and then two Friday/Sunday games in October on the east coast.

Reaction Score
Not sure what’s driving the ESPN theater concept, but the only thing that makes sense to me sounds like ESPN wants to create a multitude of local “sports book like” viewing experiences at local theaters. Given the ability to conveniently bet on line, the group dynamic of gathered attendees who would be cheering on (for example) every completed or dropped pass (I have the “over” on completions—you have the under) might be a compelling tribal experience. Without that component, why would anyone leave their couch or their local bar.
It could result in lots of mutually beneficial marketing arrangement’s with theaters and Espn’s official betting site (free parking? if you buy $X amount of food/drink at theater—and bonus bets if you download and bet with Espn’s partnered betting site). By using their betting site interactively from your seat, there could be on screen projections of betting trends in the theater. All that constant cheering might work in a stand alone theater but not sure about a multiplex.
Bottom line, sounds like a dumb (and desperate?) idea by ESPN right now but who knows. Seems like a long shot, but dumber ideas have ultimately become new paradigms.

Reaction Score
No cost to ESPN/ACC.

Anything positive out of the arrangement is good....I like the thinking outside of the box even if it sounds goofy.

Reaction Score
No cost to ESPN/ACC.

Anything positive out of the arrangement is good....I like the thinking outside of the box even if it sounds goofy.

The cost to the ACC comes in 7 years when Stanford, Cal and SMU all would be in line to receive full shares of the ACC contract money. That will be a net loss for all other ACC teams from that point forward. Further proof the ACC is going to eventually blow up.

Reaction Score
Some of us pray that the ACC does blow up....7 years from now is a lifetime.

Seven years ago, I never thought that Texas and Oklahoma would play in the SEC nor UCLA and USC in the Big Ten...

TV will change in 7 years, conferences will change...

My bet has been on a consolidation between ESPN, Fox into a superleague with a couple of divisions...everybody else will be in a different game.

Reaction Score
The cost to the ACC comes in 7 years when Stanford, Cal and SMU all would be in line to receive full shares of the ACC contract money. That will be a net loss for all other ACC teams from that point forward. Further proof the ACC is going to eventually blow up.
Exactly. FSU and Clemson are looking at the short and intermediate term, because they are planning to be gone in the long term. The riff raff know they will make less money at that point, and just want enough depth to remain competitive with the Big XII.

Reaction Score
If memory serves, the last Big East hybrid model didn't work out very well. The basketball-first schools resented the football-first schools, and vice versa. After a few of the disaffected football schools were invited to greener pastures and left, there was a messy divorce. USF, for one. probably wouldn't want to remarry. So yeah, your opening words, including the sentiment in parentheses, are valid.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I Googled “SMU ACC” today. The first article to come up is from a Syracuse site. In the article, it is mentioned that when the ACC blows up, they could/should add Temple, UMass, and USF. No mention of UConn. The illogical hatred of UConn leads me to believe there are deranged people out there with mental issues when it comes to UConn. Sorry, I’m not sure how to link the article on my phone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom