AAC going to 16, why not? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AAC going to 16, why not?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That would be like an overloaded special ed class. Nothing would get done.

Reaction Score
Kansas is a better geographic fit if they decide to take Okla. and is already AAU. It isn't unreasonable for the Big 10 to invite them under that circumstance.
When Delany has made clear he wants to expand to the coast? There are many reasons why he is fixated on eastwards expansion to the coast. And UConn certainly is doing it's part to fill that role. Already declaring Big Ten schools to be peer schools. Which is quite a bold step.

Reaction Score
Isn't the mid-west more conservative? Why would they want a liberal school from the Northeast?
You are aware that universities are generally liberal? Unless run directly by smaller religious organizations where mass marketing doesn't matter.

The states that voted for Hillary are going to look heroic in the future. I never voted, don't care for politics. So yeah, we have a strong appeal to the Big Ten. The Big Ten is not conservative. Nor is any other major conference, really. Sex scandals at Baylor prove that. The only school that would be conservative is BYU. That's it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When Delany has made clear he wants to expand to the coast? There are many reasons why he is fixated on eastwards expansion to the coast. And UConn certainly is doing it's part to fill that role. Already declaring Big Ten schools to be peer schools. Which is quite a bold step.
Yes.

He's aware of us and, under the right circumstances, they might have an interest. But if the decide to go with Oklahoma, Kansas is their natural partner. Kansas resume is very similar to ours.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes.

He's aware of us and, under the right circumstances, they might have an interest. But if the decide to go with Oklahoma, Kansas is their natural partner. Kansas resume is very similar to ours.

Their resume might be similar to ours. Their demographics, tv revenue potential, and penetration into major cities are not...

Reaction Score
I think we can be certain that Warde and Delany are monitoring the situation.

CL82

Reaction Score
Their resume might be similar to ours. Their demographics, tv revenue potential, and penetration into major cities are not...

Kansas · Population

2.91 million (2016)

Kansas City · Population
151,709 (2016)

Connecticut · Population

3.58 million (2016)

Hartford's population was 124,775 (2010)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Kansas · Population

2.91 million (2016)

Kansas City · Population
151,709 (2016)

Connecticut · Population

3.58 million (2016)

Hartford's population was 124,775 (2010)

The demographics I'm referring to include our "6th borough". Also, we're bigger in Massachusetts than Massachusetts is...

CL82

Reaction Score
The demographics I'm referring to include our "6th borough". Also, we're bigger in Massachusetts than Massachusetts is...
Preaching to choir brother. There are definite advantages for UConn, but we're kidding ourselves if we don't think Kansas is attractive.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Preaching to choir brother. There are definite advantages for UConn, but we're kidding ourselves if we don't think Kansas is attractive.

I didn't say they aren't attractive. Just that we are more attractive.

I just took a look at that US map by fanbase again, and unlike Kansas who has a fair amount of penetration by KState, Nebraska, and Oklahoma, we own our entire state outright. It also shows our penetration into Westchester county, greater Springfield, and Rhode island.

Plus, NYC is clearly the prize that the ACC and B1G covet. From a dollars standpoint, it should be a no-brainer...

CL82

Reaction Score

I just took a look at that US map by fanbase again, and unlike Kansas who has a fair amount of penetration by KState, Nebraska, and Oklahoma, we own our entire state outright. It also shows our penetration into Westchester county, greater Springfield, and Rhode island.

Plus, NYC is clearly the prize that the ACC and B1G covet. From a dollars standpoint, it should be a no-brainer...
All good points.

KU is AAU and contiguous. Both pluses.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
All good points.

KU is AAU and contiguous. Both pluses.

I think the AAU thing is not nearly as important as others do. I mean, some of the institution members were actually responsible for Nebraska losing their membership, weren't they?

As for the contiguous thing, it's a good point. But then I'll personally bring a map to Delany and draw a line connecting New Jersey to Connecticut. Shouldn't take too much ink... ;)

CL82

Reaction Score
I think the AAU thing is not nearly as important as others do. I mean, some of the institution members were actually responsible for Nebraska losing their membership, weren't they?

As for the contiguous thing, it's a good point. But then I'll personally bring a map to Delany and draw a line connecting New Jersey to Connecticut. Shouldn't take too much ink... ;)
I hate to say it, but I think it's a long shot for us.

Reaction Score

If the NYC market is so coveted, we'd already be in the P5. Obiviously we (UConn) have a much higher opinion of ourself than either the ACC or B1G do. We need to focus on making the AAC the best conference possible, because we will be here for probably most of our lifetimes.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I think UConn, like Kansas, would be a great addition to the Big10. I agree that Kansas and UConn have very similar athletic profiles. The biggest issue I see is that neither Kansas nor UConn are the main prize in this go around. If we assume that the Big12 is the only vulnerable conference and football is still driving the bus, then Texas and Oklahoma are the real prizes. If Texas is unattainable (I think it is), its Oklahoma or nothing. Kansas does a better job of enticing Oklahoma than UConn does.

If football isn't driving the bus anymore, than all bets are off.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If the NYC market is so coveted, we'd already be in the P5. Obiviously we (UConn) have a much higher opinion of ourself than either the ACC or B1G do. We need to focus on making the AAC the best conference possible, because we will be here for probably most of our lifetimes.

What I've said is not due to an overtly inflated ego. We aren't in the ACC right now because of BC who fought to keep us out, as well as FSU / Clemson who didn't think we added enough football. We aren't in the B1G because they made the calculation that Jersey had more tv sets and that Rutgers could deliver more of NYC. They were only correct on one of two assumptions.

How am I so sure? Well, because we were literally a coin flip away from being a part of a Midwestern P5 conference (Big12) even though we were seemingly half a world away. They want our market. They want a piece of NYC. They know we can bring it...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think UConn, like Kansas, would be a great addition to the Big10. I agree that Kansas and UConn have very similar athletic profiles. The biggest issue I see is that neither Kansas nor UConn are the main prize in this go around. If we assume that the Big12 is the only vulnerable conference and football is still driving the bus, then Texas and Oklahoma are the real prizes. If Texas is unattainable (I think it is), its Oklahoma or nothing. Kansas does a better job of enticing Oklahoma than UConn does.

If football isn't driving the bus anymore, than all bets are off.

I'm of the opinion that OU and Texas are forever tied to the hip. Yes, there's a lot of distrust there, and I know there are a lot of folks who want OU to give Texas the middle finger. But there aren't a lot of realignment moves that make sense for one without the other.

I think that their per school financial distribution is plenty healthy; bigger than the ACC from the reports I saw. If there is any realignment movement in my opinion, it will be the B1G vs the ACC to shore up the eastern seaboard. The properties there are essentially Notre Dame and UConn. There's really no other school that makes sense in my mind. Anything else is more expansion than realignment (i.e., the Big12 adding teams)...

Reaction Score
Yes.

Their fans also travel. Does Kansas or Oklahoma sound like an enticing vacation spot to you?

The SEC is also capable of taking Oklahoma. Easily. Way better fit, too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I've said is not due to an overtly inflated ego. We aren't in the ACC right now because of BC who fought to keep us out, as well as FSU / Clemson who didn't think we added enough football. We aren't in the B1G because they made the calculation that Jersey had more tv sets and that Rutgers could deliver more of NYC. They were only correct on one of two assumptions.

How am I so sure? Well, because we were literally a coin flip away from being a part of a Midwestern P5 conference (Big12) even though we were seemingly half a world away. They want our market. They want a piece of NYC. They know we can bring it...
They didn't assume Rutgers could bring more TVs in NYC overall. Rutgers was added because it is how the Big Ten expands it's footprint. Slowly.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
They didn't assume Rutgers could bring more TVs in NYC overall. Rutgers was added because it is how the Big Ten expands it's footprint. Slowly.

Nope. Not true..

Reaction Score

aAU is important until it becomes a barrier (i.e. ND).
If they want a particular school, the AAU argument goes away. Until then, it doesn't hurt to keep the AAU aura alive.

CL82

Reaction Score
Their fans also travel. Does Kansas or Oklahoma sound like an enticing vacation spot to you?

The SEC is also capable of taking Oklahoma. Easily. Way better fit, too.
Agree re SEC, but Oklahoma is a nice get for someone. I think their shot at the Big Ten is better than ours in many ways.

I think a bunch of factors came together to royally screw Connecticut. BCU wanting to be the only D1 New England school; our waiting so long to become a D1 football school; FSU's decision to flex it's muscles in the last ACC expansion; ESPN deciding to fund the evisceration of the Big East; Baylor's institutional intolerance toward same-sex couples, etc. all came together in a unique way to keep us out of the P5 Club. I used to be a pretty enthusiastic cheerleader for our chances, but, to be perfectly honest, I don't see a way out for us anymore. I would be delighted to be wrong about that, but unless and until we take advantage of the next paradigm shift, I think we're on the outside looking in.

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Agree re SEC, but Oklahoma is a nice get for someone. I think their shot at the Big Ten is better than ours in many ways.

I think bunch of factors came together to royally screw Connecticut. BCU wanting to be the only D1 New England school; our waiting so long to become a D1 football school; FSU's decision to flex it's muscles in the last ACC expansion; ESPN deciding to fund the evisceration of the Big East; Baylor's institutional intolerance toward same-sex couples, etc. all came together in a unique way to keep us out of the P5 Club. Are used to be a pretty enthused cheerleader for her chances, but, to be perfectly honest, I don't see a way out for us anymore. I would be delighted to be wrong about that, but unless and until we take advantage of the next paradigm shift, I think we're on the outside looking in.
Ugh. Another well reasoned argument I can't disagree with. But really, really dislike.
Any ideas what might be the next paradigm? Any hope at all?

CL82

Reaction Score
Ugh. Another well reasoned argument I can't disagree with. But really, really dislike.
Any ideas what might be the next paradigm? Any hope at all?
Not really, but if I were to guess I'd say possibly the trend to conference owned networks. UConn has a solid fanbase, so that could make us attractive in terms of subscribers and our established brand and good regional demographics might make us desirable to advertisers. Another possibility is cable cutting and the move to streamed games again because of the strength of our fan base. The problem is neither of those models approaches the value of the current inflated TV contracts. So we need for the existing deals to run out for there to be a possibility of move for us.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Not really, but if I were to guess I'd say possibly the trend to conference owned networks. UConn has a solid fanbase, so that could make us attractive in terms of subscribers and our established brand and good regional demographics might make us desirable to advertisers. Another possibility is cable cutting and the move to streamed games again because of the strength of our fan base. The problem is neither of those models approaches the value of the current inflated TV contracts. So we need for the existing deals to run out for there to be a possibility of move for us.
So we will be getting out of the AAC just about the same time we will have learned to like the AAC. At this point not sure either of those things could happen.
A conference made of schools all desperate to get out.
Well Billybud did get one thing right(different thread). I am angry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom