AAC going to 16, why not? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC going to 16, why not?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think its more likely the B12 remnants seek to add from the AAC rather than wait for an invitation to come to our conference.

There are many permutations but something like:
ISU, TT, OKST, TCU, Baylor, WV + Cincy, Houston, one of UCF or USF and toss in Colorado St (fast growing state).

They could also ignore Memphis' academics or Tulane's penchant for academics for a more geographically cohesive conf which I think these schools value.

In any event, the tv money will have to take a big downshift. But I no longer think the demise of the B12 is a guaranteed ticket to happiness for UConn.

Reaction Score
I suspect academics means less to the Big 12 than even the ACC. I did read that Memphis has been continually lobbying them for admission, so maybe you are correct and something would happen. In the article, there was no mention of UConn at all. However, I don't see them expanding until ESPN tell them to do so.

Reaction Score
If the AAC is still around in 2023 it's because they have achieved some monetary recognition and stability both in football and BB
Why is everyone making the assumption that AAC teams will be eager to leave
For a Big12(6) that didn't include Texas,Okla, Kansas,and OSU?
Especially since they don't have a media contract.
These six surviving schools on their own don't appear the huge power some are attributing to them.

Reaction Score
They could also ignore Memphis' academics or Tulane's penchant for academics for a more geographically cohesive conf which I think these schools value.

The Big 12 doesn't care about academic. They don't even try to pretend they care about academics.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think its more likely the B12 remnants seek to add from the AAC rather than wait for an invitation to come to our conference.

This is likely our best case scenario - sort of.

The Big Ten, PAC 12 and SEC add a couple of Big 12 teams and then the American gets the two to four orphans left on the raft.

There is absolutely no case to be made for adding Mountain West teams right now. They add to travel costs, diminish basketball even more than it already is and no one, but no one is paying us a dime more for those markets.

Wait six years and then perhaps you can add Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State and maybe even a West Virginia or Oklahoma State.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is likely our best case scenario - sort of.

The Big Ten, PAC 12 and SEC add a couple of Big 12 teams and then the American gets the two to four orphans left on the raft.

There is absolutely no case to be made for adding Mountain West teams right now. They add to travel costs, diminish basketball even more than it already is and no one, but no one is paying us a dime more for those markets.

Wait six years and then perhaps you can add Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State and maybe even a West Virginia or Oklahoma State.

Tend to agree that the ACC dream may never happen and that Big 12 leftovers is the best outcome.

Splitting hairs but wouldn't it make more sense for the 4 Big 12 leftovers to just invite whatever AAC schools made the most sense to carry the Big 12 name and not be stuck with Tulane, ECU, etc.?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tend to agree that the ACC dream may never happen and that Big 12 leftovers is the best outcome.

Splitting hairs but wouldn't it make more sense for the 4 Big 12 leftovers to just invite whatever AAC schools made the most sense to carry the Big 12 name and not be stuck with Tulane, ECU, etc.?

Logistically, there really wouldn't be a Big 12 at that point and given the limited financial upside to leaving the American for an in-name only Big 12, it doesn't make a lot of sense for AAC schools to write a $10,000,000 check and then have to deal with a 27-month notification period to just to pretend they're in a better conference.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At that point, Texas Tech and Baylor are not more attractive partners than Houston or SMU. VaTech & WVU if not picked up would drop the midwest teams in a heart beat to join the AAC. ISU and KSU are fine but neither necessary or attractive.

Do the leftovers invite 4 AAC teams or does the ACC invite 2-4 leftovers? Can be determined now. The money and power brokers will speak, but if Texas and the B12 continue their slide in to permanent #5 status, Texas won't stand pat in 2023.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Logistically, there really wouldn't be a Big 12 at that point and given the limited financial upside to leaving the American for an in-name only Big 12, it doesn't make a lot of sense for AAC schools to write a $10,000,000 check and then have to deal with a 27-month notification period to just to pretend they're in a better conference.

I wasn't thinking of the buyout. Good point.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wasn't thinking of the AAC buyout either which does give us some protection. However the B12 remnants may have some value in their name and bowl tie ins and still might be able to take what they want, especially if the b12 only losses two schools.

In any event if we can manage to combine the b12 leftovers to our conference, it would be a great victory and our best case realistic scenario. I actually would enjoy the conf.

Reaction Score
The ACC already soiled their academic profile by inviting Louisville to the conference. If the B12 breaks up, the ACC will grab WVU to keep football schools happy and Kansas to keep the basketball schools happy. We will be left at the station with our face pressed up against the glass as the last train leaves the station for the P5.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 only loses two schools, they're just going to backfill with two teams and that will almost certainly mean we're even worse off than we are now.
Houston and Cinci to Big 12.

Reaction Score
The ACC already soiled their academic profile by inviting Louisville to the conference. If the B12 breaks up, the ACC will grab WVU to keep football schools happy and Kansas to keep the basketball schools happy. We will be left at the station with our face pressed up against the glass as the last train leaves the station for the P5.

Take a lap...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think academics will keep West Virginia out of the ACC, but essentially being in the same television market as Pittsburgh likely would.

Reaction Score
Kansas seems a real outlier to an east of the Missippi conference...more likely a Big 10 pull if Oklahoma bolts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd agree - it's hard to see how Kansas fits into the ACC.

I'm not convinced they fit into the Big Ten either.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I'd agree - it's hard to see how Kansas fits into the ACC.

I'm not convinced they fit into the Big Ten either.

Yeah, by themselves Kansas really doesn't fit. As a tag along with a school like Oklahoma, they do.

Kansas has a national basketball brand that is noticed by the casual fan. There are some Big10 presidents that have their doubts on how long football will be the top dog so a school like Kansas would appeal to them. Yes, UConn would as well, in my book.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Have to agree with this, but I can't press the like button.

Reaction Score
Yeah, by themselves Kansas really doesn't fit. As a tag along with a school like Oklahoma, they do.

Kansas has a national basketball brand that is noticed by the casual fan. There are some Big10 presidents that have their doubts on how long football will be the top dog so a school like Kansas would appeal to them. Yes, UConn would as well, in my book.
It's surprising people would think Kansas has more appeal than Connecticut. I mean, really? Vast cornfields are superior to Connecticut. Some crap said here is mind boggling. We have way more elite schools in New England than New Jersey or Pennsylvania. Or Kansas.

I know much of this board thinks women don't matter, but pageantry does matter to school presidents, since college is essentially pageantry. A Big 10 vs SEC women's basketball challenge would require UConn (vs Tennessee). No one else in the Big 10 is relevant. UMD and Purdue only have one national championship each.

Football is going to stick around. The sport is not disappearing and will still have a strong following. Just an issue of whether it matters the sport being #1 in perception, since sports interests have become more diverse with time.

(UConn women's basketball will be in very good hands with Shea Ralph, too.)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's surprising people would think Kansas has more appeal than Connecticut. I mean, really? Vast cornfields are superior to Connecticut. Some crap said here is mind boggling. We have way more elite schools in New England than New Jersey or Pennsylvania. Or Kansas.

I know much of this board thinks women don't matter, but pageantry does matter to school presidents, since college is essentially pageantry. A Big 10 vs SEC women's basketball challenge would require UConn (vs Tennessee). No one else in the Big 10 is relevant. UMD and Purdue only have one national championship each.

Football is going to stick around. The sport is not disappearing and will still have a strong following. Just an issue of whether it matters the sport being #1 in perception, since sports interests have become more diverse with time.

(UConn women's basketball will be in very good hands with Shea Ralph, too.)
Kansas is a better geographic fit if they decide to take Okla. and is already AAU. It isn't unreasonable for the Big 10 to invite them under that circumstance.

Reaction Score
Isn't the mid-west more conservative? Why would they want a liberal school from the Northeast?

Reaction Score
Kansas is a better geographic fit if they decide to take Okla. and is already AAU. It isn't unreasonable for the Big 10 to invite them under that circumstance.

I also think it is not unreasonable......ties together Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota as part of the Big Ten West.

Reaction Score
Isn't the mid-west more conservative? Why would they want a liberal school from the Northeast?

You have to separate the Great Plains from the Great Lakes. Culturally, they are very different though once you get out of cities these days the cultural/political gap fades pretty quickly. As for schools, most B1G universities are pretty liberal--Wisconsin and Michigan above all, but Illinois, OSU, Indiana, Minnesota, Sparty and Iowa are all very liberal campuses. Purdue, Nebraska and The Peds seem to be the more conservative campuses in the conference.

That being said, they are still large flagship state campuses, and there's a bit of everything on all of them. Hell, even Berkeley has plenty of frat boy, young Republican, business majors on campus.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
We need to decrease the number of schools in the AAC, not increase. ECU and Tulane should be booted yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom