A win is a win | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A win is a win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know that Whitmer was an Illinois recruit, but it seems to be a pretty common misconception that he played JUCO last year. Butler Community College is a far cry from a JUCO. Really not that same level of play that JUCO is, so we have to temper our expectations around him since he is essentially a redshirt freshman in terms of experience.
Gates, thanks for that info. I was not aware of that, and will stifle myself accordingly.

Reaction Score
OK, Whitmer was supposed to be a pretty good JUCO. Perry Hills is a true freshman. You didn't think he looked better than Whitmer?

Didn't he go 10 for 24? You know what this board is like when our QB goes 10 for 24? Talk about the grass always being greener.

Reaction Score
+ 1,000,001. Everyone is happy with the win at Maryland. What folks are concerned about is how this projects going forward for the rest of the season. They will not be able to do this all with just the defense & special teams.

No, I don't think everyone is happy with the win at Maryland. That is why this thread is 5 pages and growing. It's not about the O, it's about the win. We won.

Reaction Score
I think RE is building at Maryland what he couldn't build at UConn. It's early at his dream job, but if the talking heads are correct, he had "top 40" recruiting class last year, and the '13 class some are suggesting to look quite good. I think it showed to some extent, he had a number of young players in the line up (had to, a lot of experienced players left the team), and they played pretty good against a highly regarded UConn defense. The QB is in his third game as a freshman.......(no red shirt?), no junior college experience, and played a lot better than many of UConns "experience QB's" over the last seven years.

I agree with many comments. The play calling is horrible. RE did not leave too much talent behind in the offense when he left. Maybe PP & GD have high ideals for the offense, but not the players to execute the offense. This is not a knock on the players because I firmly believe they all have the desire and ambition to succeed.......just maybe not talent level of better teams. (on offense)

Maybe PP's classes are better than RE's at UConn.......I'll give them that concept as I'm not the expert to give a definitive critique. Even if thats the case, so far the coaches have opinioned they are not yet good enough to start as freshmen.

I'd love to see different players, and play calling that reminds us all that we are watching a college game and a not high school scrimmage. If UConn was loaded with highly regarded classes every year, and we were offered the same type of offense, I'd be screaming for the coaches heads. But they aren't, so I won't.

I'll just show up every game, scream until I'm hoarse, and hope for the best from the players and coaches. (and that's before opening kickoff). Maybe someday we'll be lucky enough to witness an offensive powerhouse.........but with realignment and conference perceptions, it may be very difficult to achieve. I guess we may have a good idea when the '13 recruiting class is announced and analyzed for its potential.
Gars the difference is that it was a road game. If we won 24 -21 at home with all the guys healthy I would agree with your utter panic.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I know that Whitmer was an Illinois recruit, but it seems to be a pretty common misconception that he played JUCO last year. Butler Community College is a far cry from a JUCO. Really not that same level of play that JUCO is, so we have to temper our expectations around him since he is essentially a redshirt freshman in terms of experience.

You don't know what you're talking about.

A community college is a junior college and Butler happens to be quite a good one - they finished second in the NJCAA rankings last season.

(Perhaps to clear a muddled mind, "NJCAA" stands for National Junior College Athletic Association.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom