A win is a win | The Boneyard

A win is a win

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortebleedsblue

I was really nervous .. Defense, though winded from being on the field all day, pulled through. The offense has got to get something done. Yes it lead a td but more often than not its a liability.. Scrapp it and make mcummings a short yardage back. Our offense should not rely so heavily on an undersized back to draw the d in and then once in a while throw a bomb. It's highly ineffective. Where are the out routes, the cross routes, the cut backs? It's clear this coaching staff simply doesn't trust his qb. Give him opportunities at short quick passes... Get him into the flow. Deleone just kills any momentum before it starts.... Absolutely hurts this team with his god awful play calling.

Reaction Score
They are getting Whitmer acclimated to the FBS, it seems. Whitmer did not do too bad. He has composure, at least.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
A win is a win, and a road win is a little more significant.

I think the wildcat was just successful enough that we won't see it go away. I know a lot of yarders will be unhappy about that, but Whitmer isn't ready to shoulder the whole load yet and if the coaches feel McCummings poses even a partial threat to the opposing DC they're going to keep using him.

Reaction Score
I'll take it. Now going forward ..... Fire Dele-dumass, fire PPzzzzzz, hire a Mike Leach prototype. Do it all tonight. These coaches are setting UConn back. No wonder major conferences don't see the overall, all sports value of UConn. But nobody wants to see this abysmal understanding of offense. P retire please.

Reaction Score
We wouldn't have won without the wildcat- hate to admit it. They say if you have 2 QB's then you don't have a QB. That pertains to our Offense. We have 2 offenses for a reason.

Reaction Score
Actually a win against the ACC and particularly Md is better than most. Hopefully Jessie is OK.

Reaction Score
I'll take it. Now going forward ..... Fire Dele-dumass, fire PPzzzzzz, hire a Mike Leach prototype. Do it all tonight. These coaches are setting UConn back. No wonder major conferences don't see the overall, all sports value of UConn. But nobody wants to see this abysmal understanding of offense. P retire please.
Dude, we just beat our ex-head coach at his "dream job". UConn is P's dream job.

Reaction Score
We wouldn't have won without the wildcat- hate to admit it. They say if you have 2 QB's then you don't have a QB. That pertains to our Offense. We have 2 offenses for a reason.

Disagree. It caused as many problems as it solved. Inside the 15 or short yardage I can stomach it but it has put us in some terrible spots and hurt our new QB imo. Our playcalling is horrible and we were fortunate to survive it.

Reaction Score
The playcalling is an issue but we aren't going to win right now with just Whitmer at QB. He isn't showing any ability get get the ball down the field. It's all TE's and RB's even if they are covered. It's way early in his career but this part of the game is not there so far.

Reaction Score
Any win is a beautiful thing. Lesson today is the same as every other game in last 5 years. Need an Offense that takes pressure off a strong defense. Just don't have the running game to do it, but there are flashes of hope with the pass game.

Let's hang in there and give them a chance.

Reaction Score
Please give it a break - PP and Del are going nowhere. We won the damn game for god sake.

Reaction Score
Disagree. It caused as many problems as it solved. Inside the 15 or short yardage I can stomach it but it has put us in some terrible spots and hurt our new QB imo. Our playcalling is horrible and we were fortunate to survive it.
Correct me if I am wrong but I was screaming at my TV about the wildcat just before McCummings broke a 20 yard run in the wildcat on our last drive for a TD - no ?

Reaction Score
Jeez, I dunno. This team looked pretty discouraging to me. MD is not a good team, playing a lot of true freshman. Right about now I'd be more optimistic if I was a MD fan than a Uconn fan. MD looks like it has hope. We do not.

Reaction Score
Jeez, I dunno. This team looked pretty discouraging to me. MD is not a good team, playing a lot of true freshman. Right about now I'd be more optimistic if I was a MD fan than a Uconn fan. MD looks like it has hope. We do not.
I could understand this if Whitmer was not in his first year.

Reaction Score
MD has that Diggs freak of nature. We play them again next year.

Reaction Score
I could understand this if Whitmer was not in his first year.
OK, Whitmer was supposed to be a pretty good JUCO. Perry Hills is a true freshman. You didn't think he looked better than Whitmer?

Reaction Score
OK, Whitmer was supposed to be a pretty good JUCO. Perry Hills is a true freshman. You didn't think he looked better than Whitmer?
Not much better. If not for their little freshman speed guy - who's name escapes me right now - they did little on offense.

Reaction Score
Exactly. QB ing isn't as difficult as UConn has made it look since '04. Just not that difficult
In other programs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you weren't somewhat impressed by Hills today I don't know what game you were watching. That was a true freshman who spent the game getting hammered by Smallwood and Moore, and they came back from 14-0, 17-7, 24-14 and had the ball and a chance to win. The play call on 3rd down was absolutely horrendous, until then they had the momentum and a very good chance to tie/win.

Reaction Score
Good win by the Huskies. Not pretty but I'll take it. Need to mix it up with the offensive play calling though. Running McCombs up the middle every single 1st and 10 is not going to get many W's as the season progresses. As for Whitmer I think he will continue to develop, I think most people on here continue to forget that he is only a sophomore regardless if he spent a year in JUCO. Sure it may have polished him up a bit but the level of competition has to be taken into account IMO.

Anyway, nice win and a very good chance of getting to 4-1 to start the season. I want to say we will win the Rutgers game after that as well but those games have always been so close and I imagine that this year will be a battle just like all the other ones (well except maybe last year when we put a good lickin on them).

Reaction Score
There must be a method to their madness. I am sure that the coaching staff knows their players and the opposition more than we do. I am positive that if Deleone thought he could stack the deck on a play and gun it down field he would. Obviously there are issues whether on the O-line or in the backfield that make him hesitant on pulling the string on certain plays. The little down and outs/back for a quick 5 yards on first down instead of handing it off to McCombs, there must be a reason for that. Double reverses, quarterback draws on second down if for no other reason than to give them something to think about, there has to be a reason why DeLeone is not using it. The guy has been around long enough and knows a crap load more than any of us so there has to be something behind the scenes that dictates the play calling so far. It is frustrating to watch this offense but lets support and not be ankle biting, whiney about it. They'll get there. Just give it some time. Two of the three aspects to the game are solid. Lets give them some time to get this offense happening. Hey, Geno didn't do it overnight, neither did JC. Give these guys the same rope. That's only fair. Randy left the team with NO offense coming back. That was probably a huge contributing factor on his bolting. Edsall was looking at a struggling conference, maybe someone from MD put the bug in his ear about Cuse & Pitt, Toddman was leaving early so no experienced RB, no experienced QB. He crossed the street to see if the grass was greener. Jury is gonna be out for a couple years on whether that was the right move or not. So Coaches P & D had to start from scratch on offense. Give it some time lads..... patience is a virtue.... even in the cynical, what have you done for me in the last 5 minutes world of CT.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Weyuo - very good post, but perhaps TDH (or other yarders for that matter) will tell you you are letting logic and reason get in the way of your emotions:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom