'A State of Affairs' - Coach Diaco | The Boneyard

'A State of Affairs' - Coach Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As much flack as WM has gotten it's nice to see that Diaco himself said the only reason he's here is because of WM. I hope Mr. Manuel stays for a while because I really think he can really do great things at UConn.

Reaction Score

Same script he's been using. The entire world isn't like the small population on the boneyard gobbling up every tidbit of info we can. Sometimes, well a lot, I forget that.

It's not encouraging for me, to hear him talk about the difficulties with players and attitude and approach at this point in time, but I think a good part of that, is simply him going from the same script he's been using for media for a few months now. I would hope that by now - going into the 3rd week of June and summer programs leading to fall camp - that the attitude and approach of the players and the development of the team is much different than what he was handling in late January and into February going into spring football.

I bet he's going to be nervous as hell coming out of the tunnel on Aug. 29. Rookie. :)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I hope this really is the case, even if it means 1 and done away games...

Future out-of-conference scheduling was a big topic of conversation, something UCONN does not need to worry about this season as they host BYU and Boise State right off the bat.

“It was talked about, it was really anyone, anywhere, anytime,” he said. “You know, play in the parking lot. It was let’s do some outside the box things with when we play, where we play, what time of day and what day of the week. We need to make sure we are getting the type of exposure that we’re looking to get.”

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

“It was talked about, it was really anyone, anywhere, anytime,” he said. “You know, play in the parking lot. It was let’s do some outside the box things with when we play, where we play, what time of day and what day of the week. We need to make sure we are getting the type of exposure that we’re looking to get.”

Hey, it worked for The Squid.

Reaction Score
Same script he's been using. The entire world isn't like the small population on the boneyard gobbling up every tidbit of info we can. Sometimes, well a lot, I forget that.

It's not encouraging for me, to hear him talk about the difficulties with players and attitude and approach at this point in time, but I think a good part of that, is simply him going from the same script he's been using for media for a few months now. I would hope that by now - going into the 3rd week of June and summer programs leading to fall camp - that the attitude and approach of the players and the development of the team is much different than what he was handling in late January and into February going into spring football.

I bet he's going to be nervous as hell coming out of the tunnel on Aug. 29. Rookie. :)

One thing is encouraging. He has, during at least three or four separate opportunities, stayed away from a "cupboard is empty" approach. This time he mentioned, damn near, the whole starting defense as being talented. Additionally, he again mentioned the WR's and added QB's to the list of talented kids. A lot of new coaches would hedge their bets to manage expectations. The old, "got nuthin, don't expect nuthin" approach. He's not doing that.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni inherited a team with 9 future NFL players and some very good college players. Yet, the geniuses who cover sports for Connecticut newspapers kept telling us that the cupboard was bare and UConn didn't have the talent to compete. Some of his first team.

Kendall Reyes
Blidi Wilson
Yawin Smallwoood
Shamar Stephen
Sio Moore
Dwayne Gratz
Ryan Griffin
Trevardo Williams
Nick Williams

and

Jesse Joseph
Kash Moore
Geremy Davis
Shakim Phillips
Byron Jones
Dave Teggart

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Pasqualoni inherited a team with 9 future NFL players and some very good college players. Yet, the geniuses who cover sports for Connecticut newspapers kept telling us that the cupboard was bare and UConn didn't have the talent to compete. Some of his first team.

Kendall Reyes
Blidi Wilson
Yawin Smallwoood
Shamar Stephen
Sio Moore
Dwayne Gratz
Ryan Griffin
Trevardo Williams
Nick Williams

and

Jesse Joseph
Kash Moore
Geremy Davis
Shakim Phillips
Byron Jones
Dave Teggart

That whole "cupboard is bare" nonsense always drove me nuts. I think that was the beginning of the players vs. coaches culture that Diaco hinted at earlier. First, nothing alienates and discourages a player more than telling him that he (and his teammates) stinks. Second, it wasn't bare - that was the irony. The fact that we only won 5 games against a meh schedule with a NFL secondary, pass rush, LB level and TE will irk me forever. The stubborn reluctance to change (i.e. - zone blocking) was bang-your-head-against-the-wall frustrating.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As much flack as WM has gotten it's nice to see that Diaco himself said the only reason he's here is because of WM. I hope Mr. Manuel stays for a while because I really think he can really do great things at UConn.

Do you really believe that? Seriously?

Reaction Score
I'm excited about this season. The thing I keep thinking about is the fact this program is on a 3 game win streak.

I don't care who the competition was. We didn't win two consecutive games for 3 friggin years. We're on a 3 game win streak now. Let's keep it going.

Reaction Score
Do you really believe that? Seriously?

Yes I do. Personally, I don't think he's done anything wrong. Don't give me "he did nothing for CR and that's why Louisville is in the ACC and not us". The only reasons Louisville was invited was to keep Clemson and FSU happy in football and previous regimes at the school and state legislation pissed off a lot of people in 2004/2005. It was literally out of Manuel's hands with that.

It shows testament to Manuel that Diaco came straight out and said the only reason he's he is because of our AD. The guy got BYU and Boise St. on the schedule and UConn Hockey into Hockey East (the best college hockey conference in my opinion). So yes, we not be where everyone would like us to be in terms of conference realignment, but Warde Manuel by far has us in the best position possible and in the best G5 conference there is.

Reaction Score
I love this

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes I do. Personally, I don't think he's done anything wrong. Don't give me "he did nothing for CR and that's why Louisville is in the ACC and not us". The only reasons Louisville was invited was to keep Clemson and FSU happy in football and previous regimes at the school and state legislation pissed off a lot of people in 2004/2005. It was literally out of Manuel's hands with that.

It shows testament to Manuel that Diaco came straight out and said the only reason he's he is because of our AD. The guy got BYU and Boise St. on the schedule and UConn Hockey into Hockey East (the best college hockey conference in my opinion). So yes, we not be where everyone would like us to be in terms of conference realignment, but Warde Manuel by far has us in the best position possible and in the best G5 conference there is.

No the contention that the only reason Diaco took the job is Manuel.

That is absurd. He said it but there is literally no way it's true. If it were true he'd be an idiot.

Reaction Score

That is absurd. He said it but there is literally no way it's true. If it were true he'd be an idiot.
Only thing I take from a comment like that is that if Hathaway was here and pitched the exact same offer we probably don't get him. It tells me Warde is probably offering the coach all the things a program needs to be successful from asst coach salaries to academic support for the players. Compare the two lists of candidates when both men were looking to hire coaches. Looking back it may have been telling that Hathaway couldn't attract better candidates than P, Whipple and Garrick McGhee.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only thing I take from a comment like that is that if Hathaway was here and pitched the exact same offer we probably don't get him. It tells me Warde is probably offering the coach all the things a program needs to be successful from asst coach salaries to academic support for the players. Compare the two lists of candidates when both men were looking to hire coaches. Looking back it may have been telling that Hathaway couldn't attract better candidates than P, Whipple and Garrick McGhee.

I agree Hathaway would have botched the hire and believing in the AD of course is important.

That Warde is the only thing is insane. It's just how coaches talk - they are full of .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree Hathaway would have botched the hire and believing in the AD of course is important.

That Warde is the only thing is insane. It's just how coaches talk - they are full of .

Ok, it isn't the only thing. But Warde is his boss. All he's really saying is, "I wouldn't be here if I didn't really like my new boss." The coach interviews the AD as much as the other way around. My guess is that Warde's passion for football as a Michigan player and understanding of what Diaco wanted and needed to do went a long way.

Reaction Score

Guess I misunderstood what you meant. But yes I do believe it. Outside of the trouncing ND took against Alabama, Diaco's defenses stood up pretty well against anyone they played. I don't know how much interest he was getting from other schools outside of BC, but it had to at least be some because all successive coordinators get interest from other schools needing a HC. But I think Manuel is a good salesman and he's really sold Diaco on UConn.

Reaction Score
It's just a very smart thing for Diaco to say. Manuel is his boss. Saying nice things about your boss is self-serving. Praising your boss is good for job security.

Diaco probably veered from the truth when he said Manuel was the "ONLY" reason he came here. But he can be forgiven for saying it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Guess I misunderstood what you meant. But yes I do believe it. Outside of the trouncing ND took against Alabama, Diaco's defenses stood up pretty well against anyone they played. I don't know how much interest he was getting from other schools outside of BC, but it had to at least be some because all successive coordinators get interest from other schools needing a HC. But I think Manuel is a good salesman and he's really sold Diaco on UConn.

So the Shenkman, a promotion and millions of dollars had no bearing.

You did notice that the 'interest' led to no actual offers right?

Believe what you want to believe but this one is ridiculous.

Reaction Score

Kendall Reyes
Blidi Wilson
Yawin Smallwoood
Shamar Stephen
Sio Moore
Dwayne Gratz
Ryan Griffin
Trevardo Williams
Nick Williams

and

Jesse Joseph
Kash Moore
Geremy Davis
Shakim Phillips
Byron Jones
Dave Teggart

The 2012 defense was out of this world. Something like a top 10 defense nationally. They were constantly in put in near impossible situations with an inept offense. That offense had some talent in Williams, Griffin and Whitmer can play. I could have coached that crew to a bowl.

Reaction Score
The 2012 defense was out of this world. Something like a top 10 defense nationally. They were constantly in put in near impossible situations with an inept offense. That offense had some talent in Williams, Griffin and Whitmer can play. I could have coached that crew to a bowl.

We also had probably the best special team group we ever fielded. Teggart was the best kicker in UConn history and Nicky Williams was a weapon returning KO and punts.

Reaction Score
We also had probably the best special team group we ever fielded. Teggart was the best kicker in UConn history and Nicky Williams was a weapon returning KO and punts.
Williams was a poor punt returner, let way too many balls hit the ground and had lot of fair catches. No where near as good as he was as kick off returner.

Reaction Score

Kendall Reyes
Blidi Wilson
Yawin Smallwoood
Shamar Stephen
Sio Moore
Dwayne Gratz
Ryan Griffin
Trevardo Williams
Nick Williams

and

Jesse Joseph
Kash Moore
Geremy Davis
Shakim Phillips
Byron Jones
Dave Teggart

The media fell for the "who you gonna believe? Me or your lying eyes." Its still fascinating that so many watched an absolute botch job week in and week out, year over year, and supported PP. Even now, as a critic of PP, I cant even fully appreciate just how awful a job was done. Yet, they continue to coach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If he can get a win or two early on, it sounds like he'll get a lot of buy in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom