A quiz about the Gabulous one...jump on it..!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A quiz about the Gabulous one...jump on it..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Games (wins) that were taken for granted against some teams the last two years can't any more. It's going to hurt, and hurt badly when UConn loses the first one, but that loss will only strengthen their resolve.
Remember what the last loss (Stanford 2014) did for team motivation, focus and resolve?

No, I don't believe UConn we be the over-powering, unbeatable juggernaut they've been in the recent past, but they will still be a tough nut to crack, and a very formidable opponent.There's too much talent on this team not to produce an AA this year.

They will beat some highly ranked teams during their first 13 games. They'll win some 30 point games too (during conference play). It won't take long to figure out what UConn has. After the 8th game of the year (@Notre Dame on Dec7), we'll know exactly what we've got.

One thing that I took away from last season is the returning players (in an interview) were adamant saying "they were not conceding anything this year". Saying "If somebody wants our lunch money, they're going to have to take it!!" THAT"S the attitude I want my team to have going into the season. Grrrr. ;)

Much of what you say I agree with. I see some things a bit different, we end up with the same conclusions:

Geno hates to lose!!! When they do lose (Stanford) he runs lots of harder practices and pounds in that they lost. That IS motivation.
FOR UCONN they may not be over powering for TOP TIER TEAMS--everyone else hold on for the ride!
I agree the ND game will tell a lot about this team--but it is not HOW this team shall end the year.
To me it's how they perform in March--ND and others have been shocked in April after beating Uconn during the season--The Master At Work.
A Geno team with this kind of returning talent ---shall alway s fight for 40 minutes--I agree this is the attitude WE ALL want from a UConn WBB team-
They MAY have a loss or 2--except that--it isn't a given--I'm still predicting--hoping--final 4.

Reaction Score
Where have you been hiding BILL----I missed your posting--you rarely posting anything I could disagree with--much like DavidNNaples.
I appreciate the kind remarks Broadway. No hiding, have been a little more occupied with golf (not that that translate into playing better all the time), I mostly read the posts thru the summer and whenever I think I have nothing to do I call up an old game or two and that gets me going.

I am very anxious about the start of the 16/17 campaign, seeing how the "kids" have or will grow without the terrific trio to mentor them. Hoping all the nagging nicks have healed and our incoming group can jump in with both feet. Wondering if Natalie will be ready. Very heavy legacy these young ladies are carrying. Wishing them all good health thru the entire year. We will be a part of the conversations to be sure.

Reaction Score
Gabby is on track to be an AA and have a professional career. But to be a pro, she will have to revert back to being a guard. I'm sure Geno recognizes that,

It also fits in with UConn's needs over the next two years, especially with all the height coming in next year and the lack of experience in the guard position.

As was previously noted, she is already playing guard on defense. How many guards can handle her?

With her demonstrated ability to add basketball skills at an astounding speed. It is exciting to contemplate what kind of a player she will become over the next two years.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This season, from a media perspective, won't be about what our team achieves. It will be about what it does not achieve. The ESPNs of the world showed us last year what was "worthy of mention." Mostly, it consisted of the talking heads and a "debate" over a bored Boston baseball writer's snarky opinions on WBB. It was frustrating to see such nonsense upstage our players.

The very idea that UConn could lose a game (or maybe more!) will have everybody with a keyboard or microphone totally preoccupied,while the hard work of dedicated athletes becomes a side bar. OK then, let them focus on the stumbles that might happen along the way. I will be watching too, thinking about a team that dropped more than one (!), yet found a way to bring home a rather large trophy back in 2013.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the kind remarks Broadway. No hiding, have been a little more occupied with golf (not that that translate into playing better all the time), I mostly read the posts thru the summer and whenever I think I have nothing to do I call up an old game or two and that gets me going.

I am very anxious about the start of the 16/17 campaign, seeing how the "kids" have or will grow without the terrific trio to mentor them. Hoping all the nagging nicks have healed and our incoming group can jump in with both feet. Wondering if Natalie will be ready. Very heavy legacy these young ladies are carrying. Wishing them all good health thru the entire year. We will be a part of the conversations to be sure.
\

I'm pleased your were infected with Golf rather than something that would hurt you.
This coming "Season" shall come quickly--and disappear just as quickly. In between, I believe the "mentoring" of the 3 golden Players--was important but that of Geno and the occasional former, now WNBA/Europe/China, players shall offer equal or better mentoring.
I believe for some Uconn current players and recruits being a Uconn WBB member is heavy duty, especially when us fans start adoring them. I believe, actually hope, Natalie Butler will fill a huge void--if her frame is slighter than last year--she'll do "wonderfully", I hope!!

Reaction Score
This season, from a media perspective, won't be about what our team achieves. It will be about what it does not achieve. The ESPNs of the world showed us last year what was "worthy of mention." Mostly, it consisted of the talking heads and a "debate" over a bored Boston baseball writer's snarky opinions on WBB. It was frustrating to see such nonsense upstage our players.

The very idea that UConn could lose a game (or maybe more!) will have everybody with a keyboard or microphone totally preoccupied,while the hard work of dedicated athletes becomes a side bar. OK then, let them focus on the stumbles that might happen along the way. I will be watching too, thinking about a team that dropped more than one (!), yet found a way to bring home a rather large trophy back in 2013.

True-isms very true!! I can hardly wait for some pundit to proclaim that Uconn Women's basketball loses are "BAD" for Women's basketball.
What none, that I have read, have actually said is that Geno, by setting the bar so high--it causes good to better coaches and teams to strive to reach that bar--and that my friend is always good for any sport..We've seen one or two try--but either they don't have the backing or can't recruit away from the top 10--they can't sustain it--one was Dayton.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Much of what you say I agree with. I see some things a bit different, we end up with the same conclusions:

Geno hates to lose!!! When they do lose (Stanford) he runs lots of harder practices and pounds in that they lost. That IS motivation.
FOR UCONN they may not be over powering for TOP TIER TEAMS--everyone else hold on for the ride!
I agree the ND game will tell a lot about this team--but it is not HOW this team shall end the year.
To me it's how they perform in March--ND and others have been shocked in April after beating Uconn during the season--The Master At Work.
A Geno team with this kind of returning talent ---shall alway s fight for 40 minutes--I agree this is the attitude WE ALL want from a UConn WBB team-
They MAY have a loss or 2--except that--it isn't a given--I'm still predicting--hoping--final 4.

Geno (as most coaches do) begins to prepare his teams for March Madness in October. He uses games against top ranked teams as a barometer to measure exactly where his teams are at any given moment, and corrects any weaknesses or deficiencies that may have been exposed. As the UN-official "seer" of the boneyard, my inanimate aides (tarot cards, 8-Ball, tea leaves and of course "the envelopes", all tell me any losses the Huskies incur during the regular season will come BEFORE the Christmas break. That means wins over Maryland (Dec29) and South Carolina Feb 13).

The first game of the season against Florida State in Tallahassee (Nov 14), is not going to be a walk in the park for the Huskies. UConn will be the BIGGEST game on their 2016-2017 schedule. Expect the Seminoles to give UConn it's best effort, as they set their sights on being the first to knock off the reigning WCBB champions, and start off their season with what would be the biggest win for their program in recent history. UConn would be best served not to look past this first game to Baylor 3 days later. As always, Geno will have his team performing at optimal levels come March. He knows exactly where they need to be, and how to get them there.

Reaction Score
Geno (as most coaches do) begins to prepare his teams for March Madness in October. He uses games against top ranked teams as a barometer to measure exactly where his teams are at any given moment, and corrects any weaknesses or deficiencies that may have been exposed. As the UN-official "seer" of the boneyard, my inanimate aides (tarot cards, 8-Ball, tea leaves and of course "the envelopes", all tell me any losses the Huskies incur during the regular season will come BEFORE the Christmas break. That means wins over Maryland (Dec29) and South Carolina Feb 13).

The first game of the season against Florida State in Tallahassee (Nov 14), is not going to be a walk in the park for the Huskies. UConn will be the BIGGEST game on their 2016-2017 schedule. Expect the Seminoles to give UConn it's best effort, as they set their sights on being the first to knock off the reigning WCBB champions, and start off their season with what would be the biggest win for their program in recent history. UConn would be best served not to look past this first game to Baylor 3 days later. As always, Geno will have his team performing at optimal levels come March. He knows exactly where they need to be, and how to get them there.

I'll buy into your first paragraph!! With ND and Baylor being before the break--that's highly likely--not a given.

Florida State has given Uconn a run for their de Naro's (sp)--Even with the Golden 3 it was not an easy road. But they have lost real talent too. Uconn looked past Stanford--and lost. Geno has an exceptionally long memory from loses. My bet is he'll run their legs off--condition the team--set up a surprise or two for FSU and coast in the 4th period. If My Diamond (CRYSTAL) is a go --and she works as I saw her in the USA--it shall be a long season for Uconn opponents. Throw in Kayla, Bent apparently is a Kelly Faris on wheels who can shoot--it could make my heart go pitter patter with 3 new loves--(KLS, Collier, Gabby, Natalie, Sanyia --I'm not fickle, I like Harems)

Reaction Score
With the tough schedule that Geno has set up in the early 2016-2017 season nothing is guaranteed except that all our opponents will get UCONN's best shot as they will not go quietly into the night! They'll take and dish out all that the teams have to bring.
I fully expect the best from Saniya, Natalie, Kia, KLS, Naphessa, Gabby, Tierney, each and every game and whatever the 3 rookies bring to the fight will be a bonus!
IMO anything is possible for this group! Especially with Geno and staff leading the way!

Reaction Score
With the tough schedule that Geno has set up in the early 2016-2017 season nothing is guaranteed except that all our opponents will get UCONN's best shot as they will not go quietly into the night! They'll take and dish out all that the teams have to bring.
I fully expect the best from Saniya, Natalie, Kia, KLS, Naphessa, Gabby, Tierney, each and every game and whatever the 3 rookies bring to the fight will be a bonus!

IMO anything is possible for this group! Especially with Geno and staff leading the way!

I absolutely agree with your posting--the last sentence - obviously is true--BUT!!!!! It is my hopes and belief that Gabby, Collier, katie Lou , Kia have the skills, abilities, talent, and Geno expectations that they will be a force to contend with--throw in Chong (healthy) and Natalie (healthy) they could do extremely well this year--and the NCAA Final 4 (Geno has never lost an NC game) is a "possibility"

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'll buy into your first paragraph!! With ND and Baylor being before the break--that's highly likely--not a given.

Florida State has given Uconn a run for their de Naro's (sp)--Even with the Golden 3 it was not an easy road. But they have lost real talent too. Uconn looked past Stanford--and lost. Geno has an exceptionally long memory from loses. My bet is he'll run their legs off--condition the team--set up a surprise or two for FSU and coast in the 4th period. If My Diamond (CRYSTAL) is a go --and she works as I saw her in the USA--it shall be a long season for Uconn opponents. Throw in Kayla, Bent apparently is a Kelly Faris on wheels who can shoot--it could make my heart go pitter patter with 3 new loves--(KLS, Collier, Gabby, Natalie, Sanyia --I'm not fickle, I like Harems)

I certainly hope your "Crystal" is up for the challenge, and performing at an optimal level of efficiency. I (and many others) would love for your "vision" to become reality. I can't think of a better way to break the seal on the 2016-2017 season, than with a convincing win over the Seminoles on the road.

It would serve as a building block, giving the team some much needed early season confidence looking forward to their home opener against Baylor. I think Baylor, Notre Dame and South Carolina will be their 3 toughest opponents on their schedule this season. ND and SC both lost to UConn the last two seasons, while Baylor Lost to UConn 66-55 in their last meeting on 1/13/2014 in Waco. I guess it would be fair to say all three have some "unfinished business" they'd like to put some closure on. :cool:

Reaction Score
I certainly hope your "Crystal" is up for the challenge, and performing at an optimal level of efficiency. I (and many others) would love for your "vision" to become reality. I can't think of a better way to break the seal on the 2016-2017 season, than with a convincing win over the Seminoles on the road.

It would serve as a building block, giving the team some much needed early season confidence looking forward to their home opener against Baylor. I think Baylor, Notre Dame and South Carolina will be their 3 toughest opponents on their schedule this season. ND and SC both lost to UConn the last two seasons, while Baylor Lost to UConn 66-55 in their last meeting on 1/13/2014 in Waco. I guess it would be fair to say all three have some "unfinished business" they'd like to put some closure on. :cool:

Crystal is a Freshman--Geno won't throw her to the dogs, at least not right away.
If you watched the USA BB last year you would have thought (as I did) at times you were watching Moriah. She's that good. I'm not sure how USA experience compares to Div one--of this I am sure, before she finishes at UConn Fans will be saying: Remember when Moriah played at Uconn and was as talented as Crystal!!!

In the past I hyped/spoke highly of newbies, based on the recruiting press reports on them--and I was seriously WRONG. But with Crystal--I've seen her and made my OWN judgements--she is very very good..(great??? who know?). Will she effect the out come of BIG games this year? Probably not--but she has the potential. Did KLS/Gabby/Collier change big games last year? Obviously, they didn't have to but you could see the potential.

Reaction Score
In the 2nd 1/2 of the season last year Gabby started to add the 12' to 15' shot to her arsenal and there was talk of her moving it out to 3 point range!

If she can get out there and continue her fantastic inside game, watch out opponents!
Her numbers already compare to 2x AA Nina Davis, so the sky's the limit!

Right on target about Gabby--I believe she can negate Davis, a big job, but she out jumps Davis and can be an effective shot blocker of someone Davis's size. Some have written that Davis is Mulkeys Go-To player, but Baylor has a lot of size, if I were Mulkey--I'd find a way to use it.
Gabby, I'm sure, will have an effective 3 ball. Hopefully, if Natalie plays along with Katie Lou and Collier the inside game will allow Gabby to work the key and grab some garbage rebounds and hit the 12 to 15 footers.

Reaction Score

Crystal is a superbly talented, effective, driving, scoring, PG--I've seen her and she is on a par with Moriah and maybe a bit above as a frosh. Geno's use or no use of her as a Frosh shall tell volumes!
In reading the News print or media posting on newbies, in the past, I exclaimed that this player or that was our savior (or close words)--and I was disturbingly WRONG. The words I use on Crystal are based on viewing her USA game--where at times I thought I was seeing Moriah-no hype pure truth.
The win over the Seminoles whether convincing or not--will be a W in the W/L column. Uconn fans, me too, are spoiled with 30 to 70 point wins and coasting from beginning to the end. I enjoyed them because I could see the bench players and evaluate them, and cheer them on. Close game, cause more anxiety but are a more enjoyable win. I hate loses.. The media dissect loses to the nth degree--that bothers me more than the loss if my long time memory is still intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom