Men - #9 UConn v. Seton Hall Pirates @Elliot Ballpark (Fri. 5/5/23 @7:30p, Sat. 5/6/23 @4:05p & Sun. 5/7/23 @2:30p) Fri/Sat on UConn+. Sunday game on CW20 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Men #9 UConn v. Seton Hall Pirates @Elliot Ballpark (Fri. 5/5/23 @7:30p, Sat. 5/6/23 @4:05p & Sun. 5/7/23 @2:30p) Fri/Sat on UConn+. Sunday game on CW20

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
This is probably the best defensive team UConn baseball has had since I have been following the team.

Starting pitching is weaker, and while it is still inconsistent, it has also been showing some improvement of late. Hopefully this improving trend continues. Bullpen is definitely looking better as @huskymedic posted.

We have no defensive weaknesses when we are fully healthy. Simmons / Morton / Studley is a hell of an outfield and can effortlessly run down fly balls.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If we can somehow avoid the top half of the SEC in the regionals/supers we might get there, the talent gap between the SEC and basically every other conference is insane, though. It's literally as good as A/High A ball. Our pitching is very sus even against Big East competition and I think our offensive stats are inflated by weak opponent pitching. Gotta keep the faith though.

I agree the SEC is amazing but they are not infallible. LSU is considered to be the SEC’s best team, yet they only have 1 reliable starter and their bullpen and defense are similar / weaker than ours.

Reaction Score

->A graduate transfer, Studley started his baseball career at Division III Wheaton College. He’s a former hockey player.

“Jake Studley is a hockey player playing baseball,” Penders said. “He’s as tough as they come. He’s a kid that you can get in his face a little bit. He’s the son of a former state trooper who’s about 6-foot-6 and chiseled. He’s heard it all and seen it all and he doesn’t accept excuses.<-

-> “Really proud of our fight,” Penders said. “It was not a Picasso by any stretch.” Every game is important down the stretch with UConn trying to win its third straight Big East regular season title and also stay in the running for a chance to host an NCAA tournament regional. The Huskies are already in a good position to earn a postseason bid. Entering Saturday, they stood 16th in the RPI.

“The lights are a little brighter,” Penders said. “I know coaches say they all count the same. But when it gets down the wire, you’ve got to keep taking stuff.” <-

Reaction Score

We had such a good time at the ballpark yesterday (our 4th trip to The Doug in the past few seasons). Our little guy got a foul ball, learned to scream whenever the rest of the crowd did and played on the hill for 3 hours, and everyone went home happy thanks to the extra-inning walk-off (and mom remembering to bring an extra snack so we could stick around til the end).

If anyone here is debating making a drive up to Storrs for a game, do it. Honestly can’t imagine a better way to spend a spring afternoon than on the berm, especially with little kids.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last game of the Seton Hall series today, I would think the main cogs out of the bullpen today will be Afthim and Fogell.
I would not be surprised to see Sullivan and/or Ellisen get some work today as well

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to see Sullivan and/or Ellisen get some work today as well

Certainly possible, Ellison would hardly be a big surprise to me either, especially if Cooke only goes a few innings today. I'm thinking Sullivan may get the start on Wednesday against Hofstra, but we'll see on that.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
If anyone here is debating making a drive up to Storrs for a game, do it. Honestly can’t imagine a better way to spend a spring afternoon than on the berm, especially with little kids.
Sorry to get in here late but would highly recommend the back deck at the Lakeview in Coventry for pre gaming, FfldCntyFan and I have slight sun burns today to show for it, and their $5 beers > $10 beers at the game. Might still be nice enough today for post gaming.

Reaction Score

->A graduate transfer, Studley started his baseball career at Division III Wheaton College. He’s a former hockey player.

“Jake Studley is a hockey player playing baseball,” Penders said. “He’s as tough as they come. He’s a kid that you can get in his face a little bit. He’s the son of a former state trooper who’s about 6-foot-6 and chiseled. He’s heard it all and seen it all and he doesn’t accept excuses.<-

-> “Really proud of our fight,” Penders said. “It was not a Picasso by any stretch.” Every game is important down the stretch with UConn trying to win its third straight Big East regular season title and also stay in the running for a chance to host an NCAA tournament regional. The Huskies are already in a good position to earn a postseason bid. Entering Saturday, they stood 16th in the RPI.

“The lights are a little brighter,” Penders said. “I know coaches say they all count the same. But when it gets down the wire, you’ve got to keep taking stuff.” <-

Always fun when Gavin Keefe does some coverage of either UConn baseball, or some stories of the local collegiate summer baseball league teams. He does a good job of it, and I looked forward to those occasional articles in The Day newspaper.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, after getting the first 2 outs, Cooke leaves 2 runners on base who had reached base on a single and a walk, no score.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Quite a few pitches from Cooke that inning, but our bullpen is an acceptable shape so I would sign up for 4 or 5 innings of quality innings from Ian right now.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, Smith leads off with a ground rule double. Freeberger with a 1 out sac fly, 1-0 UConn.

Studley with a 2 out single, but he is picked off 1B for the final out of the inning.

Reaction Score
Top 2nd, Cooke walks a batter with 2 out, the runner is out at 2B on a stolen base attempt, batters interference. 1-0 UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom