86th New Haven Register All State Football Team | The Boneyard

86th New Haven Register All State Football Team

Reaction Score
The 86th New Haven Register All-State Football Teams

There are a couple players I'd like to see get an opportunity as walk-ons, including the POY, Kyle Godfrey. Although, I think he'll land at a FCS or D2 school. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he does a PG year at a prep school. I love the way the kid plays and I think he can compete as a DB. I know he's not big (5'10) or very fast (4.6), but he's a tremendous athlete with great instincts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought they did a really good job with the teams this year. I couldn't find any obvious faults.

Godfrey is a great football player. Did he actually grow to be 5'10"? He was 5'7" a year or two ago and I thought that was holding him back from FCS or FBS football. If he's a legit 5'10" we should absolutely reach out and ask if he wants to walk on. Even as a RB

Reaction Score
I thought they did a really good job with the teams this year. I couldn't find any obvious faults.

Godfrey is a great football player. Did he actually grow to be 5'10"? He was 5'7" a year or two ago and I thought that was holding him back from FCS or FBS football. If he's a legit 5'10" we should absolutely reach out and ask if he wants to walk on. Even as a RB
He's probably closer to 5'7 (All-State write up says he's 5'7, 153). His HUDL says 5'10. His size and speed definitely hurt him. I don't see him as a RB at the next level. I love that he plays DB bigger then he is. He tackles through the ball carrier. He has great ball instincts and (although he lacks straight line speed) has very quick feet. He breaks and closes very well.

Reaction Score
He's probably closer to 5'7 (All-State write up says he's 5'7, 153). His HUDL says 5'10. His size and speed definitely hurt him. I don't see him as a RB at the next level. I love that he plays DB bigger then he is. He tackles through the ball carrier. He has great ball instincts and (although he lacks straight line speed) has very quick feet. He breaks and closes very well.
yeah if he's 5'7" he isn't big enough to play RB. Newsome did it but he had a better burst. I still think he could contribute as a JR/SR though on defense like you say

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on Prince Boyd out of Hillhouse ? 6’1’’ 255lbs DE with a pile of sacks. Do we have Trevardo Williams potential here? Walk on potential?

Reaction Score
I’m intrigued by the DL kid from Hillhouse. Decent size, and good pass rusher. Says undecided.

Also, the OL guys from Killingly and South Windsor sound like players.

Ps. Too busy typing to see above post.

Reaction Score

The kid from Killingly, Lockwood, grew too. Now listed by SPB at 5'11 and 200lbs. You should send a note to GameTimeCT that IYO Lockwood is only 5'7" and 170lbs. Lol

Reaction Score
I’m intrigued by the DL kid from Hillhouse. Decent size, and good pass rusher. Says undecided.

Also, the OL guys from Killingly and South Windsor sound like players.

Ps. Too busy typing to see above post.
UConn is in on the recruiting of Mitchell from Ridgefield, Pyne from New Canaan. I'll bet the Hillhouse DL Prince Boyd gets a strong look from HCRE and his staff. The is kid is an awesome player, has a great combination of size, strength and speed.

Reaction Score
yeah if he's 5'7" he isn't big enough to play RB. Newsome did it but he had a better burst. I still think he could contribute as a JR/SR though on defense like you say
5-7 is a great height for a RB. He would disappear behind the o-line. Too tall is a bigger problem at RB than too short.

Reaction Score
5-7 is a great height for a RB. He would disappear behind the o-line. Too tall is a bigger problem at RB than too short.
You're an idiot. 5'7" is completely undersized for a RB. You have to have tremendous speed and agility to make it at that size. How many running backs in the NFL are shorter than 5'9"? A handful?

Reaction Score
You're an idiot. 5'7" is completely undersized for a RB. You have to have tremendous speed and agility to make it at that size. How many running backs in the NFL are shorter than 5'9"? A handful?

Arkeel Newsome, Terry Caully and Larry Taylor were all 5’7. Just saying, it’s not that far fetched

Reaction Score
So there’s a kid from Storrs, going to Wake Forest? Did we offer?

Reaction Score
Arkeel Newsome, Terry Caully and Larry Taylor were all 5’7. Just saying, it’s not that far fetched
just because people have played the position at that size, doesn't mean they weren't undersized.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
This kid couldn’t even make honorable mention - not one of the big boy schools and quite honestly their teams have been horrible last few years.

Congrats to Jason. He has worked hard - there currently is a giant swath of snow removed from the football field where he has been practicing kicking. Had the game winner on the hardwood the other night as well.
EA2713DF-C325-4941-8DA6-200C71E82EDC.png

Reaction Score
This kid couldn’t even make honorable mention - not one of the big boy schools and quite honestly their teams have been horrible last few years.

Congrats to Jason. He has worked hard - there currently is a giant swath of snow removed from the football field where he has been practicing kicking. Had the game winner on the hardwood the other night as well.
View attachment 27363
they were one of the big boy schools until Drury left/got fired. it's been all downhill since

Reaction Score
they were one of the big boy schools until Drury left/got fired. it's been all downhill since
Those Pomperaug teams were awesome a few years back. Had the best team in the state a couple of those years but got hosed by biased New Haven Register poll voting.

Reaction Score
Those Pomperaug teams were awesome a few years back. Had the best team in the state a couple of those years but got hosed by biased New Haven Register poll voting.
Their 2009 team was unbelievably good. They just ran into a NDWH team that caught a couple breaks. Their 2004 team was also really good. They had so much size. Those were the glory years for the SWC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So there’s a kid from Storrs, going to Wake Forest? Did we offer?
I am unsure what level of effort was made, but my understanding is that we tried, but it was clear from the get go this kid wanted to get away for school.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
The kid from Killingly, Lockwood, grew too. Now listed by SPB at 5'11 and 200lbs. You should send a note to GameTimeCT that IYO Lockwood is only 5'7" and 170lbs. Lol

Would love to see this kid get a chance

Reaction Score

How about the other statewide polls?

Reaction Score
On him from the beginning - went to EO Smith next door to UConn. UConn did everything they should of - he wanted out of state experience. Temple commit before flipping to WF. No chance.

Can’t blame him. I enjoyed my time at UCONN but if I grew up in Storrs I would be on the first bus out of town after graduation.

Reaction Score
Not the grammar police here but someone is an idiot for making a perfectly reasonable comment ?????? Is this forum not for that?

Very good examples here of very good college players. Here is one going a ways back in the pros...
Joe Morris (American football) - Wikipedia Ray Rice a heck of a RB was only 5'8".

just because people have played the position at that size, doesn't mean they weren't undersized.
No attack Mick just a difference of opinion on this topic. Your opinions on this make it sound like you would buy shoes that don't fit but they are in style...

Reaction Score
How about the other statewide polls?
They others don't really matter, never did, at the end of the season. The top ranked team in the final Register poll has been the de facto state champ since the Waskowitz Trophy was discontinued in the 1970's. During the years when the Waskowitz Trophy and the Register poll was done concurrently, the voting for both was almost always the same. I can recall only two times (1964 - Notre Dame of Bridgeport and New Britain and 1969 - New Canaan and Derby) over twenty years when the voting in the final Register poll was different than in the voting for the Waskowitz Trophy. Back in those days the Waskowitz Trophy as voted on by the state sportswriters carried more weight than the final Register poll. Nowadays with Waskowitz Trophy no longer given out the final Register poll takes the cake. The presenting of the Waskowitz Trophy was begun in 1933.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom