#8 Ohio State @ #14 Duke - 11/30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

#8 Ohio State @ #14 Duke - 11/30

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nice win for Duke. How lucky are we as UCONN fans to be able to dissect a game like this pointing out all the flaws and ways that UCONN would NEVER execute (on both sides of the ball).

I was rooting for Duke. Not a fan of tOSU. Any program that hires the dad of a star player to get her to come to their program is not a school I can root for...

I was talking with Ken (Milford) about Kelsey - I don't think she's going to be as successful in the pros - she's a volume shooter who needs to take a LOT of shots to get her points, but she can do so because she's the "best" player on her team.

In the pros, when surrounded by teammates as good or better than she is, the voluminous shots won't be allowed. She will need to be a more efficient shooter.
Well, you never know. She's a chucker, no doubt. There is a possibility that the pros will force her to alter and/or improve her game. Because of her handle and athleticism she could be a very successful facilitator. She could become a more selective and efficient shooter. In the pros with the pressure off and with her no longer needing to be a one woman band these things could happen. It all depends on her attitude.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tuned in just as Duke was going on a run from a tie score to up by 9. Margin was about the same as the Oregon St. game, but from what I gathered the Beavers kept it close throughout, were never down by 17 like the Buckeyes were.

I'm not as down on Kelsey Mitchell as most on this board are. Obviously not an efficient game tonight. She is a talented player who can score in bunches. It's a bit odd how much scoring is devalued here (except when it's a UConn player scoring).

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I was talking with Ken (Milford) about Kelsey - I don't think she's going to be as successful in the pros - she's a volume shooter who needs to take a LOT of shots to get her points, but she can do so because she's the "best" player on her team. In the pros, when surrounded by teammates as good or better than she is, the voluminous shots won't be allowed. She will need to be a more efficient shooter.

Very.Spot.On! From a strategic standpoint, I wonder how many points she costs her team, versus the points she contributes. Yes, she is a significant talent, but that only takes her team so far. There is something to be said for sound decision making, too.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Ohio State just did not come ready to play and we did. South Carolina next!

And how does that work? Duke brought their sneakers and TOS didn't? TOS stood still for a few minutes at the start of the game and didn't run because they weren't ready? Was TOS expecting a different starting time?

That cliche really doesn't tell you much about the game does it?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Very.Spot.On! From a strategic standpoint, I wonder how many points she costs her team, versus the points she contributes. Yes, she is a significant talent, but that only takes her team so far. There is something to be said for sound decision making, too.

OSU were able to pick apart the Duke defense frequently when they ran their offense. There were just too many possessions where they came down the floor and threw up a quick shot from 20+ feet, or dribbled on a spot, made one or two passes and then threw up a shot. On the other hand - if Mitchel makes 3 or 4 more threes, they might have won.

Reaction Score
And how does that work? Duke brought their sneakers and TOS didn't? TOS stood still for a few minutes at the start of the game and didn't run because they weren't ready? Was TOS expecting a different starting time?

That cliche really doesn't tell you much about the game does it?
Watch the game. Ohio state seemed uninterested the entire first half while duke was hustling to all the 50/50 balls. The sarcasm is cute...

Reaction Score
Impressed by Duke. Well rounded team. Good defense and rebounding. Seemed to run exactly same offense as UConn.
Honestly until tonight I have NEVER seen Duke run some of the sets it did. Very surprised/impressed. I have to give Coach P her props.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Not to bludgeon a deceased roan, but check Mitchell’s line. She took 27 shots and made only 9. So, 33% overall. Worse, 17 of her 27 shots were from three, of which she only made 4. This is 23.5 percent. On the other hand, she wasn’t much better or worse than her teammates. But when her next game broadcast begins, I am betting that the talking heads will once again start up their jabber about what a great shooter she is.

53298E33-C13B-44E5-B918-EC174DB82762.jpeg

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Ohio State just did not come ready to play and we did. South Carolina next!

We will be down 2 starters on Sunday so you'll have a good chance to get the win. I will spend the game getting in Coach P's head, however.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
We will be down 2 starters on Sunday so you'll have a good chance to get the win. I will spend the game getting in Coach P's head, however.
Which two? Cuevas and ...?

Reaction Score
Why would coach P even let you in her house let alone her bathroom. :D

As to Mitchel I have never been a fan of teams that rely too much on one player. In tourn. such as the NCAA when they have to play multiple good teams in a row, one off game and they are knocked out of the running. A team with depth has a much better chance.

Reaction Score
Kyra Lambert, our starting point guard, who had 10 points on 4 of 5 shooting, 2 assists, and one turnover in 34 minutes when we beat you guys last year by 11 points is out as well. Guess we can call it even :cool:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Why isn't anyone ripping on Harper for shooting 5-16? Looks like the whole team couldn't hit anything tonight. I've seen Mavunga, Harper, Calhoun and Doss all look good at times, but they are very inconsistent.

Reaction Score
Not to bludgeon a deceased roan, but check Mitchell’s line. She took 27 shots and made only 9. So, 33% overall. Worse, 17 of her 27 shots were from three, of which she only made 4. This is 23.5 percent. On the other hand, she wasn’t much better or worse than her teammates. But when her next game broadcast begins, I am betting that the talking heads will once again start up their jabber about what a great shooter she is.

View attachment 26590

Here are the stats from the FGCU game
osustatsfgcu.jpg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Why isn't anyone ripping on Harper for shooting 5-16? Looks like the whole team couldn't hit anything tonight. I've seen Mavunga, Harper, Calhoun and Doss all look good at times, but they are very inconsistent.
Mavunga made a huge splash in the opening game against Stanford with a gazillion rebounds, but she's been unimpressive since.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mavunga made a huge splash in the opening game against Stanford with a gazillion rebounds, but she's been unimpressive since.

Yeah, one (or a few) game does not a season make. Stanford's Smith looked terrible the first few games but she's come on strong recently, I think back to back double doubles w/ 19+ points. We might have to wait a bit longer to determine who the best players and teams are (other than UConn). If it was based on 1 game we could've given Durr POY for her performance against tOSU.

Reaction Score
Honestly until tonight I have NEVER seen Duke run some of the sets it did. Very surprised/impressed. I have to give Coach P her props.

Never count out JPM. She was worshiped at Maine & the Black Bears have never seen as much success since she left. JPM reminds me of one of my favorite Stephen King characters....Vera Donovan - "“Sometimes you have to be a high riding b*tch to survive, sometimes, being a b*tch is all a woman has to hang on to.”

Anyway...Maine gets to face both of these teams soon including OSU on Sunday afternoon. The Buckeyes should be in a really swell mood. Maine lost a heartbreaker last night to mid-major power Toledo 65-64 in OT after leading 28-13 after the 1st Q.Head bang

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

View attachment 26590

To your final point, the highlite reel up on ESPN's home page is ALL Mitchell!!! Shows her draining 2 3s and a 2. never let facts get in the way of a preseason story line they are sticking with.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Duke already has two very impressive wins (while at home) against Ohio st and Oregon st. The loss at Nova looks less and less worse as time goes on, plus Nova also plays a very "unique" brand of basketball that can throw teams for a loop. We'll see how they fare against SC, but they could be a real threat in the tourney (not to UConn, but, to make a deep run).

Reaction Score
Duke already has two very impressive wins (while at home) against Ohio st and Oregon st. The loss at Nova looks less and less worse as time goes on, plus Nova also plays a very "unique" brand of basketball that can throw teams for a loop. We'll see how they fare against SC, but they could be a real threat in the tourney (not to UConn, but, to make a deep run).

Lexie Brown got into early foul trouble in that game and had to sit on the bench way too much. Duke will be vulnerable whenever Brown gets into early foul trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom