#8 Ohio State @ #14 Duke - 11/30 | The Boneyard

#8 Ohio State @ #14 Duke - 11/30

Reaction Score
This should be an interesting match-up on Thursday @ 7:00pm on ESPN2.

I'm picking Duke in an upset here.

Both of these teams are on Maine's upcoming gaunlet of road games with the Black Bears facing the Buckeyes on Sunday and then 2 weeks later @ #6 Mississippi State (12/17) & @ Duke (12/19). Those 2 games in 3 days are just plain nasty!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Ohio State.

First, because USF and Duke are near each other in the polls.

Second, because USF gets to play Ohio State at home on 2/11 and we want them highly ranked when we beat them. :p

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I'll be shocked if Duke wins, given OSU's recent games (except Louisville, which seems to be the real deal this year). Or maybe it's just wishful thinking because as a Bay area resident that's better for Stanford given its OSU losses PLUS we all know that JPM is such an underperforming coach. Then we get to watch for the post-game tire tracks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
These are the games that help us gauge and form an intelligent opinion/decision on how good a particular team is. At the beginning of the season, how can you tell how good a team is if all of their opponents come out of a bakery, or are mid-majors that are nowhere near their level talent, strength or maturity? :confused:

UConn has proven their #1 ranking is well deserved by defeating 4 ranked teams right out of the box. They will solidify that ranking Sunday when they handle the Irish of Notre Dame by double digits. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'll be shocked if Duke wins, given OSU's recent games (except Louisville, which seems to be the real deal this year). Or maybe it's just wishful thinking because as a Bay area resident that's better for Stanford given its OSU losses PLUS we all know that JPM is such an underperforming coach. Then we get to watch for the post-game tire tracks.

And you know that JPM is an underperforming coach how? From all the negative comments you hear about her on the internet. Do you even actually follow the program and understand the variables involved?. Also what difference will the outcome to the Ohio State game make once Oregon St, who lost to Duke, Beats Stanford other than they played Ohio St. twice and might only play Oregon state once. Of course what also need to be considered is that Oregon States SOS will effect the entire conference where as Ohio St. ranking will only effect them twice. One would probably need a computer program to actually figure out which scenario would work out better for Stanford in the long run.

Reaction Score
Well crap. It was Duke's game to lose and looks like they've decided to do just that. Can't say much for either one of these clubs except so much talent, so little coordinated play.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm really impressed with Duke's patience, their resolve and their ability to execute. When OSU came back to tie after being down 17 they stayed with the plan with a 9-0 run.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Greenwell still having problems when doubled at the half court. Duke working that high post screen to death.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Frequently, both teams exhibited really bad fundamentals. Bad shot selection, sloppy passes, etc.

JordyG

Reaction Score
How did Duke win this game? Don't lose the game in transition. Walk the ball up. High post screens, slip screens, ladder screens, rub screens, curls and patience, patience, patience. 21 TO's for Duke and OSU couldn't take advantage against the matchup zone. With the occasional box and one.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm really impressed with Duke's patience, their resolve and their ability to execute. When OSU came back to tie after being down 17 they stayed with the plan with a 9-0 run.

5th year seniors in the backcourt add to that (Brown and Greenwell)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Add to how Duke won. OSU (McGuff) continues to show an offense and defense that lacks discipline, passion, and a winning philosophy. Mitchell is a chucker and always will be. The team has little depth and little talent beyond Mavunga (a transfer) and Mitchell. Unfortunately McGuff hasn't shown he's a very good recruiter either. When Mitchell leaves this team is looking at 3 maybe 4 years of not making the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
Frequently, both teams exhibited really bad fundamentals. Bad shot selection, sloppy passes, etc.

so true, neither team deserved to win. Duke had 21 turnovers and many more passes were deflected .. The Ohio State was killed on the boards , as well as sloppy on offense.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice win for Duke. How lucky are we as UCONN fans to be able to dissect a game like this pointing out all the flaws and ways that UCONN would NEVER execute (on both sides of the ball).

I was rooting for Duke. Not a fan of tOSU. Any program that hires the dad of a star player to get her to come to their program is not a school I can root for...

I was talking with Ken (Milford) about Kelsey - I don't think she's going to be as successful in the pros - she's a volume shooter who needs to take a LOT of shots to get her points, but she can do so because she's the "best" player on her team.

In the pros, when surrounded by teammates as good or better than she is, the voluminous shots won't be allowed. She will need to be a more efficient shooter.

Reaction Score
Nice win for Duke. How lucky are we as UCONN fans to be able to dissect a game like this pointing out all the flaws and ways that UCONN would NEVER execute (on both sides of the ball).

I was rooting for Duke. Not a fan of tOSU. Any program that hires the dad of a star player to get her to come to their program is not a school I can root for...

I was talking with Ken (Milford) about Kelsey - I don't think she's going to be as successful in the pros - she's a volume shooter who needs to take a LOT of shots to get her points, but she can do so because she's the "best" player on her team.

In the pros, when surrounded by teammates as good or better than she is, the voluminous shots won't be allowed. She will need to be a more efficient shooter.
Impressed by Duke. Well rounded team. Good defense and rebounding. Seemed to run exactly same offense as UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom