#8 Louisville vs Cal | The Boneyard

#8 Louisville vs Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cal is killing Louisville on the boards (47-24) but giving the ball right back with to's.(25-13)
Cal up 4 with 2 minutes left.

Reaction Score
Cal up 1 with 37 seconds left. Louisville really starting to apply the pressure led by Briahanna Jackson. She's a really good defensive minded point.

Reaction Score
Cal wins 75-71. Cal is EXTREMELY versatile and boy does lindsay gottlieb know how to use every bit of it. Cal has only one true point guard, and when Asha Thomas not in Gottlieb converts Gabby Green, a top 10 wing couple years back, to point which is why their turnover rate was so high. This team is one pass first point guard away from being a top 10 program this year if they are not already. That was some great coaching by Gottlieb.

Interesting side note Asia Durr, the number 2 recruit coming in, did not play the last 2 minutes until the last seconds. She played a little out of control in the first half, but when she let's the game come to her that's when she was at her best. All in all, another ACC opponent goes down so I'm extremely happy :):cool::D

Reaction Score
Cal up 3 with 7 minutes to go. Cal has a REALLY good freshman post by the name of Kristine Anigwe.
I was most impressed by Anigwe in the All American game I saw, I thought she was the best post in the class.

Reaction Score
I was most impressed by Anigwe in the All American game I saw, I thought she was the best post in the class.
She plays so composed in the post and knows how to make herself seen in the post. I almost didn't believe the announcers when they said she was only a freshman.

Reaction Score

We Cal fans are SO grateful and excited to have Kristine Anigwe.

I actually take credit for discovering her on the Cal board (bearinsider.com) because I was the first person the mention her there as an intriguing prospect, well before she was even ranked, and I don't let ANYONE there forget it, lol!

She committed to Cal during or right after an unofficial visit to Berkeley for the Duke game in November of her junior year (2013). At the time, she was still under the radar, as it wasn't until the 2014 summer when she made the USA U17 team that she got more national exposure. I'm the first one to admit, Cal got a steal in locking her up before her stock skyrocketed.

As you can see from the video she's tall, long, and athletic! I actually think she's still a tiny bit raw, which is exciting because it means she's got lots of upside!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very impressive game by Cal. Gottlieb has said that Anigwe is the most athletic player she has seen at Cal. Cal had two other guards but junior Mercedes Jefflo was dismissed from the team and freshman Brea Cavanaugh who played with Sadie Edwards at Blair Academy) ran into a pole jogging on campus and has returned to N.J. to recover from a very bad concussion. The team is only 6 deep so injuries and fouls will be huge factors.

Reaction Score
Very impressive game by Cal. Gottlieb has said that Anigwe is the most athletic player she has seen at Cal. Cal had two other guards but junior Mercedes Jefflo was dismissed from the team and freshman Brea Cavanaugh who played with Sadie Edwards at Blair Academy) ran into a pole jogging on campus and has returned to N.J. to recover from a very bad concussion. The team is only 6 deep so injuries and fouls will be huge factors.
Explains why they're so short at the guard position. Goes to show how talented Gottlieb is as a coach to win with this group on the road against a top 10 opponent. Louisville had almost 16k fans this evening.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
This is by no mean a disrespect to our Louisville friends but I thought they were ranked a little high for the preseason.

Lots of freshman and sophomores.

Jeff will have them coached up by NCAA time I'm sure.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gottlieb is a good coach, and Anigwe looks like an excellent player. I think they are in the Ionescu sweepstakes as well. Sabrina's high school is only 10 miles from the Berkeley campus.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Asia Durr might have the impact of Kelsey Mitchell. It's still early, but she didn't start that way.

Reaction Score
The announcer said Durr was "at 70%" due to a groin injury. Cal dodged a bullet there.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This is by no mean a disrespect to our Louisville friends but I thought they were ranked a little high for the preseason.

Lots of freshman and sophomores.

Jeff will have them coached up by NCAA time I'm sure.

You weren't the only one on this board who felt that way

I thought Asia Durr might have the impact of Kelsey Mitchell. It's still early, but she didn't start that way.

Way.... way too early :cool:

Reaction Score
Gottlieb has been recruiting Ionescu since she was a freshman in high school. It's down to Cal and Oregon. Ionescu's twin brother will be a walk on next year at Oregon.

Reaction Score
Cal wins 75-71. Cal is EXTREMELY versatile and boy does lindsay gottlieb know how to use every bit of it. Cal has only one true point guard, and when Asha Thomas not in Gottlieb converts Gabby Green, a top 10 wing couple years back, to point which is why their turnover rate was so high. This team is one pass first point guard away from being a top 10 program this year if they are not already. That was some great coaching by Gottlieb.

Interesting side note Asia Durr, the number 2 recruit coming in, did not play the last 2 minutes until the last seconds. She played a little out of control in the first half, but when she let's the game come to her that's when she was at her best. All in all, another ACC opponent goes down so I'm extremely happy :):cool::D

I am in love with Cal's freshman point guard Asha Thomas for her game, bball IQ, and poise. Today she scored 16 points and had 7 rebounds with solid shooting %'s. Only blemish was 5 TO's to just 2 assists, but she also made some super heady plays and decisions that don't show up in the boxscore.

Asha Thomas is only 5'4", tore her ACL just a little over a year ago, and was unranked by Hoopgurlz, ranked just #114 by Blue Star and #112 by ASGR...talk about getting slept on! Although Prospects Nation did at least ranked her @ #57.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb has been recruiting Ionescu since she was a freshman in high school. It's down to Cal and Oregon. Ionescu's twin brother will be a walk on next year at Oregon.

It appears Sabrina Ionescu will be waiting until the spring to sign. Poor girl is under a ton of pressure. She seemed to be a Cal lean for a while, but then Oregon gained a ton of momentum culminating in the Oregon men's coach offering her twin brother a walk-on spot or whatever, despite the fact that her twin brother is not even ranked in the Top 40 for Northern California. I don't think he was even being recruited by any D1 mid-majors, I think he only had a handful of D2 options until Oregon did what they did.

Reaction Score
I am in love with Cal's freshman point guard Asha Thomas for her game, bball IQ, and poise. Today she scored 16 points and had 7 rebounds with solid shooting %'s. Only blemish was 5 TO's to just 2 assists, but she also made some super heady plays and decisions that don't show up in the boxscore.

Asha Thomas is only 5'4", tore her ACL just a little over a year ago, and was unranked by Hoopgurlz, ranked just #114 by Blue Star and #112 by ASGR...talk about getting slept on! Although Prospects Nation did at least ranked her @ #57.
Hold up, Hold up, Hold up .... She's ONLY a freshman? I was for sure she was at least a junior because of the poise to her game. This thread is too much for me. Gottleib is planning something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom