6’4″ Versatile 2018 NY Frwd Danielle Cosgrove = Rising Star | Page 6 | The Boneyard

6’4″ Versatile 2018 NY Frwd Danielle Cosgrove = Rising Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From the reports (and accolades) we've been getting here on the yard from various posters, there appears to be several " BIGS" (6'4"+) on the horizon, that are drawing lots of attention and notoriety. Some of these sophomores and juniors are showing lots of early skill and potential. Danielle Cosgrove not withstanding. UConn came up short in their attempts to recruit a big the last five years. The last BIG (post player) recruit that UConn landed (that stayed) was #42 ranked Kiah Stokes way back from the class of 2011 (Stewie was a forward, and listed as such. Stokes was listed as a post). Not for lack of trying; the hook was baited and in the water, for what ever reason, we just couldn't get any "bites". Hopefully that drought is over.

It's a new era. UConn's season may be coming around again with respect to landing some BIGS. They could use a couple from the 2017 & 2018 class. There's no guarantee that Stevens will play more than one year (2017-2018), and Butler will be eligible to enter the WNBA draft after the upcoming season. I'm quite sure the staff is fully aware of this, and are conducting themselves accordingly. There's no doubt in my mind that the 2019 season will arrive to find UConn once again "the Belle" of the ball, and formidable as ever.

Tip in: Aerial Powers (Mich St./Dallas Wings) first round draft pick was ranked #98 in the 2012 class. So much for accurate scouting rankings and ratings.

Reaction Score
Rankings are always a crapshoot, HOWEVER, generally speaking, the Top 10-20 kids are usually most likely to be the Top kids in college (and even a better record if in the Top 5).

For 2012, Stewert and Jefferson were the consensus #1 and #2. After that, I believe it was a mix of Jewel Loyd, Alexis Jones, Bashara Graves and Morgan Tuck in the Top 5-6 in most services. Loyd was the #1 pick last year, likely have gone 2 or 3 this year. Jones will likely be a lottery pick next year. Graves underperformed, but coaching plays a factor.

2011: KML and Elizabeth Williams were #1/#2 on most services and would have been drafted 1/2 if not for AZB/Loyd. Massangale and Burdick went to Tennessee... though 2011 was an odd year. Lost of injuries, transfers, etc. Logic was #10 and had a great college career and drafted in the 1st round. Laney had a great career at Rutgers too and drafted in the 2nd round.

2010: Chiney, Sims, Howard, Gray, Schimmel, Hartley, Alyssa Thomas were all generally ranked in the Top 10-15 and had great college careers and drafted in the first round. Dolson was #39 HG, but I believe Top 16 on ASGR and 24 on BS. I do think Dolson getting in shape played a huge role in how well she developed. Honestly, its hard to project how well someone will be in college (Courtney Paris, Danielle Adams, etc). Achonwa didn't play HS ball but I believe ESPN said she would have been a Top 20 prospect. Achonwa, McBride (rated 25ish) and Dolson had the benefit of playing under great coaches.

BTW, Stokes was #14 on BS, and I believe #9 on ASGR.

Reaction Score
From the reports (and accolades) we've been getting here on the yard from various posters, there appears to be several " BIGS" (6'4"+) on the horizon, that are drawing lots of attention and notoriety. Some of these sophomores and juniors are showing lots of early skill and potential. Danielle Cosgrove not withstanding. UConn came up short in their attempts to recruit a big the last five years. The last BIG (post player) recruit that UConn landed (that stayed) was #42 ranked Kiah Stokes way back from the class of 2011 (Stewie was a forward, and listed as such. Stokes was listed as a post). Not for lack of trying; the hook was baited and in the water, for what ever reason, we just couldn't get any "bites". Hopefully that drought is over.

It's a new era. UConn's season may be coming around again with respect to landing some BIGS. They could use a couple from the 2017 & 2018 class. There's no guarantee that Stevens will play more than one year (2017-2018), and Butler will be eligible to enter the WNBA draft after the upcoming season. I'm quite sure the staff is fully aware of this, and are conducting themselves accordingly. There's no doubt in my mind that the 2019 season will arrive to find UConn once again "the Belle" of the ball, and formidable as ever.

Tip in: Aerial Powers (Mich St./Dallas Wings) first round draft pick was ranked #98 in the 2012 class. So much for accurate scouting rankings and ratings.
All the more reason we must get the "local" ones when they are available. It seems to be getting more difficult to lure the others to come north.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
New article about Brown does not mention UConn while mentioning numerous other offers.

De La Cerda, Brown named All-Americans
Interesting. I searched and could not find a Non-Boneyard source stating that UCONN has offered Brown. The recruiting page is only place I've seen this. You never know with these things Camara said the other day that she had UCONN offer in 2015, which was news to me.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I searched and could not find a Non-Boneyard source stating that UCONN has offered Brown. The recruiting page is only place I've seen this. You never know with these things Camara said the other day that she had UCONN offer in 2015, which was news to me.
I too have not seen any other mention of Brown's Uconn offer. Camara's offer was noted at the time, but not emphasized. And then she chose Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom