6’4″ Versatile 2018 NY Frwd Danielle Cosgrove = Rising Star | Page 4 | The Boneyard

6’4″ Versatile 2018 NY Frwd Danielle Cosgrove = Rising Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's pump the brakes just a little on any comparisons of Danielle Cosgrove to Big Mama or Stewie.
In those videos did anyone see Danielle playing against anyone close to her size/skill?
Pedal to the metal! Gas on the fire! I dream big and put it out there!

Reaction Score
Let's pump the brakes just a little on any comparisons of Danielle Cosgrove to Big Mama or Stewie.
In those videos did anyone see Danielle playing against anyone close to her size/skill?

Did anyone see Stewart play against anyone her size / skill last year ?

granted Cosgrove was not playing against great competition , however she still demonstrated good athletic ability and skills

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Cosgrove camped at SC over the weekend for Dawn's ELITE camp. She was offered on the spot so she's probably going to be a good prospect. She's currently a 3 star on ESPN's hoopgurlz, but it's far too early to really take 2018 class rankings into consideration.

As far as I know, her only other big D1 offers are Michigan, MSU, Colorado and now SC..

Is UCONN looking at her? I hope not! :rolleyes:

If that's the case, we'll be going head to head for a few 2018 post players. :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did anyone see Stewart play against anyone her size / skill last year ?

granted Cosgrove was not playing against great competition , however she still demonstrated good athletic ability and skills
Precisely the point. At a comparable age to Danielle Cosgrove Stewie was demonstrating World class (pick your own adjective) skill against older, bigger, players for USA basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If that's the case, we'll be going head to head for a few 2018 post players.
Let's compare notes for a second. These are the 2018 Post Players that UCONN has been linked to or have expressed interest in UCONN.
Charli Collier
Danielle Cosgrove
Sedona Prince
Lindsey Jarosinski
Olivia Owens
Bexley Wallace
Olivia Nelson-Ododa
Where do you think there is overlap?

Reaction Score

Come on Geno. Get on it!

Isn't there a state law that Geno must recruit every player mentioned on the Bonneyard. If not, we should get the legislature to fix that oversight.

Reaction Score
Cosgrove camped at SC over the weekend for Dawn's ELITE camp. She was offered on the spot so she's probably going to be a good prospect. She's currently a 3 star on ESPN's hoopgurlz, but it's far too early to really take 2018 class rankings into consideration.

As far as I know, her only other big D1 offers are Michigan, MSU, Colorado and now SC..

Is UCONN looking at her? I hope not! :rolleyes:

If that's the case, we'll be going head to head for a few 2018 post players. :eek:
The Boneyard has given her a UCONN ranking. The rest is mere paper work.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Let's compare notes for a second. These are the 2018 Post Players that UCONN has been linked to or have expressed interest in UCONN.
Charli Collier
Danielle Cosgrove
Sedona Prince
Lindsey Jarosinski
Olivia Owens
Bexley Wallace
Olivia Nelson-Ododa

I know for sure Cosgrove and Jarosinski have SC offers. We were looking at Prince for quite a while but interest faded on either side, not sure if we're still pursuing her.. I'm aware she has narrowed down to a top 10 so perhaps not. SC has also been in contact with Collier and most recently Nelson-Ododa, not sure if either have official offers but I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't think we're expecting to bring in any 2017 post players so it seems like we're hitting 2018 and 2019 pretty hard. SC will have ample roster space at F/C in the coming years.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Charli Collier
Danielle Cosgrove
Sedona Prince
Lindsey Jarosinski
Olivia Owens
Bexley Wallace
Olivia Nelson-Ododa
I WANT THEM ALL. If you think that's greed listen to this. I WANT ALL OF THE BEST FROM 2019 TOO. Is that so wrong?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know for sure Cosgrove and Jarosinski have SC offers. We were looking at Prince for quite a while but interest faded on either side, not sure if we're still pursuing her.. I'm aware she has narrowed down to a top 10 so perhaps not. SC has also been in contact with Collier and most recently Nelson-Ododa, not sure if either have official offers but I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't think we're expecting to bring in any 2017 post players so it seems like we're hitting 2018 and 2019 pretty hard. SC will have ample roster space at F/C in the coming years.
I hope you guys get at least two of these young ladies. If The UConn doesn't win next year I hope Dawn takes it. WBB needs a real rivalry. Now. The amount of great fans you guys bring to the table along with a good rivalry with the Husky's could really boost WBB's cache.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought the Boneyard was where Geno learned who to recruit
and coach and figure out who to starts and who he hates, and who is in the dog house .........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I WANT THEM ALL. If you think that's greed listen to this. I WANT ALL OF THE BEST FROM 2019 TOO. Is that so wrong?
I want 4 with variety C-Collier, PF Cosgrove, Wing/SF DeCosta,G Williams to replace departing seniors Natalie Courtney, Kia & Gabby. That would put the roster at 14 (assuming Megan Walker picks UCONN) and very balanced by class with 3 Seniors, 4 Juniors, 3 Sophmores and 4 Freshmen. Also incredible depth
C: C. Collier & Camara
PF: Stevens ,Irwin, & Cosgrove
SF: KLS, N.Collier, DeCosta, Gordon
SG: Walker, C. Williams & AEH
PG: Dangerfield & Bent

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I hope you guys get at least two of these young ladies. If The UConn doesn't win next year I hope Dawn takes it. WBB needs a real rivalry. Now. The amount of great fans you guys bring to the table along with a good rivalry with the Husky's could really boost WBB's cache.

Dawn has been dreaming since day 1 of selling out our arena so it was awesome to see the fans come through and fulfill a dream for her. Our fans just love to see execution at a high level, win or lose, so when UCONN came to SC it was great because it allowed our fans to see great basketball of a completely different style up close. We obviously wanted to win, but we respect a good opponent and after seeing it up close, most of our fans left that game with an idea of what Dawn is trying to build at SC.

I'm gonna try any which way I can to attend the UCONN/SC game this year. Tickets will definitely be hard to come by.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Dawn has been dreaming since day 1 of selling out our arena so it was awesome to see the fans come through and fulfill a dream for her... . I'm gonna try any which way I can to attend the UCONN/SC game this year. Tickets will definitely be hard to come by.

You will know you have hit it big-time when you see a couple free lance entrepreneurs outside the arena, one asking passers-by, "Got extra tix?," and the other furtively mumbling, "Need good seats?";)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dawn has been dreaming since day 1 of selling out our arena so it was awesome to see the fans come through and fulfill a dream for her. Our fans just love to see execution at a high level, win or lose, so when UCONN came to SC it was great because it allowed our fans to see great basketball of a completely different style up close. We obviously wanted to win, but we respect a good opponent and after seeing it up close, most of our fans left that game with an idea of what Dawn is trying to build at SC.

I'm gonna try any which way I can to attend the UCONN/SC game this year. Tickets will definitely be hard to come by.
Much respect to Dawn for building that program into a nation contender. Many other coaches could "learn some lessons" from her success.
On a personal note, my peeps in Orangeburg would like to thank Dawn for taking South Carolina State off the schedule thus avoiding the annual brutal smack down.

Reaction Score
I want 4 with variety C-Collier, PF Cosgrove, Wing/SF DeCosta,G Williams to replace departing seniors Natalie Courtney, Kia & Gabby. That would put the roster at 14 (assuming Megan Walker picks UCONN) and very balanced by class with 3 Seniors, 4 Juniors, 3 Sophmores and 4 Freshmen. Also incredible depth
C: C. Collier & Camara
PF: Stevens ,Irwin, & Cosgrove
SF: KLS, N.Collier, DeCosta, Gordon
SG: Walker, C. Williams & AEH
PG: Dangerfield & Bent
Great roster. It's great fun to speculate. Coombs's decision would impact this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Great roster. It's great fun to speculate. Coombs's decision would impact this.
Yes there are several wildcards that could impact the size and make up of the 2018 roster-Coombs '17 is among the wildest. The other wildest is Amaya Brown '18 (G) who like Coombs is also holding a UCONN offer.

Reaction Score
Based on what has been written and on her own social media, I would say the oddds are that Coombs will commit to UConn as long as she feels there are minutes for her in their rotation

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based on what has been written and on her own social media, I would say the oddds are that Coombs will commit to UConn as long as she feels there are minutes for her in their rotation
I'm not in that universe, can you please summarize or repost what she has written.

Reaction Score
as long as she feels there are minutes for her in their rotation
This is such an interesting problem for all teams who are stockpiling McD AA's, but in particular for UConn if CocoHusky's dream team above (or something similar) eventuates. I know of two models for using such depth:
1. The Kentucky men's team of 2 years ago, which essentially had two equal squads getting ~ equal time. Substitutions by squad broke down a bit based on situations and need. But is it a good thing to have an entire squad sitting for a while? It's not like ice hockey where the cardio requirements after only a few of minutes force entire lines off the ice.

2. This past year, Geno was able to keep everyone involved, because there were so many conference blow outs that starters averaged only ~ 22 minutes. Until the final minutes, Geno rotated players in and out, rather than fundamentally send in a second team all at once. But that was a special situation as the core 3 were comfortably the greatest players in the game and were putting the goal of 4 NCs above all else, and an elite group of benchers may not be advisable when playing tight games against top teams. They'll want their time, too, but frequent substitutions aren't necessarily the best way to develop team cohesion and flow.

I guess I don't really have a point other than to say that some potential recruits would find this situation attractive and others might worry that somehow their future prospects would be diminished by it. Gabby is the poster child for seeing this as constructive and a positive approach, but then again, she was first (or second: sometimes it was Napheesa) coming off the bench and was effectively as much a starter as the starting 5.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is such an interesting problem for all teams who are stockpiling McD AA's, but in particular for UConn if CocoHusky's dream team above (or something similar) eventuates. I know of two models for using such depth:

1. The Kentucky men's team of 2 years ago, which essentially had two equal squads getting ~ equal time. Substitutions by squad broke down a bit based on situations and need. But is it a good thing to have an entire squad sitting for a while? It's not like ice hockey where the cardio requirements after only a few of minutes force entire lines off the ice.

2. This past year, Geno was able to keep everyone involved, because there were so many conference blow outs that starters averaged only ~ 22 minutes. Until the final minutes, Geno rotated players in and out, rather than fundamentally send in a second team all at once. But that was a special situation as the core 3 were comfortably the greatest players in the game and were putting the goal of 4 NCs above all else, and an elite group of benchers may not be advisable when playing tight games against top teams. They'll want their time, too, but frequent substitutions aren't necessarily the best way to develop team cohesion and flow.

I guess I don't really have a point other than to say that some potential recruits would find this situation attractive and others might worry that somehow their future prospects would be diminished by it. Gabby is the poster child for seeing this as constructive and a positive approach, but then again, she was first (or second: sometimes it was Napheesa) coming off the bench and was effectively as much a starter as the starting 5.

Coombs will make up her own mind, but I can't see Geno committing to anything regarding minutes for a potential recruit. I also don't thing he would be a fan of the Kentucky men's five in-five out either.
Geno has successfully managed a 5 guard rotation to a national Championship as recently as 2013 Mins/game noted.

Faris 29.7
Hartley 26.7
Banks 17.1 * Played in only 21 games.
Jefferson 17.4
Doty 16.5

Should Coombs accept the UCONN offer, her Freshmen year she will be competing against 6 guards at a minimum. Maximum would be 7 assuming Walker chooses UCONN.
Nurse
Ekmart
Gordon
Dangerfield
Bent
Espinosa-Hunter

Before someone says well some of these players are not going to play guard, the other positions are equally crowded. Don't know what an acceptable amount of minutes would be to Coombs, but I'm having trouble envisioning double digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom