50lb bag of sand. Ever get hit by one? Check out this RB comparison | Page 2 | The Boneyard

50lb bag of sand. Ever get hit by one? Check out this RB comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watch the Rutgers game and see the difference in weight impact. LM will be tackled several times from the side or head on by CB or S and be dropped right there; the Rutgers runner will run through several CB or S hits and several LB tackles. Unless the lighter guy makes you miss re movement vs direct forward force he is going to be less of an impact guy inside. You can not wear down an offense with a 160 lb back pounding inside averaging less than 4 ypc. Maybe the Orgeon or WV guys can with their wide open formations and much larger YPC but not Uconn.
A 160 lb inside running back is a losing proposition, in physics and in CFB.

Reaction Score
I'm not a mechanical engineer. I'm a civil structural guy so I don't claim to be familiar with forces in moving objects. I haven't done that stuff since college/fe exam days, but it seems to me your throwing alot out the window with your math. What about momentum and center of gravity ( where Carl's pad level comes into play) also players tend to prep themselves for hits where they get low and push forward like a spring. This is where lower body strength comes into .
alright alright. im was just trying to prove a point and do some fun math with it. Yes, i didnt take into consideration almost everything that has to do with physics. I didnt make assumptions.

The point is still made, as far as a 166lb back going up the middle vs. a 216lb back going up the middle at the same speed. it doestn take a genius to figure this one out.

Reaction Score
alright alright. im was just trying to prove a point and do some fun math with it. Yes, i didnt take into consideration almost everything that has to do with physics. I didnt make assumptions.

The point is still made, as far as a 166lb back going up the middle vs. a 216lb back going up the middle at the same speed. it doestn take a genius to figure this one out.

You are totally right.

Reaction Score
50 lbs isnt a huge amount of weight. Most of us can pick up a 50lb bag of sand. Now throw that bag of sand at somebody as hard as you can. It's taveling at about 5mph. bet it'll move ya. Would a 5olb bag of sand traveling at 5mph move a 300lb DL?
Now im going to get all Engineer on you:
Martin Hyppolite -
Mass=216lbs 40 yard dash = 4.45seconds Intial acceleration (1st 10 yards)= 6.07yds/s^2
F=ma---> 537Newtons of Force

Lyle McCombs-
Mass=166lbs 40 yard dash = 4.46seconds Intial acceleration (1st 10 yards)= 6.05yds/s^2
F=ma---> 413Newtons of Force

The difference is 124Newtons of force.
Now back calculating---> 124N = 50lbs @ 12.6mph.
If I threw a 50lb bag of sand at 12.6mph at you, would it move you? Would it move a 300lb DL?
Better yet, take that extra 124Newtons away, now you have Lyle McCombs inbetween the tackles. He's not going anywhere. Not falling forward. Not anything.

Interesting is that they both have the same initial acceleration and same 40 time. both can get to the corner at the same speed. BUT, if you KNOW there is going to be contact(up the middle) you absoluetly need to have more force moving forward. It's in the math.

Only Newtons I've ever been able to wrap my hands around...

images

pj

Reaction Score

My point still stands too. We're talking about a difference of inches. That matters on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, which is why they use Hyppolite for short yardage. It's not a major consideration on plays where you're trying to pick up bigger yardage.

Reaction Score
The board's beginning to get its sense of humor back!

I see this as a good thing.

I was trying to figure out a mama joke about a 50 pound bag of sand but i came up empty

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I was trying to figure out a mama joke about a 50 pound bag of sand but i came up empty

Tread carefully there. Folks are on edge this week and Mama jokes have had a way of setting some tempers afire...;)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

That would be tough but on another note within this thread, Nate Newton was about the equivalent of nearly eight of those sand bags.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
50 lbs isnt a huge amount of weight. Most of us can pick up a 50lb bag of sand. Now throw that bag of sand at somebody as hard as you can. It's taveling at about 5mph. bet it'll move ya. Would a 5olb bag of sand traveling at 5mph move a 300lb DL?
Now im going to get all Engineer on you:
Martin Hyppolite -
Mass=216lbs 40 yard dash = 4.45seconds Intial acceleration (1st 10 yards)= 6.07yds/s^2
F=ma---> 537Newtons of Force

Lyle McCombs-
Mass=166lbs 40 yard dash = 4.46seconds Intial acceleration (1st 10 yards)= 6.05yds/s^2
F=ma---> 413Newtons of Force

The difference is 124Newtons of force.
Now back calculating---> 124N = 50lbs @ 12.6mph.
If I threw a 50lb bag of sand at 12.6mph at you, would it move you? Would it move a 300lb DL?
Better yet, take that extra 124Newtons away, now you have Lyle McCombs inbetween the tackles. He's not going anywhere. Not falling forward. Not anything.

Interesting is that they both have the same initial acceleration and same 40 time. both can get to the corner at the same speed. BUT, if you KNOW there is going to be contact(up the middle) you absoluetly need to have more force moving forward. It's in the math.
th

Loved it.

Reaction Score
Watching that run by Hyppolite I felt that LM would not have made it to the endzone.Whether it is a longer stride length or a bit better getaway speed I think LM would have been cutoff before getting there. There have beeen times this year where someone getting up to top speed or making the right cut would have given us some much bigger runs.Now LM has scored by making some great cuts in the hole near the goaline and making people miss. Point is there are advantages that both bring, and most likely some on the bench also but our coaching staff refuses to use all it's weapons. Sometimes they use the backups so little that all they do is telegraph what they are going to do when the sub goes in. I'm really starting to not like these guys.

Reaction Score
Never mind the 50 lbs of sand, how about an oz. of comman sense as from a quote from Hyppolite:

“I feel like I can be an addition to the backfield. You see most teams have multiple backs and that one back stays more fresh instead of getting beat up, give him an opportunity to break runs instead of being too tired. I definitely feel like if I can come in and help carry the load. Lyle [McCombs] could play even better and we could have a quicker, faster running game.”

Gee, so a 20 year old kid gets it but not the offensive coordinator. My thinking is, if you do something no one else does and it works worse than 110 out of 120 teams then you might well consider your way ain't the way to go. 29 carries and 3 catches = 331 carries and 36 catches for a 12 game year which is quite a load. As an example, Montee Bell last year carried the ball 307 times in 14 games. So needing to ride LM like this against Buffalo is not a good sign.

Reaction Score
This discussion is truly amazing. Why? Because a clear majority of the posters who are totally convinced that Hyppolite needs to play more for McCombs were just as totally convinced five days ago that Hyppolite needed to be pushed down the depth chart so we could see the freshmen. And it doesn't appear to occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, the coaches were playing him ahead of Delorenzo and Williams because they saw in practice that Hyppolite was closer to being ready to make a positive contribution.

People really don't have enough shame any more.

Reaction Score
McCombs has unreal lower body strength (better tha Hyppolite) and excellent speed. If he was operating in space he'd be a lot more effective, but he has been misused in a system who's O Line hasn't created the creases for him to run through and thus the short gains and total stuffs. Frankly, with this O line, these straight ahead plays would be just as unproductive with Hyppolite. The answer isn't simply Hyppolite, it's play action and misdirection to stop these 8 man fronts. Until we do that all of this Newtonian Calculus is meaningless.

Reaction Score
Hey If Tampa can win a Super Bowl with warrick Dunn I don't see how Lyle mccombs can't be successful at uconn. Both are good blockers and alway run falling forward and protect the ball.

Reaction Score
First, those are fabricated 40 times. Second, nice little analysis....but can the kids play football? There's a reason the fastest Olympic sprinters don't play in the NFL.
They make more money not getting hit?

Reaction Score
This discussion is truly amazing. Why? Because a clear majority of the posters who are totally convinced that Hyppolite needs to play more for McCombs were just as totally convinced five days ago that Hyppolite needed to be pushed down the depth chart so we could see the freshmen. And it doesn't appear to occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, the coaches were playing him ahead of Delorenzo and Williams because they saw in practice that Hyppolite was closer to being ready to make a positive contribution.

People really don't have enough shame any more.

People wanted Hypolite pushed down for Joe Williams? I'm not saying they didn't, but I don't recall that at all. I just remember people wanting another back to get carries. By the way, how do you know that Williams isn't better?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
it doesnt. it just puts proof to the theory that McCombs between the tackles wont work well

I joined the thread extremely late, so forgive me if this has been addressed, but you've proven nothing.

Allow me to get all scientific on you, one scientist to another. You are making an assumption that both running backs are running into a player in exactly the same fashion, and that the only difference is their weights. You and I (and everyone else, I presume) know that the premise is almost never true. The running back position is predicated on vision and actually AVOIDING the hit. Let's keep in mind that you did not calculate the force in Newtons of the opposing linebacker, which would in almost all cases be greater than either running back, resulting in both running backs going backwards irrespective of the difference between the two running backs (since the defensive players will outweigh Hyppolite by about 20 lbs.)!! (Not to mention, how many running backs enter the first hole at top speed?)

In summation, you and I both know that this is not a scientific proof of anything other than the following statement: if the two running backs hit an opposing player in exactly the same manner at exactly the same speed, Hyppolite has an advantage. That is of course true, but that did not require much mathematics...

Reaction Score
I joined the thread extremely late, so forgive me if this has been addressed, but you've proven nothing.

Allow me to get all scientific on you, one scientist to another. You are making an assumption that both running backs are running into a player in exactly the same fashion, and that the only difference is their weights. You and I (and everyone else, I presume) know that the premise is almost never true. The running back position is predicated on vision and actually AVOIDING the hit. Let's keep in mind that you did not calculate the force in Newtons of the opposing linebacker, which would in almost all cases be greater than either running back, resulting in both running backs going backwards irrespective of the difference between the two running backs (since the defensive players will outweigh Hyppolite by about 20 lbs.)!! (Not to mention, how many running backs enter the first hole at top speed?)

In summation, you and I both know that this is not a scientific proof of anything other than the following statement: if the two running backs hit an opposing player in exactly the same manner at exactly the same speed, Hyppolite has an advantage. That is of course true, but that did not require much mathematics...

Incorrect, running backs will be going at a much greater speed than the LB's and therefore the force, depending on the angle of LB tackle or direction and speed of his motion get over run by a heavier back more so than a lighter back. Include the fact that few tackles are head on but many shoulder/arm tackles the added weight will drive through some/many less than perfect angle tackles.

LM is often tackled one on one by CB and S and dropped without any forward progress, extra weight would help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom