50lb bag of sand. Ever get hit by one? Check out this RB comparison | Page 3 | The Boneyard

50lb bag of sand. Ever get hit by one? Check out this RB comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Incorrect, running backs will be going at a much greater speed than the LB's and therefore the force, depending on the angle of LB tackle or direction and speed of his motion get over run by a heavier back more so than a lighter back. Include the fact that few tackles are head on but many shoulder/arm tackles the added weight will drive through some/many less than perfect angle tackles.

LM is often tackled one on one by CB and S and dropped without any forward progress, extra weight would help here.

No, no, no, no....no. You are bringing into the equation the words "direction" and "angle". Again, as I've previously stated, that is not part of the equation that Cody presented. He is talking solely about a head-to-head hit. He has not accounted for glancing blows or even for either running back's ability to avoid a hit. In fact, assuming the same vision and same instincts, McCombs would have the advantage at only being hit by a glancing blow, as he is smaller.

And Cody also assumed that the running back would be achieving full speed (or close to it) at around 13mph. One cannot assume that without assuming it on the other side of the ball, as both the running back and the linebacker would have an equidistant approach to the point of contact. As far as proofs go, this isn't one. Period. (not trying to call Cody out, but it is what it is, and I'm sure as an engineer that he understands what I'm saying)

Now if we want to start talking about real football, where we can try to decide who has better vision to the holes, who has better lateral mobility, a better stiff-arm, a better understanding of the blocking schemes, etc., that's fine. But in terms of science, this ain't it...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Holy fack. I remember when this board was a football discussion.

Yeah, I know. Apologies. I knew that my post was going to take it to a weird place...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, I would like to get it back to a football discussion. I would love to compare and contrast the two players' abilities to hit the hole, read the hole, and their lateral movement capabilities. To be fair, I just haven't seen enough of Hyppolite to even comment intelligently on his capabilities...

Reaction Score
"Hey George, you shouldn't run McCombs up the middle. The Newtons are unfavorable, man. THE NEWTONS ARE UNFAVORABLE!"

Deleone: . . .

9210175-small.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Hey George, you shouldn't run McCombs up the middle. The Newtons are unfavorable, man. THE NEWTONS ARE UNFAVORABLE!"

9210175-small.jpg

I wish I could like this 1000 times.

Reaction Score
Love the post...Ironic the longest run this year is the 50 yarder by Hipp. That on a toss to the out side McCoombs should be running. Using Griff to block in the backfield to block on some plays?????????
Max averaged 5.5 vs UMASS on four carries and has played in four games and not touched the ball since.

PP has me confused as I am sure he does a lot of his players......

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

9210175-small.jpg

There just aren't many posts funnier than this one, my friend!! Well done. I'm still laughing!

pj

Reaction Score
DeLeone: But the defense knows it doesn't make sense to run McCombs up the middle. So let's surprise them and do it!

Reaction Score
Hey If Tampa can win a Super Bowl with warrick Dunn I don't see how Lyle mccombs can't be successful at uconn. Both are good blockers and alway run falling forward and protect the ball.
Actually, Michael Pittman and Mike Alstott were the backfield when they won the SB. Lots of Newtons there.

Reaction Score
I joined the thread extremely late, so forgive me if this has been addressed, but you've proven nothing.

Allow me to get all scientific on you, one scientist to another. You are making an assumption that both running backs are running into a player in exactly the same fashion, and that the only difference is their weights. You and I (and everyone else, I presume) know that the premise is almost never true. The running back position is predicated on vision and actually AVOIDING the hit. Let's keep in mind that you did not calculate the force in Newtons of the opposing linebacker, which would in almost all cases be greater than either running back, resulting in both running backs going backwards irrespective of the difference between the two running backs (since the defensive players will outweigh Hyppolite by about 20 lbs.)!! (Not to mention, how many running backs enter the first hole at top speed?)

In summation, you and I both know that this is not a scientific proof of anything other than the following statement: if the two running backs hit an opposing player in exactly the same manner at exactly the same speed, Hyppolite has an advantage. That is of course true, but that did not require much mathematics...
yeah, it was addressed already. I was just having fun with our players and some math. I didnt make any assumptions with my calculations and should have in order for it to hold true.
Just enough physics for the majority of people to get it. Not too much physics to where I get fired at work for doing math calculations all day figuring out what RB at what angle and velocity/acceleration is better hitting a hole. haha.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
yeah, it was addressed already. I was just having fun with our players and some math. I didnt make any assumptions with my calculations and should have in order for it to hold true.
Just enough physics for the majority of people to get it. Not too much physics to where I get fired at work for doing math calculations all day figuring out what RB at what angle and velocity/acceleration is better hitting a hole. haha.

I would have loved it if you could have brought in things like coefficients of friction and torsional strain ("deformation" to you engineers), just to see the reaction from the Boneyard!

Reaction Score
I would have loved it if you could have brought in things like coefficients of friction and torsional strain ("deformation" to you engineers), just to see the reaction from the Boneyard!

Coefficient of friction with cleats and grass? What about overturning moment?? There are so many factors to consider! Wind speed and direction as well as surface area and drag.

Reaction Score
Us chemistry guys think we can come up with a polymer for our uniforms that will decrease hydrogen bonding allowing our running back to have a zero coefficient of friction. He will slip out like an ice cube on a hot day

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I like where this is headed!!! I need to correct for some stuff, so how far above sea-level is Piscataway? ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Us chemistry guys think we can come up with a polymer for our uniforms that will decrease hydrogen bonding allowing our running back to have a zero coefficient of friction. He will slip out like an ice cube on a hot day

Hey! Fellow chemist! Nice. We'll have chats about Professor Bailey and Professor Howell in other threads where applicable. I knew there was something I liked about you!

Reaction Score
Hey! Fellow chemist! Nice. We'll have chats about Professor Bailey and Professor Howell in other threads where applicable. I knew there was something I liked about you!
As long as the topic will relate back to fermentation your on!! I had bailey for organic. I was pharmacy 96

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
As long as the topic will relate back to fermentation your on!! I had bailey for organic. I was pharmacy 96

I had Bailey for organic, too. We might have been in the same lecture hall, since I graduated in '97 (obviously). And fermentation is a favorite of mine....for obvious reasons.... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom