5 improvements UConn needs to make to keep winning.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

5 improvements UConn needs to make to keep winning....

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok...so you blew diet coke out of your nose while laughing your off.

Where exactly IS your nose?
If it was up your...... oh nevermind. :cool:

Reaction Score
Great comments from all. Kelly will be missed a lot on defense! She was all over the court and was the best conditioned player on the Huskies roster. As far as Brianna Banks goes it sometimes could take two years to completely come back from an ACL injury ,but hopefully for her it will be quicker.

Reaction Score
I know the chances of finding someone like Kelly Faris are unrealistic. If we could find someone with
just a touch of her attitude, athleticism, will to win, and just the willingness to throw her body around, and dare her opponent to score we would be in high heaven. Maybe we can not find one person with all Kelly's attributes, but perhaps 2 or 3 girls that step up and say, "Not on our watch" !
Just someone who understands the value of TEAM, and leaving it on the floor.
There probable will never, ever be another Kelly Faris, but you never know !

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No reason to believe that all of these players won't continue to improve. And put me on the Tuck bandwagon as well. I forget exactly which game in the tourney, but she had that steal just past the top of the key and beat all the smaller defenders to the hoop. That was some impressive quickness for her size.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I will avoid citing stats as I comment on a few things to expect from our upcoming team vs. the recent past.

Biggest change: More cheating (legitimately and strategically).

On defense, look for the guards (especially Moriah and Bria early, Saniya and Brianna later) to be much more aggressive on perimeter "D" and heavily reliant on "Help D," especially from the weak side. Opposing guards will feel constant pressure and if they attempt to drive to the hoop they can expect to have Stef, Stewie, Morgan or Kiah to greet them.

Similarly, when opponents shoot from 15+ feet, there will be lots of rebounds for Stef, Stewie, Morgan or Kiah to snag. Kaleena will grab her share, too. And Bria and Moriah will often cheat by taking off downcourt for long passes from a rebounder. With our dominant rebounders and speedy guards, transition baskets on fast breaks will generate lots of points and disrupt opponents' offenses by keeping them "on their heels," so to speak.

And I haven't even begun to discuss trapping of opponents' guards in their back court by Moriah, Bria and Stewie.......

Reaction Score
Kelly was a category-defining defender for sure. But what impressed me most about UCONN's defense -- a quality that could very well be back next year -- was how effectively and consistently they worked together. Everybody knew what to do and did it with unrelenting energy. It was beautiful.

Maybe I'm imagining this, but in my view, this defensive effectiveness reflected the admirably healthy and cohesive family unit they became. The higher profile players, the natural leaders and tone-setters, were just as interested and involved in the group as anyone, and worked just as hard. When there was a stoppage in play, they rushed together more quickly than other teams did. They seemed eager to connect and communicate. Facial expressions consistently conveyed support and appreciation and enjoyment of each other. I had the impression that they talked to each other a lot on defense. (Folks who've seen the in person might be able to speak to this.)

This isn't a surprise when you consider the investment of the coaching staff in forming a strong and happy community and in bringing in girls of solid character. This year it coalesced into a culture that I expect to carry over to next year.

Reaction Score
In keeping with Geno's mantra that "improvement is always possible", here's a short list of five areas UConn can work on to make this coming season the success we all hope it will be:

1. Brianna Banks has to return to the form she flashed just before her injury. She doesn't need to be there Day 1, but hopefully halfway through the season. UConn lost 9 years of experience at guard with Faris and Doty, and 1,787 minutes of playing time last season.Banks will need to log many of those minutes to lessen the pressure on Jefferson and Chong. She needs to handle the ball, penetrate the lane, draw fouls and make up for Faris' 96 lost steals. Her 33 free throws in just 359 minutes is testimony to her ability with the ball. (Jefferson had only 25 free throws in 677 minutes.) Banks also had 25 steals in those limited minutes and could add 50 more playing 900-1,000 minutes this season. Her 48% shooting could improve a bit as well and provide yet another option on offense.

2. Morgan Tuck needs to be the versatile and reliable back-up to the best front line in the nation. All-American Dolson, All-American KML and All-World Stewart. Those three averaged a total of 80.7 minutes per game, out of a possible 120 (3 players x 40 minutes per). Tuck and Kiah Stokes are the only two other bigs on the roster. Tuck's 15 minutes per game needs to be 20-25 per to save wear and tear on the others. UConn lost 223 rebounds with Faris gone, 4th behind Dolson (269), KML (240) and Stewie (229). Tuck needs to at least double her 120 rebounds and raise her 6.4 point scoring average to over 10 pts per game. (Faris average was 10.2 per.) Mixing and matching a healthy Tuck with her low post moves and 3 pt. shooting with Dolson, KML and Stewie creates match-up nightmares for opponents. And finally, Tuck needs to improve her 28.9% shooting on 3's (13 for 45).

3. Breanna Stewart finished last year with a scoring, rebounding and blocked shot performance for the ages. In the last two games she scored 52 points, went 7 for 8 on 3's and grabbed 14 rebounds. She also had 7 blocked shots! For the season, Stewie led the team with 57 blocks in her first 31 games. But in 5 tournament games, she had 17 blocks for a 3.4 per game average. Over a full season that comes out to over 130 blocks. Griner was 6'8" with a 7'4" "wingspan". Stewie is 6'4", but has a 7'1" reach. And she is deceptively athletic. She can become the kind of shot blocker that shuts down the lane, lets guards go for steals knowing they have help behind and keeps many smaller opponents from even trying "normal" shots out of fear of being stuffed.

4. Bria Hartley was an All-American, the year before last, when she scored 533 points on 46.5% shooting. Last year, slowed by injury, she scored only 342 points on 39.1% accuracy. With Banks and Jefferson playing much of the point, Bria can become more of a shooting guard. She can still lead fast breaks and drive the lane, but UConn needs Bria to get her scoring touch back. She missed 104 3's and made an anemic 29.7% from outside the arc. In addition, her 86 turnovers led the team. Shoot better and turn the ball over less.

5. Last year UConn was a walking M.A.S.H. unit. The most serious injury was Brianna Banks' knee, which cost her half the season. But only two players (Faris and Jefferson) played in all 39 games. Seven other missed games with nagging injuries and were less effective when they did come back. Dolson actually played in 38 of 39 and was remarkable in the tournament despite injuries to both legs/feet. UConn could use better health this year with only 9 scholarship players and a long season with lots of travel. Not sure how to "improve" in the injury area, but it would sure be nice to have all nine healthy and fit.
Go Huskies.
Five factors, hmmmm.
Any 2 -3, NC.
4 or more, undefeated!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think that with the layoff and the effects of the ACL, Banks will not likely be a big piece of the puzzle until late in the year. Anything earlier is a bonus. Even then we're still talking about getting her back to where she was, which is never a given with ACLs. With luck she will recover most if not all of her explosiveness in that leg, and the add'l experience gained will result in an even better player next year.

Morgan will be fine - she is self motivated, poised and polished, and she will continue to improve. No worries there. In Morgan I Trust.

Most critical will be the play of MoJeff and Bria on the perimeter. We have a phenomenal eraser in B Stewart but to be truly dominant our current crew of guards will have to step it up in Kelly's absence. As a frosh, Chong is a wild card. If Mo and Bria can use the first half of the season to tighten things up as a duo, then we will be in great shape. Mo, like BB, is better at harassing/trapping and steals than she is at keeping guards--especially bigger ones--in front of her, but she is improving. Bria is also much improved over her 3 yrs but likewise is no Kelly Faris on the defensive end. This is no slight to either player but rather a salute to Kelly as one of UCONN's all-time great defenders. None of this will matter much against all but a handful of teams, but it is probably our only real question mark.

I think the UCONN season scoring record is toast next year.....the only question is will we be able to eclipse the 'scoring margin' record as well? That depends on our perimeter defense and to a lesser extent on our guard play at the offensive end.

Bottom line: if Mo takes a big step forward this year, this could be a team for the ages even by UCONN standards. If she has a sophomore slump or otherwise struggles, we will be merely 'awesome.'

:)
This is all wonderful reading. One of the issues I would raise is defense. What we are losing in that regard with Kelly's graduation is extraordinary and will be tough to replace. Who will pick up the slack? KLM made great strides this year in many ways...Do you think that Chong will lend herself well to defensive manoeuvres?
if she wants to play bad enough she will!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
This team will set new records in the next 4 years..........Enjoy the ride!!!
Next 3 anyway- not sure about 4 unless we land a great Big?

Reaction Score
Our team is a powerhouse so not everything needs to go right. This year I'm looking forward to all the players to see how they will improve. Here are a few but not limited to:

I'd love to see KML be able to take players off the dribble better.

I'd love to be able to see Stewie crush teams/ other smaller players down low (mouse in the house) and rebound better. She proved she can whip them from outside.

I'd love to be able to see Hartley, Jefferson and Tuck shoot the ball much better (especially the guards) from the outside.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kelly was a category-defining defender for sure. But what impressed me most about UCONN's defense -- a quality that could very well be back next year -- was how effectively and consistently they worked together. Everybody knew what to do and did it with unrelenting energy. It was beautiful.
I think one of the pluses next year will having to only integrate 1 new player. Although more difficult on the one player, the team I think benefits.

And welcome aboard Grayjay.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
gray and meyers...agree w/ Kelly being "category defining" defender and the benefit of only needing to integrate one player into defensive scheme... Still think Kelly's lasting legacy will be the impression she made on KML and her class and Stewie and her group. They showed up as wide-eyed freshmen and saw Faris, a starter and National Champion, practice and play like a banshee. Throwing herself all over the court, improving every day and being unselfish in every way possible. Now the latest freshman will show up and see KML, All-American, and Stewie, Tourny MOP, working hard when no one is watching, doing whatever is needed and always putting TEAM first... and it isn't just KML and Stewie...Bria, Dolson and all the rest seem to be all about TEAM and willing to fill any role needed...Go Huskies..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom