5 improvements UConn needs to make to keep winning.... | The Boneyard

5 improvements UConn needs to make to keep winning....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
In keeping with Geno's mantra that "improvement is always possible", here's a short list of five areas UConn can work on to make this coming season the success we all hope it will be:

1. Brianna Banks has to return to the form she flashed just before her injury. She doesn't need to be there Day 1, but hopefully halfway through the season. UConn lost 9 years of experience at guard with Faris and Doty, and 1,787 minutes of playing time last season.Banks will need to log many of those minutes to lessen the pressure on Jefferson and Chong. She needs to handle the ball, penetrate the lane, draw fouls and make up for Faris' 96 lost steals. Her 33 free throws in just 359 minutes is testimony to her ability with the ball. (Jefferson had only 25 free throws in 677 minutes.) Banks also had 25 steals in those limited minutes and could add 50 more playing 900-1,000 minutes this season. Her 48% shooting could improve a bit as well and provide yet another option on offense.

2. Morgan Tuck needs to be the versatile and reliable back-up to the best front line in the nation. All-American Dolson, All-American KML and All-World Stewart. Those three averaged a total of 80.7 minutes per game, out of a possible 120 (3 players x 40 minutes per). Tuck and Kiah Stokes are the only two other bigs on the roster. Tuck's 15 minutes per game needs to be 20-25 per to save wear and tear on the others. UConn lost 223 rebounds with Faris gone, 4th behind Dolson (269), KML (240) and Stewie (229). Tuck needs to at least double her 120 rebounds and raise her 6.4 point scoring average to over 10 pts per game. (Faris average was 10.2 per.) Mixing and matching a healthy Tuck with her low post moves and 3 pt. shooting with Dolson, KML and Stewie creates match-up nightmares for opponents. And finally, Tuck needs to improve her 28.9% shooting on 3's (13 for 45).

3. Breanna Stewart finished last year with a scoring, rebounding and blocked shot performance for the ages. In the last two games she scored 52 points, went 7 for 8 on 3's and grabbed 14 rebounds. She also had 7 blocked shots! For the season, Stewie led the team with 57 blocks in her first 31 games. But in 5 tournament games, she had 17 blocks for a 3.4 per game average. Over a full season that comes out to over 130 blocks. Griner was 6'8" with a 7'4" "wingspan". Stewie is 6'4", but has a 7'1" reach. And she is deceptively athletic. She can become the kind of shot blocker that shuts down the lane, lets guards go for steals knowing they have help behind and keeps many smaller opponents from even trying "normal" shots out of fear of being stuffed.

4. Bria Hartley was an All-American, the year before last, when she scored 533 points on 46.5% shooting. Last year, slowed by injury, she scored only 342 points on 39.1% accuracy. With Banks and Jefferson playing much of the point, Bria can become more of a shooting guard. She can still lead fast breaks and drive the lane, but UConn needs Bria to get her scoring touch back. She missed 104 3's and made an anemic 29.7% from outside the arc. In addition, her 86 turnovers led the team. Shoot better and turn the ball over less.

5. Last year UConn was a walking M.A.S.H. unit. The most serious injury was Brianna Banks' knee, which cost her half the season. But only two players (Faris and Jefferson) played in all 39 games. Seven other missed games with nagging injuries and were less effective when they did come back. Dolson actually played in 38 of 39 and was remarkable in the tournament despite injuries to both legs/feet. UConn could use better health this year with only 9 scholarship players and a long season with lots of travel. Not sure how to "improve" in the injury area, but it would sure be nice to have all nine healthy and fit.
Go Huskies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would not say "HAS" to make for some of them but they are all things that certainly will help UCONN to keep on winning.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think that with the layoff and the effects of the ACL, Banks will not likely be a big piece of the puzzle until late in the year. Anything earlier is a bonus. Even then we're still talking about getting her back to where she was, which is never a given with ACLs. With luck she will recover most if not all of her explosiveness in that leg, and the add'l experience gained will result in an even better player next year.

Morgan will be fine - she is self motivated, poised and polished, and she will continue to improve. No worries there. In Morgan I Trust.

Most critical will be the play of MoJeff and Bria on the perimeter. We have a phenomenal eraser in B Stewart but to be truly dominant our current crew of guards will have to step it up in Kelly's absence. As a frosh, Chong is a wild card. If Mo and Bria can use the first half of the season to tighten things up as a duo, then we will be in great shape. Mo, like BB, is better at harassing/trapping and steals than she is at keeping guards--especially bigger ones--in front of her, but she is improving. Bria is also much improved over her 3 yrs but likewise is no Kelly Faris on the defensive end. This is no slight to either player but rather a salute to Kelly as one of UCONN's all-time great defenders. None of this will matter much against all but a handful of teams, but it is probably our only real question mark.

I think the UCONN season scoring record is toast next year.....the only question is will we be able to eclipse the 'scoring margin' record as well? That depends on our perimeter defense and to a lesser extent on our guard play at the offensive end.

Bottom line: if Mo takes a big step forward this year, this could be a team for the ages even by UCONN standards. If she has a sophomore slump or otherwise struggles, we will be merely 'awesome.'

:)

Reaction Score
In keeping with Geno's mantra that "improvement is always possible", here's a short list of five areas UConn can work on to make this coming season the success we all hope it will be:

1. Brianna Banks has to return to the form she flashed just before her injury. She doesn't need to be there Day 1, but hopefully halfway through the season. UConn lost 9 years of experience at guard with Faris and Doty, and 1,787 minutes of playing time last season.Banks will need to log many of those minutes to lessen the pressure on Jefferson and Chong. She needs to handle the ball, penetrate the lane, draw fouls and make up for Faris' 96 lost steals. Her 33 free throws in just 359 minutes is testimony to her ability with the ball. (Jefferson had only 25 free throws in 677 minutes.) Banks also had 25 steals in those limited minutes and could add 50 more playing 900-1,000 minutes this season. Her 48% shooting could improve a bit as well and provide yet another option on offense.

2. Morgan Tuck needs to be the versatile and reliable back-up to the best front line in the nation. All-American Dolson, All-American KML and All-World Stewart. Those three averaged a total of 80.7 minutes per game, out of a possible 120 (3 players x 40 minutes per). Tuck and Kiah Stokes are the only two other bigs on the roster. Tuck's 15 minutes per game needs to be 20-25 per to save wear and tear on the others. UConn lost 223 rebounds with Faris gone, 4th behind Dolson (269), KML (240) and Stewie (229). Tuck needs to at least double her 120 rebounds and raise her 6.4 point scoring average to over 10 pts per game. (Faris average was 10.2 per.) Mixing and matching a healthy Tuck with her low post moves and 3 pt. shooting with Dolson, KML and Stewie creates match-up nightmares for opponents. And finally, Tuck needs to improve her 28.9% shooting on 3's (13 for 45).

3. Breanna Stewart finished last year with a scoring, rebounding and blocked shot performance for the ages. In the last two games she scored 52 points, went 7 for 8 on 3's and grabbed 14 rebounds. She also had 7 blocked shots! For the season, Stewie led the team with 57 blocks in her first 31 games. But in 5 tournament games, she had 17 blocks for a 3.4 per game average. Over a full season that comes out to over 130 blocks. Griner was 6'8" with a 7'4" "wingspan". Stewie is 6'4", but has a 7'1" reach. And she is deceptively athletic. She can become the kind of shot blocker that shuts down the lane, lets guards go for steals knowing they have help behind and keeps many smaller opponents from even trying "normal" shots out of fear of being stuffed.

4. Bria Hartley was an All-American, the year before last, when she scored 533 points on 46.5% shooting. Last year, slowed by injury, she scored only 342 points on 39.1% accuracy. With Banks and Jefferson playing much of the point, Bria can become more of a shooting guard. She can still lead fast breaks and drive the lane, but UConn needs Bria to get her scoring touch back. She missed 104 3's and made an anemic 29.7% from outside the arc. In addition, her 86 turnovers led the team. Shoot better and turn the ball over less.

5. Last year UConn was a walking M.A.S.H. unit. The most serious injury was Brianna Banks' knee, which cost her half the season. But only two players (Faris and Jefferson) played in all 39 games. Seven other missed games with nagging injuries and were less effective when they did come back. Dolson actually played in 38 of 39 and was remarkable in the tournament despite injuries to both legs/feet. UConn could use better health this year with only 9 scholarship players and a long season with lots of travel. Not sure how to "improve" in the injury area, but it would sure be nice to have all nine healthy and fit.
Go Huskies.

David, even though I don't post much on here (trying to fix that), I have enjoyed your posts.

I also think that Jefferson needs to shoot the ball better from oustide. She is very capable of hitting her shots but she needs to be more consistant. Other than that she (Jefferson) is a terror on D and can use both hands dribbling and laying it up. I just want her to improve her shot.

I've heard that the biggest improvements to ones game is from freshman year to sophmore, and I belive this to be true for our freshmen. (Although each was good, very good at times)

Reaction Score
I think that with the layoff and the effects of the ACL, Banks will not likely be a big piece of the puzzle until late in the year. Anything earlier is a bonus. Even then we're still talking about getting her back to where she was, which is never a given with ACLs. With luck she will recover most if not all of her explosiveness in that leg, and the add'l experience gained will result in an even better player next year.

Morgan will be fine - she is self motivated, poised and polished, and she will continue to improve. No worries there. In Morgan I Trust.

Most critical will be the play of MoJeff and Bria on the perimeter. We have a phenomenal eraser in B Stewart but to be truly dominant our current crew of guards will have to step it up in Kelly's absence. As a frosh, Chong is a wild card. If Mo and Bria can use the first half of the season to tighten things up as a duo, then we will be in great shape. Mo, like BB, is better at harassing/trapping and steals than she is at keeping guards--especially bigger ones--in front of her, but she is inproving. Bria is also much improved over her 3 yrs but likewise is no Kelly Faris on the defensive end. This is no slight to either player but rather a salute to Kelly as one of UCONN's all-time great defenders. None of this will matter much against all but a handful if teams, but it is probably our only real question mark.

I think the UCONN season scoring record is toast next year.....the only question is will we be able to eclipse the 'scoring margin' record as well? That depends on our perimeter defense and to a lesser extent on our guard play at the offensive end.

Bottom line: if Mo takes a big step forward this year, this could be a team for the ages even by UCONN standards. If she has a sophomore slump or otherwise struggles, we will be merely 'awesome.'

:)

Didn't see this VA until I posted my reply. I bascially said the same thing you said regarding MoJeff.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
VA and tone, ,agree completely with both of you....UConn has 4 guards to work with...oddly, Bria, the Senior ,is comng off her worst year. Banks, the Junior, was hurt 1/2 the year. Both need to bounce back...Jefferson will get better, no doubt. Chong is truly the wild card. She could be a real surprise by providing quality minutes while Banks gets to 100%... 4 guards, 4 story lines....stay tuned...Go Huskies...

HGN

Reaction Score
If the team can just stay healthy, and if Chong and Stokes can provide quality depth and play off the bench.......WOW !! Look out WCBB.

The other thing I see is , hopefully Geno plays his bench more. Take some of the wear and tear off the starters since the team will be a little short-handed with only nine(9) scholarship players (may get 1-2 walk-on's.).

Keys will be Health and quality Bench Play.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In keeping with Geno's mantra that "improvement is always possible",

1. Brianna Banks has to return to the form she flashed just before her injury.

2. Morgan Tuck needs to be the versatile and reliable back-up to the best front line in the nation.

3. Breanna Stewart ... is deceptively athletic.

4. Bria Hartley was an All-American, the year before last
Go Huskies.

1. There's no guarantee that Banks will be back at 100%. As all Husky fans, we hope it will be a Sue Bird recovery but one never knows. Cross fingers on this one. The improvement in her game between season 1 and 2 was one of the most remarkable I've ever seen, in her freshman year she was truly a lost soul.
  2. The limit in Morgan's minutes (even late, after her injury problems were minimal) will always be a mystery to me. She is positioned to mimic Asia's career and is likely to be a second or third team All-America candidate. Relegating her to "back-up" is a serious underestimation (Even if you can't play 4 forwards).
  3. "Deceptively athletic"? How about unf---ing unbelievable athletic.
  4. I have supreme confidence that Bria and MoJeff will have wonderful years
Wild Card: Kiah. Oh, would I love her to pick up some of her Dad's moves.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
  1. There's no guarantee that Banks will be back at 100%.
  2. The limit in Morgan's minutes (even late, after her injury problems were minimal) will always be a mystery to me. Relegating her to "back-up" is a serious underestimation (Even if you can't play 4 forwards).
  3. "Deceptively athletic"? How about unf---ing unbelievable athletic.
  4. I have supreme confidence that Bria and MoJeff will have wonderful years.
Agree on #1.
Who you going to "relegate" to the bench, KML, Dolson or Stewart? If they were healthy, would you really start Tuck?
Lebron James is "unf----g unbeleivable athletic", Stewie is not.
I'm thrilled you have "supreme confidence". I hope you are 100% right.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Things I'll be looking for early:

1. Whether Bria will be back to sophomore form or better.

2. Whether Stef looks like she did throughout most of last season and not like she did at its conclusion.

3. Which areas of improvement KML has focused on in the offseason.

4. Breanna's physical strength.

5. MoJeff- can she make a sophomore leap forward?

If those questions have positive answers, Uconn goes 39-0 and may not be significantly challenged.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"Deceptively athletic"? How about unf---ing unbelievable athletic.

It's a fair descriptor if you take it the way that both CD and Geno have used it in the past. Of course they both say she can do amazing things on the court. But they both also say that when you first look at her and see her walking around, she doesn't look like an athletic phenom. That's the deceptive part.

CD goes further in saying that Breanna's timing is, in some ways, not very good. Timing is part of athleticism. (Hopefully as she gains experience her timing will improve going forward. I think part of it is that until fairly recently, she was still growing. Remember not that long ago her nickname was 6'10"; now her reach is 7'1". Give her another year or two to get used to the 'same body' and just imagine what she will do... :) )

Reaction Score
Yo, all - this thread is like the UCONN squad: great stuff from top to bottom. Very interesting, and not much to take the opposite side on (for a change ;) ).
One thing I would add is just a repeat of my earlier thought that Chong might really deliver in spades and in several to many categories.
Also, I keep getting the feeling, from reading Geno's comments re the new league, that he might be setting up to do one of his best coaching jobs yet. Just a hunch of course, but with first year of a new conference, a new group of league coaches across from him, a terrific bunch of kids (both as players and as people) to lead, perhaps a bit of a chip on the shoulder, I do have this feeling.................

Reaction Score
Doty was right: "Eight feels great!" I'm NOT counting any chickens here, but it coulld be said that "Nine is sublime."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I am much more optomistic about her recovery than most here. I've seen Kamiko Williams (Tennessee guard) come back in 6 months. Not to her full level of play right away, but making solid contributions while playing. There have been other examples of players coming back quicky. UConn only needs 15-20 minutes from her this year. Once Hartley graduates, Banks will get 20-25 in 2014-15. In regards to making up stats, when you are talking about one player graduating (Faris) her stats will be easily made up among the returning players. I will take 48% shooting from a guard for the rest of her career and be very happy.

If by back-up, you mean coming off the bench, I agree. But she is not a starter in name only. Tuck (once healthy) played the solid post offense and defense that UConn expected from her. With increased minutes, you will see increased production. I also expect her to shoot better from the outside. She really is an excellent 3 point shooter. Again, making up Faris's stats won't be a problem. I can see Stewart grabing 2 more a game and Tuck 2-3. I'll be half of Faris scoring (5 points a game) will be made up by Stewart. Not to mention Hartley will be back in double figures.

Not sure what you are saying other than we need to have the tournament Stewart be the 2013-14 Stewart. I agree!!!! And why the heck not??

Do you play golf? Last year is a mulligan. I fully expect the best from Hartley we have seen so far. But with all the talent on this team, her stats won't be overwhelming. There is NO way she shoots uner 40% from the field and under 30% on 3's. She won't be a KML, but 45% and 35% would be great. More than that would be gravy.

Go Huskies.

How do you improve the injury area? Just have a normal year. I looked back at games played over the last 5-6 seasons and with 2 players able to play every game last season, it was an anomoly. They usually average 4-6 players able to play every game.

I just can't go into a season thinking about injuries. You can't control them and it could happen to any player, so how to you analyze a season based on that.

I just assume everyone will be healthy and adjust from there. And that being the case, this will be a very special season.

Love your posts. Great conversation starters in the off season. Keep em coming.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
This is all wonderful reading. One of the issues I would raise is defense. What we are losing in that regard with Kelly's graduation is extraordinary and will be tough to replace. Who will pick up the slack? KLM made great strides this year in many ways...Do you think that Chong will lend herself well to defensive manoeuvres?

Reaction Score
This is all wonderful reading. One of the issues I would raise is defense. What we are losing in that regard with Kelly's graduation is extraordinary and will be tough to replace. Who will pick up the slack? KLM made great strides this year in many ways...Do you think that Chong will lend herself well to defensive manoeuvres?

Semper, I don't think Geno will have any problems getting Chong to commit to defense....;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's a fair descriptor if you take it the way that both CD and Geno have used it in the past. Of course they both say she can do amazing things on the court. But they both also say that when you first look at her and see her walking around, she doesn't look like an athletic phenom. That's the deceptive part.

CD goes further in saying that Breanna's timing is, in some ways, not very good. Timing is part of athleticism. (Hopefully as she gains experience her timing will improve going forward. I think part of it is that until fairly recently, she was still growing. Remember not that long ago her nickname was 6'10"; now her reach is 7'1". Give her another year or two to get used to the 'same body' and just imagine what she will do... :) )
Well then I guess it's deceptively unf---ing unbelievable athletic. (to be more correct though, it would be deceptively unf---ing believably athletic) :D

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Well then I guess it's deceptively unf---ing unbelievable athletic. (to be more correct though, it would be deceptively unf---ing believably athletic) :D

Hmm..... I'll leave the word parsing to you grammarians on this one....!

:p

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bria Hartley's defense by the NCAA was absolutely the best I ever saw from her. And I expect the offense to be back on track with an injury free off season and less pressure from having Stewie and the others on form.
KML will be amazing and may prove almost Kelly's equal defensively - the improvement and pride she was taking in that aspect of her game was Kelly's greatest gift to the future.
I certainly hope Banks is able to return in good shape, expect the physical side by the beginning of practice, the mental side by the later stages of the season.
Kiah - this is the year and I believe she will arrive.
MoJeff - agree on the need for the outside shot but even if she continues to struggle there, the late stage MoJeff from last year was pretty great.
Stef - please god let her be healthy! Evrything else is great!
Stewie - no problems mate!
Morgan - began to see the real player late in the season and have no doubt that will continue to be the norm - huge upside.
Chong - I think she will be good. And she might just be great - AAC FOY.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score

meyers... I just laughed diet Coke out of my nose when I read this... I will agree....lmao

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

meyers... I just laughed diet Coke out of my nose when I read this... I will agree....lmao
Ok...so you blew diet coke out of your nose while laughing your off.

Where exactly IS your nose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom