4-8 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

4-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A) We're due a victory against them. B) This Cincy team blows. They barely took care of 0-4 Miami (OH). Yes, we are not good either, but at least we are at home. The only reason we are not 4-0 is bad strategy and play calling. I didn't think we were going to win the Cincy game at the beginning of the year, but given the way they are playing and if Diaco can avoid Diacoing, I think we will win at home.

That Cincy/Miami game is always close. I would not use that as a barometer. I actually think Cincy may be better this year than last year as their defense looks to be improved quite a bit. Cincy played a first year backup qb the entire game.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
A) We're due a victory against them. B) This Cincy team blows. They barely took care of 0-4 Miami (OH). Yes, we are not good either, but at least we are at home. The only reason we are not 4-0 is bad strategy and play calling. I didn't think we were going to win the Cincy game at the beginning of the year, but given the way they are playing and if Diaco can avoid Diacoing, I think we will win at home.

"...and if Diaco can avoid Diacoing,..."

True enough, but the implications of this statement are chilling, because every single game is going to depend on Diaco not acting like himself. For those who are resigned to him being here for two more seasons beyond this one because we can't afford to get rid of him, think about this: can the football program afford to hang its hopes on Diaco not Diacoing for the next 32 regular season games?

Reaction Score
I think you need to look at the rest of the schedule this way...besides the houston and cinci games, every game will be close and it comes down to Bobby either making the right calls at the end of the game or more likely making the wrong calls. With this caliber of play we won't be XII bound anyway so lets not hang on every play.

Reaction Score
For hope we could look back to the 2010 season. We started that season 3-4 and were coming off a bad loss to Rutgers followed by a horrible 26-0 loss to Louisville with West Virginia on the horizon. I remember threads on the Boneyard after that loss saying we won't win another game and calling for Randy Edsall's job. Following that loss we beat West Virginia for the first time and did not lose another game until the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
Can 't see better than 5-7. Any chance for better than that went out the window against Navy and Cuse.

I don't think Diaco is going anywhere. Just have to hope he loosens the reins and delegates to assistants.

Reaction Score
You may as well say they are going to move to a stadium on Mars.
The Big IO did take Maryland & Rutgers 2 AAU schools not very good in sports maybe Maryland in Lax
What does UCONN have to offer NCAA Champs in men & women BB, m&w soccer, baseball, Field hockey,Tennis Golf, and Ice hockey that the BIG IO is trying to develop

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big IO did take Maryland & Rutgers 2 AAU schools not very good in sports maybe Maryland in Lax
What does UCONN have to offer NCAA Champs in men & women BB, m&w soccer, baseball, Field hockey,Tennis Golf, and Ice hockey that the BIG IO is trying to develop

You what UConn doesn't offer?

The only thing that matters.

Enough revenue for the conference to make adding them make sense.

Reaction Score
[
QUOTE="whaler11, post: 1821182, member: 676"]You what UConn doesn't offer?

Enough revenue for the conference to make adding them make sense.[/QUOTE

Um lets see(1) NY & Boston markets (2) UCONN basketball who would not want to see UCONN MBB against OHIO ST or MICHIGAN
MICHIGAN ST , PURDUE or INDIANA TV revenue for the BIG IO Network all year long not just SEPT to DEC $$$
but again 1st AAU status I dont think Maryland & Rutgers are bringing in BILLIONS

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
[
QUOTE="whaler11, post: 1821182, member: 676"]You what UConn doesn't offer?

Enough revenue for the conference to make adding them make sense.[/QUOTE

Um lets see(1) NY & Boston markets (2) UCONN basketball who would not want to see UCONN MBB against OHIO ST or MICHIGAN
MICHIGAN ST , PURDUE or INDIANA TV revenue for the BIG IO Network all year long not just SEPT to DEC $$$
but again 1st AAU status I dont think Maryland & Rutgers are bringing in BILLIONS

Yeah you don't really get how any of this works.

There is a whole board full of information if you'd like to get yourself up to speed.

Reaction Score
Yeah you don't really get how any of this works.

There is a whole board full of information if you'd like to get yourself up to speed

FILL ME IN still looking for that stadium on Mars

Reaction Score
LOL...

Finsih Him2.gif

Reaction Score
For hope we could look back to the 2010 season. We started that season 3-4 and were coming off a bad loss to Rutgers followed by a horrible 26-0 loss to Louisville with West Virginia on the horizon. I remember threads on the Boneyard after that loss saying we won't win another game and calling for Randy Edsall's job. Following that loss we beat West Virginia for the first time and did not lose another game until the Fiesta Bowl.
Remember that season well. Listened to the Rutgers game the night before we went to South Africa and damn near ground my teeth down in frustration. Then coming back we were sitting on the ground in Dakar at three in the morning and I got the bright idea to check the Louisville score. Even worse frustration level. But then things got miraculously better.

Reaction Score
I see a final record of 4-8, does this get Diaco canned or do we continue with the sinking ship? Any other predictions on final record?
Regardless of whether or not UConn goes 4-8, I think the premise here is that they do. And the question is, if they do, what then transpires? Personally I think the odds of a coaching change probably rise a bit above 50%.

But coaching changes are very disruptive (and expensive). New playbook, new philosophies, and coaches seem to adopt whatever has worked for them in the past rather than going through an analytical period evaluating personnel, hiring a staff adept at coaching the new philosophies, yadda yadda yadda. There is no time for any of that. They gotta hire a new staff absolutely ASAP, prevent current players and recruits from defecting, get out on the recruiting trail, put together a new playbook, etc. All in a very few weeks. So they go with what they know and work with their professional and friends network to find staff and hire quickly. Then there is the issue of returning players learning the new playbook and the techniques required to execute it. Add that to the new regime doing game coaching for the long term rather than the short term and you have a setback of a year of two at least.

If I had to guess I would guess that Bennedict gives Diaco one more year under this scenario even though my brain says he would probably act immediately.

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether or not UConn goes 4-8, I think the premise here is that they do. And the question is, if they do, what then transpires? Personally I think the odds of a coaching change probably rise a bit above 50%.

But coaching changes are very disruptive (and expensive). New playbook, new philosophies, and coaches seem to adopt whatever has worked for them in the past rather than going through an analytical period evaluating personnel, hiring a staff adept at coaching the new philosophies, yadda yadda yadda. There is no time for any of that. They gotta hire a new staff absolutely ASAP, prevent current players and recruits from defecting, get out on the recruiting trail, put together a new playbook, etc. All in a very few weeks. So they go with what they know and work with their professional and friends network to find staff and hire quickly. Then there is the issue of returning players learning the new playbook and the techniques required to execute it. Add that to the new regime doing game coaching for the long term rather than the short term and you have a setback of a year of two at least.

If I had to guess I would guess that Bennedict gives Diaco one more year under this scenario even though my brain says he would probably act immediately.
I think this is right but my only caveat is that if we are 1-3 after 4 games next year it will be clean out gor desk time for Diaco. I say 1-3 because a loss to Holy Cross would be beyond unthinkable even for him. I would also add that under 4 wins this year greatly increases the odds of a change.

Reaction Score
If we end up 4-8 I would vote for a change.

The good news is that there is a much better foundation here - so that if we got the right person we would not have to tear down and rebuild.

Reaction Score
The issue is that once you are comfortable that the guy you have can't deliver what you need it is a mistake to try and give him one more try. You just need to move on. In the long term its best for your program and probably for the coach too. Had Warde followed his head and removed Pasqualoni after year instead of tinkering we would likely be in a better place now. We really can't afford to go through that again. We are only 1/3 through the the season so it is possible that this turns around. I think it is improbable but I a small spark of hope remains. But I also have a very real concern that we will be stuck on 2 heading to ECU and for all intents and purposes the season will be over by Halloween. Benedict won't be too thrilled if Temple and Tulane are played in front of friends and family even if we manage to grab a win somewhere.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't see how Diaco would get fired in the middle of a season.

There isn't anyone who could take the interim tag.

If he gets fired it would be at the end of the 2017 season. I really don't see it happening before then and I sort of wish people would stop hammering on it for a while since it's a bit counterproductive.

I get wanting him gone - but it's silly 4 games into this season so why not let the season breathe and campaign at the end?

Reaction Score
I don't see how Diaco would get fired in the middle of a season.

There isn't anyone who could take the interim tag.

If he gets fired it would be at the end of the 2017 season. I really don't see it happening before then and I sort of wish people would stop hammering on it for a while since it's a bit counterproductive.

I get wanting him gone - but it's silly 4 games into this season so why not let the season breathe and campaign at the end?
Lets be really clear. None of the chatter on this board is going to have any influence and nothing said here can be viewed as a campaign. It is more venting than anything else.

Reaction Score
I went too high with my 4-8 prediction. Diaco is somehow even worse than the garbage coach I knew he was. Fire the clown.

Reaction Score
I agree superjohn start looking now i see Les Miles is available what do you think Whaler 11

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yikes... reading some of these posts from a month ago. So much hope..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom