4-8 | The Boneyard

4-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Best case 5-7. If we get into B12 somehow I'd can him, if not we're stuck with him

I see a final record of 4-8, does this get Diaco canned or do we continue with the sinking ship? Any other predictions on final record?

Reaction Score
I give him year 4 no matter what. There is something to be said for giving a guy a fair shot. Diaco's approach would work well over 6 years or so if he hired a modern approach OC and let him do his thing. We don't have that much time to wait and he seems unwilling to keep his hands off the offense.

Reaction Score
I think he's gone with 5 wins or less but Benedict knows what's out there and I don't. There isn't an HC on the staff but I wish I could have seen what AP could do with defense without being micromanaged. Same for FV, I think.

Reaction Score
Have to go outside the family, much like Ollie did with hiring Killings. While jury is still out on BB recruits, recruiting has presumably picked up since That hire. Maybe can't be done in football with just one "outsider", I have no clue, but if nothing is done, can't see a way out of this mess given the LIMITED amount of time to develop a viable, sustainable program.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Extremely bad timing for a loss to the likes of Syracuse. The next 3 games are our toughest of the season: @UH, UC (who *always* beat us), @USF. We could be (and probably are) looking at 3 straight losses and then a home game against UCF, who are starting to put things together offensively under Scott Frost. I wanted to be at least 3-1 heading into Houston. At 2-2, it makes every single game after this 3 game stretch a must win just to get back into a garbage bowl game.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In August I would have thought 6 wins was the absolute bottom. At this point I definitely don't see 4 more wins. 3-9 or 4-8. Tulane and UCF are toss ups at best now.

Reaction Score
I see a final record of 4-8, does this get Diaco canned or do we continue with the sinking ship? Any other predictions on final record?
The one small (and I mean small) improvement I see is we are in all our games and not getting blown out. This may change next week against a vastly better level of competition. The other improvement I see is the Kids like Diaco and play for him with their all. Neither thing existed with the Devil Twins. That said, hardly anything else has shown major improvement and the rate of meaningful change is unacceptable. Oline no change. Pass game, no change. O production, nominal change. Scoring, nominal change. Run game, degraded. Kick return, non existent. D, no pass rush improvement. Pass D, degraded. Run D, good. Overall D, degraded. Kick game, excellent.

Diaco has until the end of the year to turn it around in a meaningful way. I wouldn't waste another year if the team remains where it is. The extra year just puts us deeper into a hole. To quote the philosopher, Kenny Rogers - "you gotta know when to fold em."

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We're not going 4-8. Calm down.

Here is what I think will happen the rest of the way.
Houston (A) L
Cincy (H) W -They barely beat Miami (OH) so I think at home this is a 50/50 game.
USF (A) L
UCF (H) W -Their only two wins the last two years are against FIU and an FCS team.
ECU (A) L -This is another 50/50 game, but I think home field gives it to them.
Temple (H) W -They stink. Army (who beat them) was overrated and lost to Buffalo yesterday. They lost half their starters from last year.
BC (A) W -Their only five wins the last two years is against 3 FCS teams, NIU, and UMass.
Tulane (H) W -It's Tulane. No explanation necessary.

That would put us at 7-5.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't know where all of the confidence in beating Cincinnati comes from. We never beat them. Ever. Our defense looked its worse against Cinci last year. It looks its worst every year against Cincinnati. And when our offense can't keep up with their scoring pace, it gets deflated and we are blown out. Every. Single. Year.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I don't know where all of the confidence in beating Cincinnati comes from. We never beat them. Ever. Our defense looked its worse against Cinci last year. It looks its worst every year against Cincinnati. And when our offense can't keep up with their scoring pace, it gets deflated and we are blown out. Every. Single. Year.
A) We're due a victory against them. B) This Cincy team blows. They barely took care of 0-4 Miami (OH). Yes, we are not good either, but at least we are at home. The only reason we are not 4-0 is bad strategy and play calling. I didn't think we were going to win the Cincy game at the beginning of the year, but given the way they are playing and if Diaco can avoid Diacoing, I think we will win at home.

Reaction Score
We were small favorites yesterday. If losing that game totally changed your view of the next 8 games, that's on you, not HCBD.

It's not about yesterday, it's about an obvious pattern.

Dooley

Reaction Score
A) We're due a victory against them. B) This Cincy team blows. They barely took care of 0-4 Miami (OH). Yes, we are not good either, but at least we are at home. The only reason we are not 4-0 is bad strategy and play calling. I didn't think we were going to win the Cincy game at the beginning of the year, but given the way they are playing and if Diaco can avoid Diacoing, I think we will win at home.

To be honest, I have more confidence in beating USF on the road (only because we always seem to play close games against them) than I do in beating Cincinnati at home. We just don't ever match up well against them.

Reaction Score
(1) Coach Diaco has to go!!! We need to spend $ to make $. Guys check out Western Kentuckey under Jeff Bromh play calling, style of play
Best team in C-USA (2) Get a top NCAA or ex NFL coach ex (Michigan w/ Jim H) who can fill the stands & recruit (3) Uconn needs to get membership in to AAU( Association of American Universities) . Then and only then can it hope to have the best chance to get into
(4) THE BIG IO next go around

shizzle787

Reaction Score
To be honest, I have more confidence in beating USF on the road (only because we always seem to play close games against them) than I do in beating Cincinnati at home. We just don't ever match up well against them.
I see where you are coming from, but I think USF is much better than Cincy. Our season isn't over yet. Our conference in football isn't that bad either this year. We have a better winning percentage against both the P5 and FBS as a whole than the Big 12, and no body in the AAC has a losing record through 4 weeks (only the SEC can also say that).

Dooley

Reaction Score
All we have to do is hire Jim Harbaugh.

Damn this is simple to fix.

I was thinking Urban Meyer, but agree with the premise that we should be poaching one of the head coaches from the tOSU/Michigan rivalry.

Reaction Score
All we have to do is hire Jim Harbaugh.

Damn this is simple to fix.
no not Jim Harbaugh that was an example read the whole thing it was more about Uconn getting into the BIG IO. Not the Big 12

Reaction Score
We're not going 4-8. Calm down.

Here is what I think will happen the rest of the way.
Houston (A) L
Cincy (H) W -They barely beat Miami (OH) so I think at home this is a 50/50 game.
USF (A) L
UCF (H) W -Their only two wins the last two years are against FIU and an FCS team.
ECU (A) L -This is another 50/50 game, but I think home field gives it to them.
Temple (H) W -They stink. Army (who beat them) was overrated and lost to Buffalo yesterday. They lost half their starters from last year.
BC (A) W -Their only five wins the last two years is against 3 FCS teams, NIU, and UMass.
Tulane (H) W -It's Tulane. No explanation necessary.

That would put us at 7-5.
Not saying Tulane is super duper but they have a new coach with a running style offense and have the same record as UConn with a close loss to Navy and a 7-3 loss to WF who beat Duke who beat ND - just sayin' hard for me as a UConn fan to find any "no explanation necessary" opponents on our schedule.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I'm hopeful for a "what the duck" win over the next three (for some reason I think it is Cincy) and if we can scrape by UCF, Tulane and BC that would get us to 6. Would have been a lot easier if we had taken out Syracuse (or Navy for that matter) but we've shown an ability to play to the level of our competition so far which means that every game has been close. That might not hold up this Thursday but you never know.

Last year we won games we shouldn't have by making the game ugly, forcing / receiving turnovers and not giving the ball away ourselves. This year, our offense has already given up 21 points off TO returns. We just can't afford to to that if we want to win these close games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom