$20K A Month In Spousal Support ?? [merged thread] | The Boneyard

$20K A Month In Spousal Support ?? [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Glory Johnson wants $20K a month in spousal support from
Brittney Griner

Glory Johnson is seeking temporary spousal support and attorney fees from Brittney Griner, who petitioned to annul their marriage.

Court documents filed June 29 in Maricopa County, Arizona, detail Johnson's request that Griner pay $20,000 per month in spousal support, plus a $10,000 advancement toward attorney fees for Johnson's counsel.

An evidentiary hearing is set for...

[MORE] form Mechelle Voepel at espnW

Reaction Score
I thought the (additional) weird part was that Johnson also wants Griner to continue to make the payments on a Mercedes she bought for Johnson. My question is: why didn't Griner just pay for the car outright?

According to a 2014 ESPN Magazine article, while Griner made a little under $50,000 in 2013 in the WNBA, she earned $600,000 playing in China and has a $1 million endorsement contract from Nike.

Reaction Score
What about child support ?
The law in some states not wanting a baby to be without support dictated that the husband was the father regardless of who the biological father is. So unless and until the court "annuls " the union Griner will, more than likely, be held responsible. States vary, but in the interest of the child this may happen. A union of less than a few weeks however are usually more easily dissolved. Lawyers may disagree.

Reaction Score
How can you claim spousal support/alimony when you have been married so briefly? I think if she had married a man, such a claim would be thrown out in most states' courts. And deservedly so.
Wonderful thing about US court rulings--it's a crap shoot. Like the ruling on "disparaging" remarks, once that was called freedom of expression, or slander.

Marriage is marriage I don't think the Supreme Court made any distinction of male or female spouses as the husbands. Why then should the court rulings be different?

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wonderful thing about US court rulings--it's a crap shoot. Like the ruling on "disparaging" remarks, once that was called freedom of expression, or slander.

Marriage is marriage I don't think the Supreme Court made any distinction of male or female spouses as the husbands. Why then should the court rulings be different?

Oh, they should be exactly the same. I just think "traditional" matrimonial law (dealing with hetero marriages) should be a litmus lest as to how the law should apply to same-sex marriages. I know in some states the duration of the marriage absolutely matters in alimony/spousal support determinations.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Very disappointing to see Johnson taking this step. However, the question is whether or not she can prove that they were both in agreement that Glory was to have the IV procedure, not merely discussed it. Glory claims that BG was in agreement and BG claims that Glory had the procedure without her knowledge. If BG did agree to the procedure taking place then I agree that she should be responsible for paying Johnson for lost wages as I am sure that she would have done the same had they both agreed to continue their marriage.

I haven't calculated the timing, but does this mean that Glory was pregnant when the fight occurred? if so, WTF were they thinking?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How can you claim spousal support/alimony when you have been married so briefly? I think if she had married a man, such a claim would be thrown out in most states' courts. And deservedly so.
That's what I was thinking. Isn't length of marriage usually considered for spousal support?

Reaction Score
Those two should join the Reality Show along with Caitlyn dressing in bikini...LOL

HGN

Reaction Score
Maybe that was what the fight was about......Maybe Glory revealed the unexpected pregnancy to BG and things got a little heated resulting in fisticuffs. Glory may charge that Griner put the child's health in danger by hitting her while she was pregnant.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe that was what the fight was about.Maybe Glory revealed the unexpected pregnancy to BG and things got a little heated resulting in fisticuffs. Glory may charge that Griner put the child's health in danger by hitting her while she was pregnant.
Let's not start speculating, please. The facts we know are sordid enough.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
And the Kardasians, and Caitlyn Jenner, and Honey Boo Boo, and the Paris girls, and Olsen twins, and Miley Cyrus, and anyone who's ever been on The View, etc. etc. etc.
When I was in college (1975-1979), I believe one of my crustier Jesuit Journalism professors saw this coming. At that time, People Magazine was just beginning to take off. He declared in class numerous times that the first 5,000 people who appeared in People magazine should be killed to end this infatuation with celebrity. He cited the need for an ongoing campaign, lest people think we are not serious. And despite the threat of death, he was sure it would take 5,000 examples to get the point across. He never addressed the disconnect of a priest advocating murder and none of us was brave enough to ask.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When I was in college (1975-1979), I believe one of my crustier Jesuit Journalism professors saw this coming. At that time, People Magazine was just beginning to take off. He declared in class numerous times that the first 5,000 people who appeared in People magazine should be killed to end this infatuation with celebrity. He cited the need for an ongoing campaign, lest people think we are not serious. And despite the threat of death, he was sure it would take 5,000 examples to get the point across. He never addressed the disconnect of a priest advocating murder and none of us was brave enough to ask.
Sounds like a great idea to me.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
And the Kardasians, and Caitlyn Jenner, and Honey Boo Boo, and the Paris girls, and Olsen twins, and Miley Cyrus, and anyone who's ever been on The View, etc. etc. etc.

Can I like this a few million times???

Reaction Score
IF (<big if) the pregnancy was planned between the two of them, then I could see spousal support for the first year when Glory is not playing. It seems like it would have been the plan for Britney to support the family while Glory was pregnant.
After that, child support only if the child was planned by both. Hopefully somebody has evidence that this pregnancy was or was not the couple's plan

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feeling like I'm staring at a car crash as I drive by but, you know, I just can't turn away from the Griner/Johnson debacle. It's fascinating on so many levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom