2022-2023 Record Prediction | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022-2023 Record Prediction

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No idea why you have us losing to Tennessee. They have nowhere near the talent that we do - to put a loss to them under the "best" case prediction is ... mildly insane.
Eric............I literally laughed out loud when I read your comment. Good one sir!!! :D

Reaction Score
I should also have said, "AND going against each other in practice." Dorka and Amari are tall. Ice and Aaliyah are big and strong. Ayanna is strong and "jumps out of the gym." Aubrey jumps out of the gym and never saw a rebound she didn't fight for.

AND they have Jamelle Elliott and Chris Dailey. Jamelle was the hardest-working undersized post I can remember. If she can put 10% of her fire into these kids they'll be doing well. Chris knows how to get the most out of her post players. You can bet she has set up some sort of competition among them to see who boxes out best, moves the best laterally, reads the shot the best. . . Whatever needs to be done, I think UConn's frontcourt players and coaches will make sure it gets done.

49-22, 21-6. I hope that's pasted onto each frontcourt player's locker. That was the rebound margin (total and offensive) in the title game last year. The November game was 42-25, 19-6. They need to make sure that doesn't happen Absolutely, Absolutely, Ansolutely
I should also have said, "AND going against each other in practice." Dorka and Amari are tall. Ice and Aaliyah are big and strong. Ayanna is strong and "jumps out of the gym." Aubrey jumps out of the gym and never saw a rebound she didn't fight for.

AND they have Jamelle Elliott and Chris Dailey. Jamelle was the hardest-working undersized post I can remember. If she can put 10% of her fire into these kids they'll be doing well. Chris knows how to get the most out of her post players. You can bet she has set up some sort of competition among them to see who boxes out best, moves the best laterally, reads the shot the best. . . Whatever needs to be done, I think UConn's frontcourt players and coaches will make sure it gets done.

49-22, 21-6. I hope that's pasted onto each frontcourt player's locker. That was the rebound margin (total and offensive) in the title game last year. The November game was 42-25, 19-6. They need to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Absolutely Absolutely Absolutely Correct!!
Bet your bottom dollar that 2 of the top 6 bigs in their recruiting class did not come to UCONN to sit OR get pushed around once on the court.
Those rebounding figures against SC are an embarrassment- and the reason why Geno has “bulked up “ his front line.
I believe there are a number of multiple AA’s on this team that we haven’t seen play one game yet.
Do I believe that UCONN can win it all this year?
You bet.
Would I be terribly shocked if they do not?
Not really.
But let me say that UCONN WBB is on a HUGE uptrend.
Truely believe there are multiple National Championships in the next several years.
( so much for a SC dynasty)

Reaction Score
23,000?

When was the last time Tennessee had even 15,000 at a home game? It's been a while, even counting games against SC.

There were less than 4000 fans when UConn played at TBA 2 seasons ago. There will be more this season but 23k?
If I’m not mistaken, there were Covid restrictions in place when UCONN played that game in Knoxville 2 years ago.
Attendance was capped at 4,000 or so, and social distancing rules were in effect.

Reaction Score
This team should regularly score an average of 65-75 ppg.
I predict we average >80/g

They get up for every game because they’re doing for Coach P… and Jamelle.

Three 6’5” players? I’ve been wondering this same thing, just because in recent photos Ice looks to be roughly the same height as Dorka and Amari.
"ICE" has been taking lessons "elevating" from YANNA!! ( expand the thread comment to
see my response in " context"

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If I’m not mistaken, there were Covid restrictions in place when UCONN played that game in Knoxville 2 years ago.
Attendance was capped at 4,000 or so, and social distancing rules were in effect.
Good point. I forgot about that.

Still, The Lady Vols haven't drawn 23000 fans at TBA in years as far as I can tell.

Tennessee's high-water mark last season was 11,613 against LSU.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why? Horston, to me, is the most underrated player in the country; who will now be able to player her natural position. A front line of her, Rackea Jackson, and Tamari Key is pretty good. They have shooters, a PG, and a great transfer from Minnesota. Plus, the game is on the road where there will be 23k in TBA.

I might be wrong, but there is no way I'm overlooking this team and these are all Jolly's players now.

I don't was to lose to them, obvi. But I don't think this is a guaranteed win.
I agree with your take except for the last sentence. I'm NOT conceding anything. Going into Thompson-Bolling Arena in Knoxville that night will be by far............THE MOST hostile arena UConn will play in this year. It won't be easy. Any UConn fans brave enough to attend that game wearing UConn gear will also get jeered and booed. The players absolutely CANNOT have rabbit ears that game.

Most of those fans (the old guard) hate Geno and UConn with a passion that's indescribable. UConn will receive a reception that night commensurate with the disdain and vitriol they harbor for us. Tennessee and Notre Dame are the two teams I don't want to lose to. If we lose to someone else, so be be it, but not these two.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This UConn team is top heavy with shooters and scorers. This team should regularly score an average of 65-75 ppg. The question is how many ppg will they allow?
I'm with Bone Dog somewhat -- I think it'll be more like 75-80.

But that's beside the point. I've said before that I think this team has the potential to hang its hat on its defense. Don't forget Aubrey is back. If there's lax defense a couple of possessions in a row, Geno can put Nika, Aubrey, and Ayanna on the floor all at the same time.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm with Bone Dog somewhat -- I think it'll be more like 75-80.

But that's beside the point. I've said before that I think this team has the potential to hang its hat on its defense. Don't forget Aubrey is back. If there's lax defense a couple of possessions in a row, Geno can put Nika, Aubrey, and Ayanna on the floor all at the same time.
Me too, but I was trying to come in with a "lowball" prediction. It would not surprise me if they busted 90 at least 8-9 times this year. :) I've said in several posts recently, UConn IS NOT going to have problems scoring points......too many players that can shoot/score.

One more thing I neglected to add in my last rant. I want to see one of our BIGS declared the BADD ASS of the game at least 10 games or 1/3 of the time. I don't care which one, just one of our BIGS. I don't want to see Azzi, Caroline, Nika, Lou, Aubrey or Aaliyah proclaimed the BA every game. :mad:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
54.9% defensive ppg last year. THAT would work for me. Try to keep opponents at or under 59 ppg. Thanks Cat.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You mean the year with covid restrictions ? Come on be fair lol
Yes, I acknowledged it above. Read post #33. Not sure how you could miss it. I forgot about Covid. I know, how could I?

My original point is correct, though. Tennessee has drawn crowds anywhere close to 23,000 since the Parker years.

Reaction Score
Would we accept a loss to TN if we could trade it in for another final four ? Or a Tennessee win and a loss in the elite 8/s16 ?

Reaction Score
Yes, I acknowledged it above. Read post #33. Not sure how you could miss it. I forgot about Covid. I know, how could I?

My original point is correct, though. Tennessee has drawn crowds anywhere close to 23,000 since the Parker years.
I deleted it i had to continue reading updated posts to see you had already answered this comment by someone else sorry. Overall attendance wont make a difference in the court performance this year. It's all or nothing for Tennessee imo . With paige beating tennessee is a no brainer without her and the team they have this season im concerned.

Reaction Score
Would we accept a loss to TN if we could trade it in for another final four ? Or a Tennessee win and a loss in the elite 8/s16 ?
Really?
What do you think?

Reaction Score
With paige beating tennessee is a no brainer without her and the team they have this season im concerned.
I dunno, we beat them pretty handily last season without Paige, Dorka, or Caroline. They may be stronger this year, but I'd say we're more strongerer too, as things now stand.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I dunno, we beat them pretty handily last season without Paige, Dorka, or Caroline. They may be stronger this year, but I'd say we're more strongerer too, as things now stand.
Dorka played, but you're correct: no Paige or Caroline.

Reaction Score
A loss in Knoxville on Jan. 26th would not alter U Conn's trajectory to the final 4 or the N. C. I am also predicting that Tenn. does not make the final four. The S.E.C. this season is setting up like murderers row.

Reaction Score
39 and 1. S Carolina is the only mountain they'll have to climb. That game will be more mental
than physical. After game one, we'll figure it out!.

Reaction Score
Strongerer i love it lol . Time will tell where a lot of this season pre-season picks stand and how strong they are . History says we are def stronger than Tenn with or without paige. This year there's question marks on both . The losses of our squad with injury and senior departs and the additions to their squad with chemistry and history of not living up to potential. Im excited !

Reaction Score
Geno will see to it that the defense keeps opponents under 55 PPG avg. If they don't play his defense, they ain't gonna.
play.

Last season PB, CW, ONO, & EW combined to score 1342 points, which is slightly more than half of the 2656 points the team scored, averaging 73.78 PPG. That's the hole that needs filling.

The season will be a tale of two seasons. The first half (leading up to DePaul) may see a few more losses than most people want to see. 2-3 losses to Texas, NC State, Duke, ND, or Maryland might happen. That's all right if the team stays injury free, gels and grows offensively, and the most important piece, the two freshmen, Brady and Patterson start or move into the first 7 rotation AND average 10-12 PPG each. New Lou needs to earn meaningful minutes and score 6-8 PPG. If all that happens and averages 22-24 PPG, AE, DJ, & CD avg 10-12 PPG, then we're on the right track. What ever you get from NM and AG is gravy.

The second half of the season might see a loss to SC, but if all goes to plan they could run the table after Feb 5.

Reaction Score
Why? Horston, to me, is the most underrated player in the country; who will now be able to player her natural position. A front line of her, Rackea Jackson, and Tamari Key is pretty good. They have shooters, a PG, and a great transfer from Minnesota. Plus, the game is on the road where there will be 23k in TBA.

I might be wrong, but there is no way I'm overlooking this team and these are all Jolly's players now.

I don't was to lose to them, obvi. But I don't think this is a guaranteed win.

Nobody's overlooking Tenn. They will be tough and they will be home. But UConn appears to be very deep on their own front line and as long as UConn can play even in the paint UConn's outside shooters should win it.

Best - 40-0

Worst - 37-3

Losses: SCar, FF & one of a large group of possiblities.

If I had to pick a team to lose to it would be Creighton.

For all the questions about UConn, when I look around the usual suspects I see teams with more holes than the Huskies. Many of those teams are looking for someone new to the program to step into a starting position and for some it's multiple new players. There are all sorts of reasons for transfers and some of those aren't complimentary to the player.

Reaction Score

It was more than 5 years ago that I read the the upper level seats are curtained off.
The rental cost of the hall remains the same though. It's nice to have 23K seats but only if you can sell them.

Reaction Score
Just thinking about the last Tennessee game, Azzi torched them shooting 7/9 from 3 and one statement drive against Horston who was unable to stop her. Christyn had one of her off-shooting nights, but recovered enough to put in 6 quick points at the beginning of the 3rd quarter followed by 8 pts from Nika including a statement mid court steal off the dribble from Walker. Tennessee never recovered, and when they showed any sign of life, Azzi rained down daggers or Evina would make a steal and score.

The painful truth of that game was that Tennessee was simply too slow. One thing that might mean for us is that we could play 3 bigs against them and let Amari Ice and Ayanna get a feel for the game against a major opponent.

I often think of that game as a sort of paradigm for Nika's best work. It happens in the 3rd quarter, she disrupts an opponent's guards, demoralizes an entire team, and they don't have a chance to recover. I hope to see a lot more of this from her this season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We are all concerned about our depth at the point. We have a pretty good PG in Nika and Azzi backing her up. Some of the teams some of you are mentioning dont have a PG? Look what happened to Stanford last season in the NCAAs? Nika may not score alot of points but she brings fire and she can play the point. If Azzi is NOT at the point that means Lou Amari of Ice will be the other player imo. We are gonna learn alot about UConn against Kutztown Northeastern Texas and NC State. IF we start the season 10-0 it will be a wakeup call to everybody. This team lacks two things. Depth at the point and experience after the starting 5. IMO your chances of winning big games without a PG is slim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom