2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If you remember this young lady was at First Night just a few weeks ago

Mike Zacchio @Zacchio_LoHud
.@OHSPride girls basketball sophomore Aubrey Griffin tore her ACL this weekend and is done for the season. Major D-I recruit. Horrible blow.
0 replies0 retweets1 like

I really hate hearing about things like this. I can only imagine the pain and disappointment she must feel.

Reaction Score
The only good news is that she has plenty of company...............Coombs, Gabby twice I believe and of course Morgan Tuck among so many players who overcame the knee thing.............it'[s truly become an epidemic, my daughter's high school team has lost 4 players to ACL tears in the past year, several for the second time but on different knees.....................virtually every day I see a tweet about another player lost for the season...............from a coldblooded perspective, teams need deeper benches these days for just this reason

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The only good news is that she has plenty of company.....Coombs, Gabby twice I believe and of course Morgan Tuck among so many players who overcame the knee thing...it'[s truly become an epidemic, my daughter's high school team has lost 4 players to ACL tears in the past year, several for the second time but on different knees......virtually every day I see a tweet about another player lost for the season.....from a coldblooded perspective, teams need deeper benches these days for just this reason
I think beyond just the change in athleticism and the perhaps playing and working out too much, the quality of the shoes isn't helping - like getting a cleat stuck, the shoes have too much traction - instead of sliding out from under a player all the stress is transferred up the foot to the ankles and knees. Moriah and Tiffany before her solved that problem by allowing themselves to fall to the ground - more bruises but fewer strains in trying to stay upright.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think beyond just the change in athleticism and the perhaps playing and working out too much, the quality of the shoes isn't helping - like getting a cleat stuck, the shoes have too much traction - instead of sliding out from under a player all the stress is transferred up the foot to the ankles and knees. Moriah and Tiffany before her solved that problem by allowing themselves to fall to the ground - more bruises but fewer strains in trying to stay upright.
Also there is something to be said for low top sneakers. Years ago to protect against a rash of ankle injuries players went to high tops which SEEMS to have transfered stress from the ankle further up the leg. Now we see a rash of shin splint and knee injuries.

Reaction Score
Also there is something to be said for low top sneakers. Years ago to protect against a rash of ankle injuries players went to high tops which SEEMS to have transfered stress from the ankle further up the leg. Now we see a rash of shin splint and knee injuries.

I have been told that wearing high top sneakers from a young age prevents the ankles from gaining maximum strength....................my daughter has patellar tendonitis or "jumper's knee" and one expert in that area recommended that she wear low sneakers to build up ankle strength..............

JordyG

Reaction Score
I have been told that wearing high top sneakers from a young age prevents the ankles from gaining maximum strength.....my daughter has patellar tendonitis or "jumper's knee" and one expert in that area recommended that she wear low sneakers to build up ankle strength....
Something to be said....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm betting that Aubrey will get lots of attention and consoling from Coach Shea. Few have had more leg injuries than Shea.

Reaction Score
My guy Tiny thinks he's got a '19 kid that might be UConn worthy..............he's had a lot of good ones through his program including the Mabrey sisters and Faith Masonious and he is quite a shrewd judge of talent...............I have only seen her play once in person but she has + skills and the intangibles that you don't find too often...........ESPN has her at 3 stars #19 in her position but that should change after this season

ellonya Tiny Green ‏@CoachTinyGreen 23h23 hours ago
Call me crazy but folks I believe Lola Mullanney is U Conn good enough lets see,,,she just is a perfect fit for how they play

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Adamec piece on '19 PG Anaya Peoples:

Among the recruits she met was junior Charli Collier, who announced her decision to attend UConn on Saturday.

"Watching their practices was great, they're such high energy," Peoples said. "I learned a lot just by watching the players and Coach Auriemma. I watched how they interacted and how well they worked together."

And she came away from her visit with a new goal -- to receive a scholarship offer from UConn.

Peoples a recruit with plenty to offer

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Adamec piece on '19 PG Anaya Peoples:

Among the recruits she met was junior Charli Collier, who announced her decision to attend UConn on Saturday.

"Watching their practices was great, they're such high energy," Peoples said. "I learned a lot just by watching the players and Coach Auriemma. I watched how they interacted and how well they worked together."

And she came away from her visit with a new goal -- to receive a scholarship offer from UConn.

Peoples a recruit with plenty to offer
I like a kid who has been part of a 90-game winning streak. Not many players have done that.

Though we have a nearly full house next season, I think we could use more Peoples in 2019. ;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Wishing Aubrey a speedy recovery. Aubrey can also take comfort in something more recent than Sue Bird. In the last 3 recruiting classes UCONN has recruited a player that had ACL issues/surgeries in HS. Gabby, Molly & Mikayla. Go back just a little further and you also have Morgan & Caroline. Like the 6 million dollar man , UCONN can & has rebuilt them and made them stronger.

PS hope that $6mil man reference didn't go over the head of the youngins out there.
Coco: I wasn't aware of Molly having a problem. Can you elaborate please?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I always thought Stewie was a virtuoso faller. It was all gangliness. It's worked for her so far.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco: I wasn't aware of Molly having a problem. Can you elaborate please?
The specifics in my mind are fuzzy and hopefully long ago in Molly's rear view mirror. What I recall is that prior to transferring to Tabor from Molly had a knee injury at Barnstable (sp) here she is with a brace. Like Caroline Doty I believe Molly's was injured playing soccer.
upload_2016-11-28_20-48-49.png

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The specifics in my mind are fuzzy and hopefully long ago in Molly's rear view mirror. What I recall is that prior to transferring to Tabor from Molly had a knee injury at Barnstable (sp) here she is with a brace. Like Caroline Doty I believe Molly's was injured playing soccer. View attachment 17232
Thanks. Hopefully it was a sprain or some such with little or no lasting effect.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I always thought Stewie was a virtuoso faller. It was all gangliness. It's worked for her so far.
Actually, I meant to say it was NOT all gangliness. She learned how to fall and it served her well.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I like a kid who has been part of a 90-game winning streak. Not many players have done that.

Though we have a nearly full house next season, I think we could use more Peoples in 2019. ;)

Peoples has played with Best Choice Fieldhouse United, the AAU team based out of Indianapolis, for a number of years. Here's a link to a training tape of her from 2013. The girl she's training with is Katlyn Gilbert, another Best Choice Guard (Class of 2018), who has already committed to Notre Dame. Many prominent supporters of ND would love to have Ms. Peoples follow her BFF to South Bend. The Irish need a PG in a major way from that class of 2018, but who knows in 2019...you can never have enough good people(s), right? ;):D

Article: Peoples exceeds expectations

Training Tape:

Reaction Score
Several local docs have written paper looking at cause being playing same sport 12 months out of year. Not just the sport itself, but all the focused exercise. Limited stats back this up as well as indicate girls have a higher risk of knee injuries.

Reaction Score
Several local docs have written paper looking at cause being playing same sport 12 months out of year. Not just the sport itself, but all the focused exercise. Limited stats back this up as well as indicate girls have a higher risk of knee injuries.

My daughter's orthopedist showed us models of the female and male knee and explained that the female knee have several "design flaws" that lead to a greater incidence of serious injury...........I grit my teeth every time she takes a fall or lands badly during a game

JordyG

Reaction Score

My daughter's orthopedist showed us models of the female and male knee and explained that the female knee have several "design flaws" that lead to a greater incidence of serious injury......I grit my teeth every time she takes a fall or lands badly during a game

All making the use of low top sneakers more of a must for young ladies to minimize that risk as much as possible.

Reaction Score
The ACL/shoe chat reminds me of "Old Coach", a smart guy who led many similar discussions here years ago. Despite many more studies and papers on the topic, (anecdotally) it sounds like the incidence of ACLs hasn't improved. It's disappointing...and tough for so many athletes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The ACL/shoe chat reminds me of "Old Coach", a smart guy who led many similar discussions here years ago. Despite many more studies and papers on the topic, (anecdotally) it sounds like the incidence of ACLs hasn't improved. It's disappointing...and tough for so many athletes.
Very true - the knee is just not a perfect design and carrying almost all of the bodies weight 'in space' it is put under considerably greater force and strain that any other joint than the ankle. All that said, the number of athletes that suffer tears is still relatively small compared to those that don't - no one reads headlines saying 'team of 15 gets through season without suffering any ACL tears'. The number of female athletes participating in serious sports activity has exploded, so there are many more injuries as part of that explosion.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Coaches' stats can be off a bit, but according to the coach of Monroe High, Sam Brunelle had the following line Friday (12/2)

21 points, 22 rebounds, 9 assists, 8 blocks
Good to see she's improved her rebounding and blocks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom